The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Irish Hussars / M G C

under131

post-31283-1213470097.jpgpost-31283-1213441317.jpg

Please see attached photo Of my Grandfather A H G Underwood Can anyone tell me if this is the uniform of the 1st Irish Hussars As i am told by my father.

He served In the Kyber pass and Ireland befor WW1 and transferd to the M G C 108145 survived and

de mobed in abt 1922

Another pic of Grandfather in his M G C uniform abt 1918 at sisters wedding my dad says he remembers seeing Irish Hussars on his demob papers wich he has unfortunatly losst any other thougts

Thanks Ian

Looks like a Scotish Infantry regt to me rather than a Irish cavalry one. There was no 1st Irish Hussars. Worth an MIC check!

Hi Ian,

I guess this is him:

post-12444-1213444089.jpg

Yes thats his medle card But cant find rest of his sevis record

post-31283-1213441317.jpg

Please see attached photo Of my Grandfather A H G Underwood Can anyone tell me if this is the uniform of the 1st Irish Hussars As i am told by my father.

He served In the Kyber pass and Ireland befor WW1 and transferd to the M G C 108145 survived and

de mobed in abt 1922

Yours with thanks Ian Underwood

He is wearing the unique (red and white diced with no green or blue squares) glengarry and cap badge of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

He is wearing the unique (red and white diced with no green or blue squares) glengarry and cap badge of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

... but the card says MGC which is Machine Gun Corps. He cannot have served abroad with the Argylls, so must either have transferred from the Argylls to the MGC before going abroad, or (less likely given his apparent youth) transferred from MGC to the Argylls after the War.

Ron

PS sorry, I should have read your original post more carefully.

Another thought: could yourg randfather have said "1st A & S Highlanders" and your father misheard him?

... but the card says MGC which is Machine Gun Corps. He cannot have served abroad with the Argylls, so must either have transferred from the Argylls to the MGC before going abroad, or (less likely given his apparent youth) transferred from MGC to the Argylls after the War.

Ron

PS sorry, I should have read your original post more carefully.

Another thought: could yourg randfather have said "1st A & S Highlanders" and your father misheard him?

Ron, if this is him, then he is incontrovertibly wearing a A&SH glengarry. Given how young he is I imagine it is in the early part of his military service, it might even be Territorials (part timers) before was called up/enlisted into the Regulars or, more likely, he was in the MG section of his A&SH battalion, which was then swept up with all other MG sections into the Machine Gun Corps (as per the original pic on left) in 1916.

Interestingly some Ancestry entries give Hussars for Highlanders - and they ahve it in writing!

Interestingly some Ancestry entries give Hussars for Highlanders - and they ahve it in writing!

He could have just as easily gone from A&SH to Hussars as A&SH to MGC so that doesn't really tell us anything.