Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing Grandad's deployments

Nick Quine

Hello,

Seeking wisdom and knowledge from those better informed than me...

My grandfather served as a private in the Kings (Liverpool) Regt, enlisting in 1915 when he would have been 19, and being discharged in 1919. I believe he was sent to Salonika and, thanks to this forum now have a list of the regimental units deployed there. I also know he was wounded in France in 1917, but not discharged until two years later. What I want to find out is where he was at particular times so I can guess what he might have been doing at any time.

I have an image of his medal card, which is frustratingly short on information, although being a mere amateur have not consulted the roll at Kew. He received the victoy medal and the British War Medal, but no Star.

His details are as follows:

Pte. Thomas N Quine 36804 Kings (Liverpool) Regiment

Oddly, there is another Thomas Quine who served in the Balkans on the same medal card set, but he has a different regimental no. and I can't read his regiment. I tried uploading the image, but the file is too big.

Can anyone help?

The medal roll will probably give you the battalion he served with; his service papers, if they existed gave details for dates in theatres.

Hi NickO, welcome to the forum,

WO 363/Q17 would suggest that Thomas' service papers are at the NA, but not on ancestry. A check of the actual medal rolls at the NA should confirm his battalion.

Images need to be 100kb or below to post on the forum,

cheers, Jon

Pte Quine enlisted in Liverpool possibly in December 1915 but most probably in early 1916. He served abroad with 14 KLR (date he went abroad not known) and when this Battalion was disbanded on 13/8/18 he was transferred to 18 KLR. 14 KLR arrived at Salonica from 5/11/15 and left for France 11/6/18 via Italy.

Although Jon suggests that your fathers papers are at the NA this is only partly true - the catalogue merely states that those papers that have survived with surnames between Quin Dominic to Quincey Harry can be found on microfilm reel Q17 - your grandfather's papers may not be amongst them.

Promenade

• 2 weeks later...
Pte Quine enlisted in Liverpool possibly in December 1915 but most probably in early 1916. He served abroad with 14 KLR (date he went abroad not known) and when this Battalion was disbanded on 13/8/18 he was transferred to 18 KLR. 14 KLR arrived at Salonica from 5/11/15 and left for France 11/6/18 via Italy.

Although Jon suggests that your fathers papers are at the NA this is only partly true - the catalogue merely states that those papers that have survived with surnames between Quin Dominic to Quincey Harry can be found on microfilm reel Q17 - your grandfather's papers may not be amongst them.

Promenade

Promenade, you are clearly some kind of genius, as your detailed knowledge elswhere on the message boards amply displays. Thank you!

However (there's always one), my information indicates my grandfather was wounded in France in 1917 (I've seen the original slip with the details on, don't know what it's called, but shows date and type of injury. My uncle has it. It's about the size of a postcard) How could that be if the 14th Battalion were still in Salonika? Or is this just an example of the fog of war?

Regards, Nick

He received the victoy medal and the British War Medal, but no Star.

I recently asked the same question so the answer is easy; your grandfather was probably not in France during the qualifying period.

Actually the stars are the 1914 Star and the 1914-1915 Star. For the former, the man had to be on the strength of a unit in France or Belgium prior to midnight 22-23 November 1914; for the latter the man had to be on the strength of a unit in a theater of war between 5 August 1914 and 31 December 1915. Samuel evidentially went to France after 31 December 1915. Regards, Dick Flory

my information indicates my grandfather was wounded in France in 1917 (I've seen the original slip with the details on, don't know what it's called, but shows date and type of injury. My uncle has it. It's about the size of a postcard) How could that be if the 14th Battalion were still in Salonika? Or is this just an example of the fog of war?

Regards, Nick

Nick, does it actuallty state 'France' ? Or was it just assumed to be France? Might be worth re-checking this document for its content?

Ian

NickQ

Kew Archives have the War Diary for 14 KLR under WO95/4852. It runs from Oct 1915 to June 1918. This will show on a day-to-day basis what is happening and where it's happening.This Bn was part of 65 Brigade of 22 Division and was indeed based in Salonika,it seems for the majority of the time span of the Diary quoted above. I would think that Oct 1915 was when they organised and moved off to the Eastern Med. June 1918 is shown as when they entered France,this in the Long Long Trail,at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/22div.htm

It may be that someone here has an account of this Bns time in Salonika,or knows of a book that may cover it. Otherwise a visit to Kew to read the Diary. The alternative is to buy downloads from the Kew Catalogue, but this would be expensive.

Sotonmate

• 4 weeks later...