Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Height of Guardsmen!

Jonathan Saunders

Was their a minimum of height for Guards prior and during the Great War?

Assuming their was a height requirement what would happen to a boy who had enlisted for Boy Service but had not grown to the required height by his 18th birthday? I assume he would have been ineligible to attest for the Guards but would have to join another regiment.

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan S

that said just found one (who I have a photo of and he looks small) - 4'11 !!!!!!!!!!

Was their a minimum of height for Guards prior and during the Great War?

Jonathan,

The PoW mentions in his memoirs

"My Army commission was signed by my father. On being gazetted to the Grenadier Guards, I was posted to the 1st Battalion, stationed at Warley Barracks, Brentwood, in Essex. I was further detailed to the King's Company. This was a special honour, since my modest 5 feet 7 inches failed by a conspicuous margin to meet the minimum height of 6 feet required for officers and men of this Company. I was a pygmy among giants."

Hardly typical, but perhaps of interest

regards

Michael

Minimum hieghtfor the Brigade of Guards (ecluding officers) was 5ft 7ins. For the Household Cavalry it was 5ft 9ins. This remained so throught the war.

Charles M

Minimum hieghtfor the Brigade of Guards (ecluding officers) was 5ft 7ins. For the Household Cavalry it was 5ft 9ins. This remained so throught the war.

Charles M

clearly not set in stone as I ve seen papers to OR under this height