Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DIGGING a TRENCH

4thGordons

Pals,

Apologies up front for the length.

I have been putting off posting this in part because I didn’t want to do so prematurely and look very foolish and in part because I must admit to being a bit nervous about the reception I might get - but here goes.....

I teach (not history btw!) at a Community College (like an old style UK "poly") in Central IL. Over the past five years I have taken several groups of students to the Western Front battlefields as part of broader trips. One of the things that has always made an impression on the students are the trenches and accounts of life in the trenches. Although an idea had been bubbling for a while about a year ago in a discussion with some colleagues and students after returning from the new National WWI museum in Kansas City, the fascination with "trenches" reemerged. The Kansas City museum has an exhibit a bit like that that the IWM although rather than walking through one "looks into" sections representing various styles of construction. This interest, plus the ninetieth anniversary of the US entry into the war pushed me to make a proposal to a grant process the college has for a year long series of educational and commemorative events building. I called the whole thing "Bringing "over there" back here." In May we had a "symposium" on campus which attracted 250+ people from the community and was a great success - I have had a stream of phone calls and enquires since, and sometimes via help from pals, have been able provide a good deal of helpful information to locals about their relatives service.

In addition, I have done a number of presentations at local schools - I have put together a trunk full of WWI materials and bits of uniform that can be checked out by local teachers for use in their classes - we call it the "trunk from the attic" (again an idea borrowed from the National WWI Museum) to give a hands on tactile element to otherwise rather dry book learning. It seems to me that WWI gets very significantly less attention in the US than it does in Europe (I am a transplanted Brit,) which is perhaps not surprising, but levels of knowledge about the conflict are generally very, very low. However, the major element of the proposed project was to attempt to provide students and community members with an experience of the Western Front, by constructing a representative section of trench on some waste ground on campus. After over six months of meetings, planning, begging and pleading and generally being considered stark- raving mad we began construction a couple of weeks ago. Local companies and labour unions have contributed materials and skills, One of the things that has made this worthwhile already has been the interest, support and cooperation it has produced in the local community. I have a number of student volunteers and a great deal of community interest and the college has been very supportive (although I get the impression people tap their foreheads and point at me when I am not looking!) It looks like it is happening.

I should point out that the exhibit will not – cannot be, totally "realistic". Health and Safety concerns and standards mean depth is limited so we will add a couple of layers of sandbags for parapets etc. We are also on a shoestring budget so "realism" corners are being cut – this is not going to be one for the purists I am afraid (go easy on me! :blush: ), although I am trying to avoid the worst. We hope to replicate some dugouts by burying concrete "box culverts" then timber lining them rather than actually seeking to dig dugouts (again safety – is our primary concern) The design for the exhibit is taken from Notes on Field Fortifications , The Construction of Field Positionsâ and Notes on Construction and Equipment of Trenches (IWM reprint) We have also been using pictures in Cooksey's Flanders 1915 - the idea is to have three sections of fire trench one timber lined in the "German Style", one revetted with brushwood etc in the French manner ( it is proving a bit tough to find suitable materials at the moment) and one using sandbags and corrugated iron etc. So three different appearances are demonstrated. We also hope to create a forward OP etc. The fire trench is reached along two "communications trenches" connected at the back by a slightly wider non-fire stepped "reserve" trench. As I noted, if our donor comes through we will have a dugout off this. We are constructing a semblance of "duckboards" using old pallets (so these will not be realistic but we will have a proper section for demonstration purposes and we will construct a couple of funk holes" etc and stores. A couple of students in period uniform will be stationed at various points to speak with visitors. The front of the trench will be protected with various designs of barbed wire entanglements (which will also server to keep the exhibit secure and stop people falling into it!) based again on designs in contemporary manuals

As of last week we had dug it all out in the rough (yes we cheated and had a JCB do much of it) Working until well after dark on Friday I was able to dress up one corner sufficiently to do a little demonstration at a "Campus visit day" we had on Saturday. Between 50 and 100 prospective students and parents came by and looked around (it helped that the weather was fantastic) and there was great interest- several of them were teachers who indicated they would like to bring classes out.

We plan to officially "open" the exhibit on 11/11 with a brief ceremony and a minute's silence. The local Veterans of Foreign Wars post has offered to provide an Honour guard for this and I am importing a goodly number of poppies courtesy of my dad in the UK. (VFW poppy sale is earlier in the year)- I also have a piper coming. We will keep the exhibit open as long as we can safely maintain it and there is interest. Obviously the weather is unlikely to be great soon so we shall have to see, with the excessive freeze / frost, collapse may be rapid.

I really wanted to avoid a "Disneyworld" feeling and also to simply avoid "playing soldiers" which I suspect may be how it is viewed by some of my colleagues. As noted, it will clearly not be as accurate as it might be (the grant budget is very small and although donors have been generous but there are limits). The purpose of this is both commemorative and educational. To draw attention to a conflict which 90 years ago had a fairly significant impact on this town (and I would argue a huge impact on the US more generally) – and to give people who will probably never have the opportunity to go to the battlefields to experience a little of it. It is also to give some of the students here an opportunity for "practical learning" and to provide a resource (albeit temporarily) for local middle and High schools to bring out students to examine it and hopefully take something more memorable than a multiple choice question with reference to "Archduke Ferdinand, the Lusitania and Woodrow Wilson". Perhaps some empathy for the conditions, the suffering, the bravery and the waste, and also an appreciation for the scale, the technology and ingenuity etc at least this is the aim. For my students and colleagues who have been involved in construction etc it has already been a learning experience! At the exit of the exhibit will be a copy of Sassoon's poem "Aftermath" the closing lines of which are in part my inspiration.

As I said, we have the opening planned for Sunday 11/11 although my student volunteers and I will be putting in long hours to get it ready by then! The project is getting a little local media coverage which (I think!?) the college appreciates but which has the added important benefit of raising awareness of WWI

There has been one recent and (to me) significant development, a student reporter for the college newspaper who is writing a story on this strange endeavour, has managed to secure a phone interview with one of the surviving veterans living in the US. I think she was a little taken aback, (and I will readily admit to pangs of jealousy!) but I urged her to take full advantage of whatever time she has with one of the last surviving members of this generation - I admit to feeling rather nervous regarding his attitude to our small attempt to recreate the front - but happy that someone (the reporter) who two weeks ago knew next to nothing about WWI is now getting this experience.

Today a group 50 or so area schoolchildren visiting the campus were given a quick visit and despite frigid temps seemed very interested to talk to me (and wanted to stay far longer than their shivering teachers!) This afternoon, I met with a group of about 140 8 year olds to explore the "trunk of stuff" the hour flew by and they had endless questions and interest their teachers have promised to bring them out to the trench if they are able.

I have posted a few pictures below to give you an idea, If there is interest, I will post pictures as the project develops. Frankly I am amazed at the level of interest it has generated in the student and local population and just hope that we can carry it off in a manner that will be both educational and commemorative.

If there are US pals who are passing through central IL and who are interested in having a look (or joining in) PLEASE PM me. All other suggestions and advice welcomed.

Chris

Hi Chris,

What an absolutely terrific project! Obviously a labour of love. I look forward to hearing how the opening on the 11th goes and hopefully to seeing more photos. Wish I lived a little closer!

Congratulations

Carolyn

It all looks really great. Hope the weather stays good for the opening.

C. E. W. Bean had a similar idea for the AWM with a very similar "Bringing 'over there' back here" theme but in his case it was a literal interpretation. He wanted to renconstruct ruined rooms and buildings using the original rooms and furnishings from France. There was a write up about it in the AWM's magazine recently. Apparently the stuff was shipped to Australia but the project never got off the ground.

I hope it is successful for you. It always helps to have a hands-on exhibit to generate interest.

Some of your 'short cuts' actually reflect reality. Prefabricated dug outs were used where possible using either corrogated iron or even concrete. Diggers were also used if practical. This would usually be where there was time to establish a trench line in advance of the enemy's arrival so found in sections of the Hindenberg line but also in some 1918 British defences.

Ther was a book published in 1919/20 being a history of one of the American engineering battalions supporting the British in 1918 which has drawings and descriptions of such constructions.

Sounds like a great idea and a lot of work! Slaps on the back all round. What you need now, is a section of ACW trench so that your students can contrast and compare. The lack of depth and need to build up rather than dig down is of course perfectly authentic for many of the areas where the British were, such as Richebourg to Armentieres.

Thanks for the comments all. Had another 100+ high-school children out there today. Great fun. To judge by the questions, the next addition should probably be a latrine - there was great (and genuine) interest in how this problem was dealt with!!

I have posted a few more pictures and a plan description (just legible) on my website HERE - I'll fix it up and add pictures here as we go along.

Thanks again

Chris

Great work!

Do you have any colour pictures? I've seen so many black and white pictures of trenches, I'd love to see one in colour.

Paul

Congratulations, what a great idea, it will make a bit of history come alive. And to secure an interview with a surviving veteran is wonderful, good luck to you and your students.

Barbara..

p.s. Hope there will be some more pictures..

Good work Chris, I am amazed you can get college students interested in this. US Branch WFA has an incredible average age, probably 70 or so but there are 400+ of us. I have spoken to a theater class at University of Kentucky about WW1 when they were doing a play on that period. God how they suffered listening!

Fantastic! many thanks. I had some plans but none as clear as this.

Cheers

Chris

Great work!

Do you have any colour pictures? I've seen so many black and white pictures of trenches, I'd love to see one in colour.

Paul

You said it Paul.

That was exactly my (second) thought! Right after I got over my first thought which was, what a smashing idea to dig it in the first place! Well done Chris!

Colin

Chris,

You've probably already thought of this, but how about contacting your local military or National Guard. I'm not sure how things work in the US, but, if you can get the right people interested, there might be a chance of getting hold of some 'condemned' stores (sandbags, wriggly tin, duckboards or telephone wire).

Tom t W

Tom,

Yes thanks we have done this and all sorts of people have pitched in so far. Trouble is that everyone has nylon sandbags etc...I did get a reasonable deal on some of the timber. Expertise (surveyor / Digger operator etc) has also been donated. A local farmer (and dad of a colleague) had a 1920s barn collapsed on his property that provided some material etc, some we have bought... It was quite hard to find hessian/burlap sandbags. It is still a work in progress so I hope to add features. The big issue is going to become maintenance.

We should get some media coverage this weekend so we shall see. Our local NAT Guard units are being rotated through Iraq (again) so they have somewhat more pressing issues but they are supportive.

I showed the Latrine plans to my lot today and they are enthusiastic so perhaps we can manage that and a couple of "funk holes" this weekend

a small feature is going to be published by the Illinois Heritage (Historical Society) Magazine this month

a TV crew were out today while I was talking to a group of visiting schoolchildren and the local newspaper may run the article written by the student journalist this weekend so we will see what happens.

We have organized a "Veterans Day" / Remembrance Sunday "opening" this weekend but have little idea of how many people may show up

There are also open days scheduled all next week

PAUL / COLIN (et al) I have posed some COLOUR pictures HERE

Chris

Tom,

Yes thanks we have done this and all sorts of people have pitched in so far. Trouble is that everyone has nylon sandbags etc...I did get a reasonable deal on some of the timber. Expertise (surveyor / Digger operator etc) has also been donated. A local farmer (and dad of a colleague) had a 1920s barn collapsed on his property that provided some material etc, some we have bought... It was quite hard to find hessian/burlap sandbags. It is still a work in progress so I hope to add features. The big issue is going to become maintenance.

We should get some media coverage this weekend so we shall see. Our local NAT Guard units are being rotated through Iraq (again) so they have somewhat more pressing issues but they are supportive.

I showed the Latrine plans to my lot today and they are enthusiastic so perhaps we can manage that and a couple of "funk holes" this weekend

a small feature is going to be published by the Illinois Heritage (Historical Society) Magazine this month

a TV crew were out today while I was talking to a group of visiting schoolchildren and the local newspaper may run the article written by the student journalist this weekend so we will see what happens.

We have organized a "Veterans Day" / Remembrance Sunday "opening" this weekend but have little idea of how many people may show up

There are also open days scheduled all next week

PAUL / COLIN (et al) I have posed some COLOUR pictures HERE

Chris

Chris

First rate! Being but a mere human, I think I am guilty of sometimes forgetting the intense reality of the War experience. In my research, I deal with masses of dry detail and statistics punctuated with old black, white and gray images and over time, one slowly becomes a bit removed, perhaps numb, as to the grim reality of what actually happened to those people, who were as real as I am, in that wet field or shattered village. Sometimes it takes something in color to shock you, if thats the right word, back to the realization that what they went through was as real as real. It wasn't black, white and gray to them. Congratulations to you and your crew. Many thanks.

Colin

Most sandbags in WW1 were made of jute. Ideal for the purpose but rots if kept wet. There are synthetic woven materials which look like the original and are rotproof. Bit of a bind, having to stitch them into sandbags. Much of the originals were stitched by homeworkers. The women were paid in the region of 6d per hundred, collect cut lengths from the factory and deliver sewn bags back.

Chris,

What a praiseworthy venture ... well done! Thanks for sending me the link to your TV interview which was excellent (Afraid to say that 'About Anglia' didn't use the interview with your dad at Foster Hill Road, so it's 1-0 to you!).

Absolutely nothing wrong with sandbag parapets, they're an authentic representation in themselves. I'm into Brewsher's History of the 51st Highland Division at the moment and he gives some good detail on various methods of trench building, layout and design (I'm no doubt teaching you to suck eggs, so I'll shut up!!).

I hope all went well for you at yesterday's ceremony and that the piper did a first class job for you.

All the best

Richard

An excellent idea. I happened to be in a trench the other night at 7pm, only about 5 feet deep, but the bottom was filled with a foot of sewage and clay mud that grips boots like nothing else. The rain came down nicely and as I remarked to my German friend whose sewer we were fixing, all that was needed was some shellfire, poison gas and a few corpses and we were almost there. 60lb packs, a rifle to keep clean and a steel helmet would have helped too of course.

We cannot imagine...

Chris.

Chris,

Here a description of being in a trench written in verse by A.P. Herbert, whils't he was serving at Galipolli and may be of interest to you, well done with your project.

Regards Cliff.

The Flies! O God the flies,

that soiled the scarred dead.

To see them swarm from dead man's eyes,

and share a Soldier's bread.

Nor think I now forget,

the filth and stench of war.

The Corpses on the parapet,

The maggots on the floor.

Well done Chris - a fantastic effort and it seems well appreciated. I am always amazed by the collective American amnesia about WW1.Good luck in your stand against it!

Loved the pictures in colour.

Thanks so much.

We had a grade 10 history class at one of our schools recreate a trench system. They solicited the help of the engineers. Have you tried them?

Paul

I have added a few pictures of our events on Veterans / Armisitce Day.

The college had an official Veterans day event on the Friday. On Sunday 11/11 we had a short ceremony and official opening of the trench exhibit (which remains a work in progress)

The college president spoke, as did the student president of the veteran's association on campus. I said a few words and we paused for and impeccably observed 1 minute's silence. The wind blowing over the microphone sounded for all the world like distant artillery but (and perhaps it was my imagination) it stopped as the notes of Last Post were sounded. We then had a piper play. After a short break and an introduction by me we officially opened the exhibit. The event was supposed to last from 10:45-14:00. Thanks to a nice article and pictures in the local paper people kept coming and only stopped (and thus let me close it up and go home!) at 17:00! Ages ranged from toddlers and their parents to aged members of the community who "came to see what their dad had been talking about".

In the week since several hundred local school children - and scores of members of the public and college employees/students have been out to visit and tour. It has really been fantastic and there have been lots of offers of help etc. Student volunteers have done a great job and the college continues to be supportive. Local PBS station came out and filmed and interviewed and I think there is to be a 20 minute slot on what we are doing to be shown sometime in the next fortnight.

Our second shipment of sandbags is en route and - as a result of the questions and the info. above - our next addition is to be dug.