Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Jon Miller

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who could give me an idea as to where the above battalion were fighting on the above date. Zillebeke has been tentatively suggested so far - any improvement on that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon.

From Wyrall's History of the DCLI:

Throughout the 12th, 13th and 14th [October 1917] the 6th Cornwalls (with the exception of certain carrying and working parties) remained in the neighbourhood of Bedford House, but on the 15th the Battalion paraded at 1.30 p.m. and moved off by platoons, at 200 yards distance, to relieve the 10th Durham Light Infantry in Brigade Support in Sanctuary Wood. The relief was completed without incident by 4.45 p.m. The Durhams had taken over the front line and B Company of the Cornwalls went up with them as far as Cameron Covert where they remained in local support. D Company that night was employed as a ration party.

The Battalion was in dug-outs and shelters. The night was made hideous, as usual, by the Bosche shelling the Wood with gas shells and high explosives. On the 16th he continued from 6 a.m. till dusk. At 5.30 a.m. the whole of D and 30 other ranks of A Company paraded and carried track-boards for the 11th King's (Pioneers, 14th Division) who were making Jerk Track. Later, A and C Companies "carried" rations to the 10th Durham Light Infantry, and B Company, leaving the Wood at 5.30 p.m, in parties of twenty under an officer. The day's casualties (extraordinarily light considering the heavy shell-fire) numbered four other ranks killed and seven wounded.

The 17th was a similar day but casualties were heavier: 8 other ranks were killed, 2 officers and 12 other ranks were wounded and 3 other ranks were missing.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

• 6 years later...

Hello

I have William Walter Hodder Private 27746, 6th Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, KIA 23rd August 1917 and wonder if anyone has the war diary/info for that date - he is proven pretty elusive

Many thanks

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to obtain information on the war diary that may help me find what happened to Frederick William Ford 11811, 6th Bn Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. He was killed or died on 18th August 1918.

Could anyone lead me to a war diary to say what the conflict was on that date or near to it that may have cased his death?

Cheers,

Alan

Alan

Just spent ages looking and found its 1916 !!!!!! (they were disbanded in Feb. 1918)

He was KiA

From the History

On the 10th August, 1916, the Battalion entrained at Godewaersvelde, and detraining at Candas, marched to Heuzecourt and spent four days resting. The 15th, 16th and 17th were spent in marching through Vignacourt and Villers Bocage to Baizieux, where the men bivouaced in the wood. Here two accidents occurred. Major F. Walton, Second in Command, and Lieut. Ebsworth, M.C., Adjutant, were thrown from their horses and sustained broken limbs. 2nd Lieut. Kirkhouse resumed duties as Adjutant.

Nearly a month was spent in the wood, the time being devoted to training in the new wave formation for the coming offensive. It was about this time that distinguishing marks were adopted in the Division and the Battalion began to wear the red diamonds which came to be regarded with almost as much pride as the cap badge, and continued to be worn as long as the Battalion existed as a unit in France. On the 6th September Brig.-Gen. N.J.G. Cameron took over command of the Brigade. Four days later the Battalion moved to bivouacs in Becourt Wood, and there the final preparations were made for action, and amid the growing violence of the artillery preparation it moved again on the 14th September to Shelter Wood.

I have the WD, PM me your e-mail address.

Regards,

Graeme

• 3 weeks later...

Graeme

You're more disciplined at chasing up such individuals than I am.

With the number of failures to reply and the ability to download every divisional diary from Kew in entirety or in part through Naval and Military I sometimes cease to see the merit in copying out text, uploading shots or emailing documents off the forum to random punters. I'm starting to realize I've got better things to do and plenty of projects of my own that lose out on time which goes to assisting people on this forum. People who can't be bothered to be courteous or even acknowledge assistance ruin it for everyone.

I'm spending less time on this forum than I used to as a result. You and others have my email address - I'm still happy to help.

Rant over...

Kind regards

Colin

Morning Colin

I'm, in some way, rather pleased that it is not just me.

In the last fortnight I have sent people information (together with images of the rolls of honour they are on etc etc etc) and not even had a reply acknowledging receipt.

I rather enjoy sending people information, its a 2 way street after all, but I do get peeved when I hear NOTHING afterwards.

This is the second time this has happened from this particular member and I know he visited last night,

I, too, am leaning more and more to 'not bother' !!!!!

Regards,

Graeme

Hi there,

I'm extremely grateful for all the help in what members have given me and I have always tried to express that gratitude as best as possible. Its very easy to get carried away and once got that missing bit of information, go straight on to find the next bit that has led you on to it. Being so engrossed (its very addictive to say the least).

Once again I can't thank you enough, I am learning a lot and hope that I to can pass on something to someone one day.

All the best,

Alan