Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Dad in WW1

Malcolm Harvey

post-3198-1165782778.jpg

His name was Herbert Leslie Harvey and was born at Coltishall, Norfolk on 21 May 1897 so presumably could enlist early in the war. He survived the war but died in 1940 when I was only 6 yrs. old. My older sisters say that, true to form, he would never discuss his experiences. None of us can recall seeing any medals or any mention of a service number. All I have is a couple of photos and a recollection of him singing ‘Wrap me up in my tarpaulin jacket’.

I had always assumed that, living just outside Norwich, he would have enlisted with the Norfolks and enquired of the Regimental Museum who unfortunately hold no enlistment records. My sister says she once worked with an ex Norfolks man who claimed to have served in the trenches with our dad.

I’m hoping that from this vast pool of knowledge someone can id his regiment from the photos. Can I assume, from 2 GC stripes, that the main photo is post 1920 and if so, where would his records now be held? The Harp collar badges seem to indicate an Irish regiment but I have searched the on-line MICs and find nothing that fits.

Who’s going to give me that elusive Christmas present?

Malcolm.

I wonder if he is a reinforcement to the Royal Irish Constabulary 1919 onwards? This is just a thought I haven't seen Harp collar badges on Service dress before Waiting to be proved wrong!

Greg

I wonder that, too. Black and Tan?

The only unit to where crowned harp collar badges as far as I'm aware are the "Tyneside Irish", and I have just such a badge in my collection, but I can't make out the cap badge.

Graham.

The only unit to where crowned harp collar badges as far as I'm aware are the "Tyneside Irish", and I have just such a badge in my collection, but I can't make out the cap badge.

Graham.

Maybe not all notice that Tyneside irish were 24, 25, 26, 27 BATTALIONS from NORTHUMBERLAND FUSILIERS.

Regards

The collar badges look like the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars, the cap badge is not quite so clear. The 8th wore bimetal crowned harp collars as did the 5th Royal Irish Lancers whose were in all brass.

Keith

post-7376-1165791343.jpg

As you can see plain gilding metal crowned harps.

Graham.

I'm with Kieth on this one, the cap badge is very unforgiving for this time of day but looks more like 8th Hussars than that of the 5th Lancers or Northumberland Fusiliers, cheers, Jon :D

pics courtesy of (cough cough) ebay <_<

post-15439-1165791895.jpg post-15439-1165791917.jpg

post-15439-1165791935.jpg post-15439-1165792014.jpg

post-7376-1165791956.jpg

According to my collar badge sources both the 5th R.Irish Lancers and 8th K.R.Irish Hussars used the "Maid of Erin" pattern collar badge, as seen here, although the 5th wore plain gilding metal and the 8th bi-metal.

What I have noticed is his good conduct badges as well as his overseas service chevrons, so we're looking at c.1918 with at least five years service with a clean crime sheet.

Graham.

Graham, do you have a bigger pic of Tyneside's collar badge, all my books are packed away at the mo. He doesn't look like he's sporting the Maid of Erin, well pointed out sir ;)

Those are 3 long service stripes on his arm, too, aren't they? (or are they overseas service stripes?) So that fits with him enlisting early in the war.

Allie

Okay, change that. He's got 3 overseas service stripes on his right forearm, and 2 long service stripes plus2 wound stripes on his left.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still leanring these technicalities.

Allie

post-7376-1165795110.jpg

Don't know how this will look as I'm still trying to get the hang of the new all-in-ones resizing facility and my badges are in the loft and everyones asleep.

Graham.

He has:

Three overseas service stripes which seem to be the same colour so will denote 3 out of 4 years overseas from 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918. (i.e. not a 1914 stripe)

On his left arm he has two vertical wound stripes (which would denote being wounded, gassed, etc. on two seperate occasions.)

The two chevrons above the wound stripes denote 5 years good conduct (2 years = one stripe).

The bandolier usually implies mounted duties though this would not necessary mean a cavalry unit.

Most British soldiers did not have collar badges until after the war, so the first picture is presumably post 1918. He does not however sport any medal ribbons, but overseas stripes and wound stripes would denote that he qualified for them.

Steve.

Did the BEF do a different colour for overseas service in 1914 like the Australians did? (Red for overseas service before 31st December 1914, blue for years after that). Of course, then it depends on if the different colours look slightly different in a black and white photo or not. But the fact he only has 3 stripes tells us he probably enlisted and went overseas in 1915, doesn't it?

Edit Oops, was typing at the same time as Steve.

Allie

Okay, change that. He's got 3 overseas service stripes on his right forearm, and 2 long service stripes plus2 wound stripes on his left.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still leanring these technicalities.

Allie

right arm 3 overseas service stripes (yellow) 4th would be blue, left arm 2 brass wound stipes and 2 good conduct stripes, cheers, Jon :D (I think that's right <_< )

post-7376-1165795663.jpg

I can see why lads are looking as though it's a possible KRIH cap badge, but some lads in the Tyneside Irish took to wearing their harp shoulder titles as cap badges, very unofficial and well out of the way of prying eyes. Sadly the photo had to be cracked where we needed to look most. By the way has a MIC check been carried out on him?

Graham.

There are a bucket load of Herbert Harvey's, but only one with the middle initial L. And I don't think he's our man, unless he changed units.

Medal card of Harvey, Herbert L

Corps: Royal Field Artillery

Regiment No: 72630

However, there are 4 pages of plain Herbert Harvey's with no middle initial listed.

Allie

Going by suggested regiments you chaps have made, there are these three possiblities:

Medal card of Harvey, Herbert

Corps: Northumberland Fusiliers

Regiment No: 51550

Corps: Northumberland Fusiliers

Regiment No: 66667

but then he switched to the Labour Corp

Labour Corps 617127 Private

Corps: 18th Hussars

Regiment No: 5511

He changed as well

Corps of Hussars 47156 Private

That last one has a smaller service number. Would that be more fitting for enlisting earlier in the war?

Ok so I've woken the kids :o but at least I got my copy of Colin Churchill's book. The badge shown was worn in posed studio photos also seen on Warrant Officers, Serjeants, Pipe Majors and Pipers. Shame there's no S/T's, and the Bandolier, didn't MT drivers also were them? Jon :D

post-15439-1165796589.jpg