Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 19.10.06

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' casualty to their database today - Thursday 19th October

Able Seaman John RAE

R/1247 Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Died 28.11.18 Age 24

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

This is one of John Morecombe's successes.

I'm sure folk would be interested in John Rae's details:-

R/1247 Able Seaman John Rae Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Hawke Bn. 28/11/1918 Died after Discharge (Invalided) at home address, Pinchmenear, Bellingham, from Phthisis Pulmonalis.

Army Reserve 9/12/15 ; Entered RND 24/4/17 ;

Draft for BEF 9/7/17, joined Hawke Bn. 30/8/17-26/12/17 Arthritis right knee mild, rejoined Hawke Bn. 28/2/18-14/3/18 Gassed, Invalided to UK 1/4/18 ;

20/10/18 Surveyed at Newcastle-on-Tyne, disability: Pulmonary Tuberculosis after being gassed, 100% attributable, Discharged Invalided.

Brookwood (UK 1914-18) Memorial. Notified as accepted for commemoration by CWGC in May 2006 ; ADM/171 = V.B. issued to Universal Legatee, IC/2954/1919 ;

b.1/3/1894 ; Father, Thomas, Pinchmenear, Leahall Felland, Bellingham, Northumberland ;

1/11/19 Will executed 2/7/17 passed to AG14. ;

GRO = Dec. Qr.1918, age 24, Bellingham, Vol.10b, p.787, Occupation: R.1247 AB Hawke Bn. 63rd Naval Division (Railway Goods Clerk). Informant: Father, Thomas Rae, present at the death, Pinchmenear, Bellingham.

This man, along with most others we found, was traced via the RNVR medal roll which gives details of medals issued to the Next-of-kin (& therefore indicates the man was deceased at the time of issue).

Above details from the RND Roll of Honour (completed 2006)

Excellent news Terry and thanks to John for the information.

Cheers

Tim.

Well done to all involved, a liitle bit more of John Rae's background is that he was a clerk with the North British Railway.

Cheers

Malcolm

quote: "R/1247 Able Seaman John Rae Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Hawke Bn. 28/11/1918 Died after Discharge (Invalided) at home address, Pinchmenear, Bellingham,....."

Very many thanks to all concerned here

I have spoken to my father and am sending him a print-out of this thread

He will be reading out the names of Bellingham's [over 70] heroes at their Remembrance Day service in a few weeks time and he will make sure that John Rae is included.

regards

Michael

from the "Bellingham News" section of the Hexham Courant published on 27/10/2006

quote: "IT MAY have taken nearly 90 years, but one of Bellingham’s war dead has finally had his sacrifice commemorated.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has just announced it is including in its records the death of Able Seaman John Rae, of Fell End, Pinch Me Near, Bellingham.

John served in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, and was only 24 when he met his death.

He was gassed in March 1918, but did not die until the end of November that year – when the war was already over.

The fact that he was gassed indicates he was serving on land when he suffered his fatal injuries, so he was probably serving with the Naval Division, an early equivalent of the SAS.

Pinch Me Near was part of the Lee Hall estate, and Fell End is the cottage halfway up the Mile Bank ..."

Please note the local spelling of the place name

And, I don't know where the editor got the SAS reference from, (definitely not guilty, Sir)

As must often happen in these cases, I understand that John Rae was in fact already remembered locally on the memorial and his name is included with those read out on Remembrance Day.

Thanks again to John Morcombe and his team.

Great work, John and others. The SAS connection is erroneous but I have heard it before: it is a misinterpretation of the connection between the RNAS armoured cars detachments, the Duke of Westminster's armoured cars that fought in the Western Desert and the WW2 Long Range Desert Group.

• 4 weeks later...

The war memorial at Bellingham was dedicated on 18th September 1921 and it takes the form of the lych gate at the town's cemetery. The precedent established by their Boer War Memorial was also followed in this case, and the memorial records the 182 names, not just of those who fell (including John Rae), but of all those from Bellingham who served their country in two world wars, including those who returned. The churches in the town take it in turns to conduct the Remembrance Day service and this year it was led by the RC Father who was assisted by a Canon of the CoE; appropriately, one had served as a chaplain with the Irish Guards for over thirty years and the other is a veteran of the Falklands campaign.

Below is a contemporary photograph of 'Pinch Me Near' where John Rae died. The name is a corruption of Pinch me ne'er, which means 'Never sell me short.'

The photograph was taken by W. P. Collier who served as an aerial photographer in World War I and who also lived for a time at Pinch Me Near.

PinchMeNear.jpg

['Road to Bellingham 1912-1937 - the photographs of W. P. Collier' by S. F. Owen, published by The Heritage Centre, Bellingham, Northumberland, NE48 2DF]

• 3 weeks later...

quote: "The war memorial at Bellingham was dedicated on 18th September 1921 and it takes the form of the lych gate at the town's cemetery ."

Below are two pictures of Bellingham's War Memorial taken late last month. Beneath the sword and wreath are the words In Memoriam 1914-18. The two inside walls facing across the gate bear the names of Bellingham's service folk, those who fell and those who returned. The fallen are remembered first; their names including John Rae's, are on the top half of the right-hand photograph. Those who served and returned are named in bottom half above the poppy wreath and on the wall behind the camera, where the 1939-45 names are also recorded.

BellinghamWarMemorial2006.jpg

• 5 months later...

Terry, John and Pals,

I was recently able to once again visit the cemetery at Bellingham and on this occasion to spend some time looking for John Rae's grave. I found it in the north-east corner and in due course I hope to add a photograph of it to this thread.

The stone has fallen over backwards from its base and now lies on top of the grave behind. In doing so it has split across its head and is now in three pieces; base, headstone and its top arc. This collapse must have happened some time ago as the now horizontal stone has been subjected to weathering from rain and frost, and has a covering of moss in places. I tried to remove some of this without damaging the stone further, and was finally able to read the inscription.

"In loving memory of

John

second son of

Thomas and Isabella Rae

who died at Pinch Me Near

Novr. 28th 1918 aged 24 years

Also of the above

Thomas Rae who died at

Pinch Me Near, Bellingham

Jan. 9th 1927 aged 61 years

Also of the above

Isabella Rae

who died at 20 Norman Tce

Willington Quay

April 16th 1930 aged 73 years."

Since the family headstone was obviously broken long before John Rae's recognition by the CWGC, do you think that they will consider giving him one of theirs as a replacement?

regards

Michael

Shortly after the above was posted the forum was down for a couple of days and this seems to have been missed.

I am bringing it back to the top now as Terry has kindly offered to attend to it soon with the CWGC, and the link which I provided for him and John seems not to have worked.

The following messages were received

From JM: "Jolly good news. I had missed your post & am now incapable of finding it. The link you provided don't work for me.

This is a job for Terry. The Brookwood inscription is not yet done, so could be cancelled I imagine, if they wish to mark his grave.

I would like to see his grave photo, in due course please."

and from TD: "I am in Ypres till Thursday. I will sort it when I return. A name will not go on Brookwood if there is a confirmed grave."

Thanks also to H2 for his advice on this

best regards

Michael

Dear Michael,

Look forward to seeing what becomes of this with CWGC.

TTFN

John

quote: "I would like to see his grave photo, in due course please."

My sincere apologies for the delay on this John.

Below you will see a view of the Bellingham cemetery looking over the Rae family plot towards the chapel (anyone looking for the grave will find this a useful guide to its location) Next to that you see a shot of the headstone which has fallen back onto the grave behind and in doing so it has broken into three parts

BellinghamCemeteryRaeFamilyPlot.jpg

The third picture is a close-up of the five lines of inscription which refer to John, second son of Thomas and Isabella, etc., as given in my post #12 above

JohnRaeInscription.jpg

I trust that this will be useful not only to John, but to the CWGC as well.

Regards

Michael

Dear Michael,

Jolly nice to see. I'm sure the CWGC will sort him out a new stone, or failing that, some alternative commemoration now it is a war grave. Many thanks for your sterling efforts.

TTFN

John

No problem John

Honoured to be able to contribute something here

especially on account of a family connection to Bellingham

and not forgetting that my grandfather, like John Rae,

also served in the Hawke (from Jan '17, after previous service in the Nelson Batt.)

Here's hoping that the CWGC come through on this

best regards

Michael

• 2 months later...

Michael

His burial place is now recorded as Bellingham Cemetery and his name will not go on the Memorial.

The Area Inspector will have inspected the site (or is going to) and he will recommend any further action. If they deem that the name is unreadable, they may start the ball rolling to get permission to erect a CWGC stone. This can take a long time. However, they may decide that the name is still readable and wait - remember they are not necessarily looking at the overall condition of the stone.

If you contact UK Area Office, they may be able to give you an update - but it has only been a few months.

Name: RAE, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Date of Death: 28/11/1918

Service No: R/1247

Additional information: Son of Thomas Rae, Pinchmenear, Leahall Felland, Bellingham, Northumberland

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: North-East Corner

Cemetery: BELLINGHAM CEMETERY

• 3 years later...

Further to Terry's post #20 above

The CWGC's 'Debt of Honour' is currently (as at 2nd Nov 2010) showing the following note on John Rae's entry

Quote:

N.B.: Recent research has shown that Able Seaman Rae is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave

This note now needs to be updated, as I am very pleased to report that John Rae's new headstone is already in place

JRaesnewCWGChedstoneII.jpg

JRaesnewCWGCheadstoneI.jpg

Towards the end of my recent visit to Bellingham, poppies began to appear for sale, and I took the liberty of adding a small cross to John Rae's grave. At the top it reads 'Able Seaman J. Rae, RNVR' and beneath the poppy 'From the Great War Forum'

JRaesnewCWGCheadstoneVI.jpg

Once again, my thanks to all concerned for bringing in from the cold this member of the Hawke Battalion, RND

Name: RAE, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Date of Death: 28/11/1918

Service No: R/1247

Additional information: Son of Thomas Rae, Pinchmenear, Leahall Felland, Bellingham, Northumberland

Good news, indeed, that John Rae now has a CWGC headstone at last. But the original broken stone, which also commemorated his parents, seems to have gone. If they cannot be added to the CWGC stone and there is no-one left to commission any kind of marker for them, could the CWGC website details not at least be amplified to include the name of his mother, Isabella, and perhaps the additional mention "who were later buried in the same grave".

Great stuff. Who nicked the old headstone though? That's a bit off.

Quote from Mick: the original broken stone, which also commemorated his parents, seems to have gone. If they cannot be added to the CWGC stone and there is no-one left to commission any kind of marker for them, could the CWGC website details not at least be amplified to include the name of his mother, Isabella, and perhaps the additional mention "who were later buried in the same grave.

Quote from John: Who nicked the old headstone though? That's a bit off.

Gentlemen,

I have to admit that I share your concern here. However, as a brief visitor to Bellingham, I am not sure where the responsibility for the old headstone lies: was it removed by the CWGC or by those locally responsible for the upkeep of the graveyard?

From the point of view of the Rae family, it is a great pity that this record is no longer to be seen. And there may well be family somewhere to whom this is of interest. The original stone mentioned that John's mother, Isabella Rae, died at Willington Quay to where she presumably moved after the death of her husband three years earlier. At her age I can only also presume that such a move was to be close to other family members. I also note that the original headstone refers to John as the 'second son'; this also suggests that there may be a wider family.

While I am very pleased that John Rae's grave has been recognised, it does seem that the Rae family (wherever they may be) have paid a price for this

Michael