Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

is this the worst shot of the piper?

mcfc1923

It's not the worst, because it's in the distance and therefore not as clear as a closeup...

Although it does show how appalling the placement of it is.

Thanks for sharing this disaster with us, Jim

John

Closer - uhh.............

post-5500-1158859515.jpg

Adding fuel to the now raging Fire.

Does anyone know how much this commission cost?

Who paid for it?

Presumably there was a committee or similar group who agreed the submitted preliminary

Artwork for the figure so who are they?

Not everyone is on drugs.

Presumably someone likes this memorial?

bit more info.

it was proposed by the members of the somme battlefield pipe band, in memory of the pipers of various

regiments who fought in ww1. Longueval was chosen because in july 1916 it was captured by the 9th scottish division and through it many pipers marched. A world wide fund was launched and Andy de Comyn a midlands based sculpter carved the 4- metre high statue, the surrounding wall was constructed by a local builder. Iwas unvailed on july 2002 by Lt General Sir Peter Graham.

the somme batttlefield pipe band was formed in 1989 by Ian C Alexander of the war research society, which are based in birmingham.

jim

I'd seen Malcom's photo of it before.

In truth I'd thought it looked quite dramatic perched on top of a hill with nowt but sky behind it. Hadnt realised that it had been Photoshopped to matt out the damn big shed that's really behind it.

John

Hadnt realised that it had been Photoshopped to matt out the damn big shed that's really behind it.

Could someone photoshop it again to show what the shed would like without the statue in front of it :D

I like the IDEA of this monument but share some of the questions raised here...I have not yet seen it in person but the stance looked a little odd to me - and the location didn't help!!

Giving the sculptor the benefit of the doubt I tried to imagine what he was looking for so,....with the benefit of photoshop and the original picture posted above.... add smoke, a hazy figure emerging "when the barrage lifts" provide your own soundtrack and you can perhaps see what he was getting at?

or maybe I just need to find something more important to do!

No, I think you are right on all counts, and I'd like to see your image painted on that gruesome shed - smarten it up no end.

I hope Mr.Alexander and Co can sleep sound at Night knowing what C**P they have inflicted upon our Sensibilitys. :angry:

• 9 months later...

I type these words very tentatively, because I know I am about to commit GWF heresy, but I finally saw the dreaded piper yesterday and quite liked it! This was after enjoying lunch at Avril William's in the sunshine, with accompanying pipe band, and I was prepared for the worst, but it's not that bad, is it? The placement is unfortunate because of the shed behind, but it is at the heart of the village and seems an obvious place for a memorial. Seem from the right angle, you can see what the sculptor was getting at - I've seem criticism of the angle the piper is standing at, which strikes me as a bit harsh, as he is clearly going over the top.

Of course it's not the best memorial on the Somme, but I feel reaction to it has been a little overstated. However, I know I'm in a very small minority!

This was after enjoying lunch at Avril William's in the sunshine,

I appreciate and understand that art is in the eye of the beholder....but did lunch involve large quantities of alcohol, perchance? :D

Surely any memorial is better than no memorial.

Mick D

Just for interest, this photo is shown as being pipers of 9th Div at Langeval on 14th July but..

Does anyone know where it was taken

I appreciate and understand that art is in the eye of the beholder....but did lunch involve large quantities of alcohol, perchance? :D

Hehe John, you have made me laugh, I was sort of thinking the same thing! But the wall is very nice though... Will the memorial 'weather' do you think?

Actually I don't really hate it, as others clearly do.

Alie.