Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional Honour Book

kevin

Have been re reading Laurie Milners Leeds Pals, and in the appendix IV, he mentions Divisional Certificates/Honour Book.

Quote:-" From about July 1918, officers and men of the 31st Division who had been recommended for a gallantry award, whether or not it was confirmed,were entered in the Divisional Honour Book, and were entitled to wear the Divisional Honour Badge on the right sleeve, about 2 inches from the shoulder. This in gilt and enamel, consisted of the white and red roses of York and Lancaster respectively, surrounded by a Laurel Wreath."

This leads me to two questions, are these Divisional Honour Books kept at the NA?

And does any pal have a photo of the 31st Division Honour Badge?

Regards Kevin

Hello,

Interesting! I have not heard of this sort of award which I suppose was unofficial. I wonder if other divsions had the same idea. My reading of the 18th has not come across other than decorations awarded.

Old Tom

Old Tom

I think most Divisions must have had them as on another recent disscussion HERE shows the Certificate issused to the Officer or man, thou for the 29th Division, the 31st Divison Certificate reads the same but with the white and red roses at the bottom.

Regards Kevin

Kevin,

As the replies and the link suggest, many Divisions had these badges and certificates. I have an original example of the 31st badge and I will post an image of it when I am able to (I am seperated from my collection by a few hundred miles at present) If memory serves it was marked 'Fattorini' on the back, a Birmingham badge maker. I also have examples of the 29th Div badge and have an example of the 16th Irish 'voided felt diamond' on an Officer's tunic.

All the certificates seem very similar (I have 29th and 16th Div examples and have seen several others over the years) and it seems there was a thriving little industry connected with the badges.

I have seen an IWM photo of which I have a copy of somewhere, which shows the 'Left hand man of the British Army' The soldier is shown wearing yet another enamel badge on his lower right sleeve. He is seated on a barrel plonked in the middle of sand dunes on the Belgian coast. I'm sure others may have seen this picture.

regards

Paul

ps I also have a blue Brigade Major's armband with an enamel badge pinned to the centre. Can't remember the Div No. at the minute, but it is a central red star with single white stars to each side, on a black oval background. I'm sure there were many more.

18th Division definitely had them. There have been examples of the 18th Division posted on the Forum before.

Steve.

Paul

Cheers for that, i await your photo. Another question would the badge have to be payed for by the officer or man or did the Division issuse them?

Regards kevin

Pretty little badge!;its nice to learn something new!!!

Yes you are right , pretty little badge and itis nice to learn something new, now i must go and find my self one. Thanks for the picture Mike.

Regards Kevin

Hello,

Just reporting in on behalf of 41st Div

I know they had 'certificates' (though haven't seen one), I wonder if they had badges too !?

Julian

Does anyone know if the 30th Division had a divisional honour badge; and, if so, what it was like? Thanks.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

Does anyone know if the 30th Division had a divisional honour badge; and, if so, what it was like? Thanks.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

Grovetown,

Can't help with the design of the badge but until fairly recently I owned a QWR tunic with 30th Div signs.

This had two small holes below the divisional sign and I always suspected it may have had such a badge pinned below at one time.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with a badge design.

regards

Paul

Grovetown,

Can't help with the design of the badge but until fairly recently I owned a QWR tunic with 30th Div signs.

This had two small holes below the divisional sign and I always suspected it may have had such a badge pinned below at one time.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with a badge design.

regards

Paul

Thanks Paul

Sure I know the tunic you mean.

I imagine that any such badge would probably simply be a small enamel/ silver one of the Eagle and Child; but it would be nice - as you say - to know.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.