Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WILLIAM ANGUS VC

weejock

Hello All

Just thought I'd let you all know that at last I have managed to get Glasgow Celtic FC to acknowledge on of there former players in their museum. After three years and a little help from the Press they have decided to give this great man a place,. They have also said the will give room to the other 7 former players who gave their live's in the Great War

You can read Williams Angus VC Story hear.... www.forvalour.com

I have also attached a copy of the article from the papers

Well done Wee Jock :D

Two VC's to Carluke. I'm ashamed to say that I'd never heard of the place before reading the excellent website.

Well done Jock,

Steve.

Excellent. Well done.

well done wee jock,what a hero indeed......to be recogised by th celtic is a miracle ..........congratulations m8,this is a watershed

There is a good article by Robert Hoskins on Celtic FC in the Great War on Tom Morgan's Hellffire Corner website. Great picture of Pte Angus in his Celtic strip.

Kevin

There is a good article by Robert Hoskins on Celtic FC in the Great War on Tom Morgan's Hellffire Corner website. Great picture of Pte Angus in his Celtic strip.

Kevin

There should be a disclaimer on website like that

"Warning, will most likely reduce reader to tears"

C'mon man, I'm at my work for pete's sake!

Congrats Weejock!

Two VC's to Carluke. I'm ashamed to say that I'd never heard of the place before reading the excellent website.

Well done Jock,

Steve.

Well Done Wee Jock.

Steve there are Three Victoria Cross winners from the small town of Carluke Lanarkshire Cpl. William Angus.VC. Sgt. Thomas Caldwell.VC. and Lt Donald Cameron RN. VC. Three of I think fourteen vc's from the Lanarkshire area.

Yours Aye Rob Bulloch. (Ex Carluke Primrose FB.)

Their is a monument in Hamilton to the Lanarkshire VC winners, it was only unveiled about 3-4 years ago I think. I think Carluke may also have a monument or plaque in the center of the town to one or all of its VC winners.

Alistair

Jock,

I am pleased that the Celtic have finally seen the light.

I have a wry smile on my face though :) .When Cpl Angus was awarded the VC his part Battalion of HLI was serving with the 8th Royal Scots.I know one member of the 8th Royal Scots who probably witnessed and may have supported Cpl Angus on 12 June 1915 came from a Hearts supporting Family. :lol:

It would have been nice if the two Battalions' football discussions had been recorded for posterity.

George

Guys,

I don't stay that far from Carluke.....4 miles.

There are streets named after the VC winners

Even better Angus was an uncle to my brother in law .............hows that.

If anyone has any questions re William I couls ask my brother in law if he knows the answers

Aye Ready,

Swally

Swally,

Any idea why he never joined McCraes battalion, 16th (footballers) Royal Scots?

Regards,

Steve.

'Aye Ready'

I take it yur a 'Ger then?

Steve,

I can answer your question.

Cpl Angus was a member of the 8th H.L.I.(TF).

A Company of the 8th H.L.I. was attached to 8th Royal Scots to bring the Battalion up to War strength prior to its embarkation for France in November 1914.

So he was already serving in France when the 16th Battalion was being formed.

George

Took the words right out my mouth.

Yes to the question, even after Sunday's dismal performance

Swally

Thanks George,

Steve.

Steve,

Sorry if I introduced a "red herring" by mentioning the Hearts.

The 8th Royal Scots recruited around East Lothian.

"A" Company was based in Haddington which is about 16 miles from Edinburgh hence the Hearts being my Family's chosen Team.

The loose connection with Cpl Angus.My Uncle was a member of the 8th Royal Scots Machine Gun Section so may have been involved in supplying the supporting fire when Cpl Angus went out to rescue Lt Martin.

George