Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Simon Jones

This is the letter which 29 Sergeant Walter Stamper, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, wrote home to his wife and daughters describing his capture and subsequent captivity after the stand of the Patricia's at Bellewaarde, 8 May 1915.
My grandmother travelled across France to Switzerland in 1917 to stay with him in Montreux. In July 1918 Walter Stamper was repatriated to the UK on account of his health and returned to Canada. He immediately re-enlisted in the Canadian Army.
Regards
Simon
post-1722-1115556746.jpg
post-1722-1115557080.jpg
post-1722-1115556784.jpg

Simon, thanks for sharing this very moving and also fascinating letter. It gives a very clear picture of what evidently went on at times when a soldier became a prisoner of war. Do you have any other information, how and when did he end up in Switzerland?

Please yell if you would like to have some more background information on the battle at Bellewaerde. I'm in the process of transcribing the War Diary of the P.P.C.L.I. and have some good source books on their WWI history.

Michael

Michael,

Does the War Diary mention the KRRC?

I have the war diary of the 4th battalion, KRRC for this period if you are interested.

Christine

Hi Christine,

Yes, the 3rd & 4th K.R.R.C. are mentioned fairly often from the moment the P.P.C.L.I. was attached to the 80th Brigade in Nov. 1914 in England.

They are also mentioned of course during the very tough Bellewaerde Lake battle. For a short while they even formed a 'composite Bn.' didn't they? So heavy were the losses of the seperate Battalions....

I'm absolutely interested in the information you have and will P.M. you tomorrow/today?

Cheers and thanks,

Michael

Simon,Michael,

The 4th RB's were due to take over the line from the PPCLI on the 8th, have some details from there Regimental History if it is of any use to you.

Andy

Simon, thanks for sharing this very moving and also fascinating letter. It gives a very clear picture of what evidently went on at times when a soldier became a prisoner of war. Do you have any other information, how and when did he end up in Switzerland?

Please yell if you would like to have some more background information on the battle at Bellewaerde. I'm in the process of transcribing the War Diary of the P.P.C.L.I. and have some good source books on their WWI history.

Michael

Thanks Michael!

I understand that he was sent to Switzerland with prisoners who were deemed unfit to be of value to the war effort and there he was interned. However the Swiss, or perhaps the Red Cross, then on the same basis decided that he could be allowed home. I assume that he arrived in Switzerland shortly before he wrote the letter in August 1916. His health was not good; he had enlisted over-age and suffered particularly at St Eloi in February 1915. The fact that he re-enlisted as soon as he was back in Canada is therefore quite telling.

I have two other letters from April and May 1915 which I can post of you wish, also his full service record. I have recently found a reference in the British National Archives to a letter from him from a German camp which I will follow up when I am next down there.

I would certainly be interested in more information - I have the war diary and just two specific books, the Hodder Williams history and The Escape of a Princess Pat by Pearson. Much of Pearson's experiences were the same as my great grandfather's although he does not mention him by name.

Regards

Simon

I would certainly be interested in more information

I'm not so sure I have all that much more information looking at what you have already gathered.... :)

Do you mean you have the W/D for the period of May 8, 1915 or is it complete?

There is one book I would really like to recommend: Letters of Agar Adamson 1914 - 1919, Lieut.-Col. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Letters written to his wife during all the time he served on the battlefields. It hardly covers the battle of Bellewaerde as he was wounded and evacuated to England at the time, but it gives one an insight in what really happened during the time he served and was O.C. Far more so than the War Diary itself.

It would be great if you could post the other letters to share withfor all who are interested.

Thanks, Michael

simon.

Thank you for showing us what our lads had to put with, it made me saddened to think that our brave lads were treated with such hostility.

how did his war end, i hope he made it through, he certainly deserved to.

Mandy.

The 4th RB's were due to take over the line from the PPCLI on the 8th, have some details from there Regimental History if it is of any use to you.

That would be very welcome Andy.

Any snippet of information to add to understanding what happened at the time is an interesting addition to the transription work I'm doing. Is your information easily posted or should I P.M. you?

The P.P.C.L.I. War Diary mentions the 4th R.B. on the 13th May, 1915 when the composite Bn. of the 4th K.R.R.C. + P.P.C.L.I. relieved them in the trenches at Hooge-Chateau.

Cheers, Michael

Michael,

From "The History of The Rifle Brigade in the War of 1914 - 1918"

Volume 1.

The Fouth Battalion at Bellewaarde

On May 5th the fourth battalion, between the 3rd Btn 60th, who held the line in Sanctuary Wood, south of the Menin Road, and the P.P.C.L.I. who held the little Bellewaarde-ridge salient, obseved at 10am that the Germans were already following up the evacuation of the previous night. Many of them, with that love of plunder, however useless, that is common to soldiers of all races, were clad in British greatcoats, much as, later in the war, the British Soldier mifght sometimes have been grotesquely transformed in a German trench helmet.

The Immediate result of this disguise was to mislead the Fourth Battalion who, under the impression that they were witnessing the approach of some belated detachment of their own comrades, witheld their fire - though not for long. It was now apparent that the greater part of the new position was commanded from the ground that had been given up. The evacuated Westhoek ridge overlooked Chateau Wood from the north, whilst Clapham Junction towered above them to the south east, and at a bare six hundred yards they were under observation from the Menin Road. The position of the companies for the next two days as an officer of the battalion writes with commendable restraint - "Was not pleasant". The enemy hurried up his arrtillery and machine guns to little more than point blank range. A sustained bombardment, reinforced by gas shells and heavy machine gun fire, to which for lack of ammunition, there could be little or no reply from the Royal Artillery, was rained upon the new line. In two days the Fourth Battalion lost nearly one hundred and fifty killed and more than two hundred wounded!!. In truth the position was not pleasant. And there was as bad again to come.

On May 8th

will transcribe the rest in a little work calls.

Andy

On 8th May the battalion was in dug outs behind Bellewaarde Lake waiting to relieve the Princess Patricia's in the left sector of the front. The 3rd Btn. 60th were now in Chateau Wood trenchess formerly held by the Rifle Brigade. Early on the morning of the 9th, a bombardment began, of such intensity and so sustained as to be the prelude to nothing less than a general attack. The enemy was about to renew the advance upon the newly occupied British positions. What is called the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge had now begun. The Fourth Battalion machine guns were at once hurried forward to support the P.P.C.L.I., whilst half of "A" and "D" Companies were despatched into Chateau Wood in support of the 60th. The attack developed in strength. By 10 o'clock the Princess Patricias were in serious straits. "B" and "C" Companies of the Fourth Battalion were sent to their help.

It was none to soon. The lione of the 28th Division on the left had broken. The bombardment was severe. The Princess Patricias were reduced from six hundred men to a bare one hundred and fifty. But they clung to their ground stubbornly and were found upon it by the Riflemen who pushed forward to their assistance; "We have seen the Angels today" said the grateful Canadians.

By now the gap on the left flank had made the hold on top of the spur no longer tenable. A line was occupied along the eastern edge of a long narrow copse that runs to the north, and in front of the lake.

By half past eleven the enemy was working forward from the abandoned ground on top of the spur. He was met and stopped by the Fourth Battalion machine guns. Later he attempted to advance again and failed before the fire of the Canadians and the Riflemen.

On the front of the 60th Lieutenant J.G.M. Henderson, in command of the detachment of "D" Company, met and broke three seperate attacks with rifle fire.. He was relieved that night by the remaining half of the company and marched back with four men from the sixty originally sent!.

On the left flank, and some distance in rear of the position, Captain F.H.A. Wollaston, the second in command, saw a large party of the enemy digging. He charged them with "C" Company and routed them. Night found the 80th Brigade substantially on the line on which it had begun the day.

It then goes on to cover the next day, if this is of use let me know and i will get that done for you.

I hope that this helps a little.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

What you posted is a perfect and far more detailed addition to what I have:

Sat., May 8, 1915 BELLEWAARDE LAKE, FLANDERS, BELGIUM

Cont.

12 A.M.

Snipers had been extremely brave taking messages to Brigade & reserve Batn kept in rear of BELLEWAARDE LAKE during the morning as ground they covered was continually shelled

A message was sent asking Brigade for more S.A.A., as rifle fire was brisk at all times.

1.30 P.M.

One Platoon of 4 R.B.’s was sent us as reinforcement [& the support trench gave them a cheer as they came up] ….. placed them on out extreme right in [crossed out: trees] order to watch our flank as we were unable from trench to overlook this ground. They were in line with our support trench behind trees & hedge They also sent a Machine Gun and section that did good service

2 P.M.

I went with orderly to BELLEWAARDE LAKE dugouts as ordered by Brigade to telephone G.O.C. 80th …… Bgd. Complete details of situation returning at 2-30 P.M. Orderlies accompanying me both going and coming were hit by High explosive shells.

3 P.M.

A platoon of K.S.L.I. under an Officer reached our Support line with 20 Boxes S.A.A. which was distributed. This party also acted as reinforcement & occupied Left end of Support trench.

(unpoofed version, still in process)

I'm quite happy,

Michael

Michael,

Glad that it was useful to you, its great when everything starts to come together.

Andy

Hi all

I am also very interested in this battle, as meantioned the 2/K.S.L.I. played a small roll. I do not have much to pass on, as there war diary is not take informitive. I do have an account of a K.S.L.I. chap who was with Batt. HQ, not a lot of useful info. in it but he meantions wounded PPCLI throats being cut.

Sometime ago a few Pals sent me info. to help peice the battle together, the one unit that I do not have full info. on is the 4/K.R.R.C. (was also missing R.B. info but that as now been put right thanks to Andy ;) )

Christine is there any chance of you senting me copy of 4/K.R.R.C. diary for the 8th & 9th, I did download a couple of pages from Canidian site but they are poor and I can't read them that well.

With the info. I had a hand at the time I mapped out moves on a map (still working on it so if anyone thinks I have made mistakes please let me know-Thanks.

I will post map shortly.

Annette

Thanks for posting that link Andy (Max) I can never find old threads.

I have had to reduce the map so hope writeing is readable ? if not and anyone wants a large copy just email me.

Annette,

Great job. Thanks. It is indeed tough reading some of the War Diary entries and in this case also what you added to the map, because of the compression. I'll contact you for the large copy...

Cheers, Michael

Annette,

There is more in the RB Regimental History if you need it. I stopped transcribing on that day but more to come.

Andy

Great Andy that would be most useful. The 2/K.S.L.I. and I think the 3rd R.B. (this is off the top of my head) came under heavy attack a few days later (I'll check that), the Germans were in British unforms again. The R.B. withheld their fire but Shropshires let them have it straight away, again I'll have to check dates and units involved it could have been one of the K.R.R.C. battalions ?

Annette

Annette,

Continued from the previous:-

Before daylight the next morning the bombardment began again. The enemy was evidently set upon capturing the position. On the other hand the British Artillery was till, for lack of ammunition, condemned to silence.

The trenches were blotted out: the men were in shell holes or behind anything that gave a measure of cover. At 4pm the German Infantry advanced. The Fourth Battalion machine guns and the scattered Riflemen, with the other units of the 80th Brigade, did their utmost in vain. The Rifle Brigade and the 60th Rifles fell back together to the support trenches behind the wood. But the pace was too hot to save the machine guns, which, rather than let them fall into enemy hands, the machine gun Corporal threw into the Bellewaarde Lake. In the support line, re-inforcements cam up from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, but the enemy was satisfied with his gains and made no further attack. The Rifle Brigade casualties, when it is considered that they begun the battle in support, were heavy - more than fifty killed, more than three hundred wounded, and nearly fifty missing. Colonel Harrington was among the wounded. He was hit on the 8th, but refused to leave the Battalion until the battle was over, when Captian Wollaston took command. Captain de Moleyns (who in four dayswith the Battalion had been hit twice) and Captain Edwards, the two Company Commanders who had taken their companies to the help of the P.P.C.L.I. were both wounded. 2nd Lieuts. W.B.W. Durrant, their two subalterns were both killed leaving the two companies without officers, for 2nd Lieut. W. Trevelyan of "C" Company had been killed on the 5th, and 2nd Lieut. H.C. Gracey of "B" Company had been wounded on the same day, whilst Lieutenant A.H. Pelham-Burn of "B" Company had gone sick.

The remaining companies were hardly better off. Captain J.J.B. Cole of "A" Company had been wounded on the 5th, 2nd Lieut. J.A.V. Duff had gone sick on the following day. In "D" Company Lieutenant T.T. Tattn was now wounded, so were Captain W.H.S. Alston, the Battalion machine gun officer, and Lieutenant A.C. Burnell, the Adjutant. Captain R.L.H. Collins, the transport officer, came up and took over "B" Company, 2nd Lieut. H.M. Ramsay-Fairfax-Lucy, who had distinguished himself by helping to save some of the machine guns of the 3rd, 60th, was deputed as Adjutant. The Quartermaster and the Regimental Sergeant Major, who had been put in charge of the transport to relieve Captain Collins, begged unsuccessfully to be allowed to go into the firing line.

C.S.M. W. Aspey and Rifleman W.K. Forbes bith won the Distinguished Conduct Medal for their gallantry in action. TheBattalionremained in the new front line five days longer. "Quiet Days" observes the Battalion Diary. Attacks tookm place on the right and left, but the 80th Brigade was let alone. On the 14th the Cavalry took over, the Rifle Brigade being relieved by the 5th Dragoon Guards. The Battalion marched back to the neighbourhood of Poperinghe. Since the begiining of the Battle of Ypres on April 27th, it had been wiped out. On that date it reached Saint Jean nine hundred and thirty two strong. In the ensuing week the casualties amounted to eight hundred and sixty eight - two hundred and sixteen killed, six hundred and six wounded and fourty eight missing.

Andy

I only posted a small part from the War diary entries of the P.P.C.L.I., so to add more to the whole, as Andy's just done (great stuff), here is the rest:

Battle at Bellewaerde Ridge 8 May, 1915

Thu., May 6, 1915 G.H.Q. LINE, FLANDERS, BELGIUM

Remained at G.H.Q. trenches all day, were shelled in afternoon

Casualties 3 killed 9 wounded

8.45 A.M.

Btn. left for trenches in front of BELLEWAARDE LAKE and releived K S L I releif complete by 11-30 P.M. No’s 3 & 4 Coy firing line 1 + 2 support

---signed Capt. R. T. Pelly, O.C. Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry.

Fri., May 7, 1915 BELLEWAARDE LAKE, FLANDERS, BELGIUM

Shelling started by Germans about 9 A.M. and considerable damage done to fire trenches. casualties 3 men killed 13 wounded [Capt Gray & Lt Cornish were sent back sick in Evening. No’s 1 & 2 coy releived & 3 + 4 Coys in fire trenches.

4 A.M.

Shelling by Germans started chiefly from our right flank which emfladed our fire trenches this grew more severe by 5.30 & about this time some Germans were noticed coming down hill directly in front of us and we opened fire on them

Cont.

All our telephone wires were cut by this time both to Brigade & also to trenches so all signallers, Pioneers, Orderlies & Servants were ordered into support trenches and shortly afterward all advance by Germans was checked and any not sheltered by buildings or dead crawled back over crest of ridge to trenches Germans had two possibly three Machine guns in buildings & were sweeping our parapets both in fire and support trenches. An orderly took rush to Brigade H.Q. notifying them of situation

7 A.M

Major Gault was severely hit [by shell in Left arm & left thigh.]

Shelling by heavy howitzers using all high Explosives & field guns started again in heavy bombardment both on Fire & Support trenches. Fire trench on right being blown in at several points. A note by orderly to Brigade notified them we were being heavily shelled & asking for reinforcements as our casualties were heavy.

9 A.M.

Cessation in shelling and Germans again attempted to advance but heavy fire from our Machine Guns & rifles checked them & forced them to retire & take cover at this time P.P.C.L.I. accounted for many of the Enemy.

Lieut Martin & Triggs were hit & came out left communication trench with number of wounded Capt. Hill & Lt De Bay hit also

Cont.

9-30 A.M.

Lt Niven arrived at this time & was in communication with the Officer of K.O.Y.L.I. on our left & Officer of 4th Rifle Bgd. On our right both were suffering heavy casualties from enflade fire. Bombardment started again particular attention being paid to our Machine Guns all machine guns were buried but two were dug out & mounted again over three times but a shell killed every man on it’s section

10-30 A.M.

Left half of our Right fire trench was completely destroyed & Lt Dennison ordered Lt Clark to take remaining men & get in our Right Communication trench. Lt Dennison & Lt Lane still held part of our right fire trench with few men. Lt. Edwards was killed

Our Left fire trench (right half) suffered severely & trench was blown in and Machine Gun put out of action. Sergt Scott and few men withdrew to communication trench & held it untill it was blown in. Lt Crawford who was most gallant was severely wounded. Capt Adamson who had been handing out ammunition was hit in shoulder but continued to work with only one arm useful. R. Sergt Major Fraser was also handing out S A A to support trenches was killed instantly by bullet in head

Cont.

12 A.M.

Snipers had been extremely brave taking messages to Brigade & reserve Batn kept in rear of BELLEWAARDE LAKE during the morning as ground they covered was continually shelled

A message was sent asking Brigade for more S.A.A., as rifle fire was brisk at all times.

1.30 P.M.

One Platoon of 4 R.B.’s was sent us as reinforcement [& the support trench gave them a cheer as they came up] ….. placed them on out extreme right in [crossed out: trees] order to watch our flank as we were unable from trench to overlook this ground. They were in line with our support trench behind trees & hedge They also sent a Machine Gun and section that did good service

2 P.M.

I went with orderly to BELLEWAARDE LAKE dugouts as ordered by Brigade to telephone G.O.C. 80th …… Bgd. Complete details of situation returning at 2-30 P.M. Orderlies accompanying me both going and coming were hit by High explosive shells.

3 P.M.

A platoon of K.S.L.I. under an Officer reached our Support line with 20 Boxes S.A.A. which was distributed. This party also acted as reinforcement & occupied Left end of Support trench

Cont.

4 P.M.

Made tour of Support Trenches & found we were out of touch with Regt. on our Left a gap of fifty yards was unoccupied, & placed 8 men in this gap to inform me of happenings there. Shortly afterward I was informed that Monmouth Regt. on left of K.O.Y.L.I. had withdrawn to trenches 300 yards in rear and about 5-30 was informed that K.O.Y.L.I. had also withdrawn to same line of trenches

Another attempt by Germans to advance was stopped by our rifle fire although some reached our [inserted: fire] trench on right that could not be observed from our support trench but I believe at this time there were none of our men alive at this point.

11.30 P.M.

We were releived by 3rd K.R.R.C. who gave us assistance to bury our dead that were in Support & Communicating trenches as it was impossible & imprudent to attempt to reach the fire trenches.

Our casualties were as follows Killed [inserted: 7 + 73] Lieut. Edwards died of wounds Lieut Crawford , missing [inserted:2 + 79] Lieut Dennison & Lieut Lance. Wounded [inserted: 6 + 203] Major Gault, Capt. Adamson, Capt. Hill, Lieut De Bay

Cont.

Lieut Martin, Lieut Triggs Other ranks 93 killed, 79 missing 203 wounded.

Sun., May 9, 1915 BELLEWAARDE LAKE, FLANDERS, BELGIUM

Btn. had orders to withdraw to G.H.Q. Trenches S of Railway & we started at 2.30 A.M. Lieut Niven, Lieut Papineau, Lieut Clark, Lieut Van den Berg. On arrival at G.H.Q. line we were ordered to proceed to LILLE GATE – YPRES and occupy ground at Ramparts there. During the day we were shelled and lost 5 killed & 3 wounded.

(unproofed version, work in progress...)

Michael

It might be unproofed as yet, some spelling mistakes are 'originals' like emfladed. All the others are most likely mine......

War Diary of the 4th Battalion, KRRC

23.04.1915 There was a violent bombardment in the direction of St. Julien?Pilkem. This was the beginning of the second Battle of Ypres. From this day forward bombardment of the Ypres salient was almost continuous night and day. The actual section of the salient held by the Battalion was not particularly shelled, though the infantry made demonstrations at intervals, firing rapid fire, usually up in the air, as their muzzles could be seen pointing over the parapets. The next eight or ten nights were spent in digging various lines of trenches to fall back on in case of retirement. First one line was laid down, then another; eventually none of them were occupied.

30.04.1915 Heavy howitzers from the north started to drop shells unpleasantly close behind us. These shells coming absolutely from our rear gave one a rather uncomfortable feeling.

03.05.1915 It was definitely decided that, owing to the enemy’s success on the northern sector of the salient, the position of the 28th and Canadian Divisions at the eastern extremity of the salient was becoming too precarious. Orders were therefore issued for a general withdrawal on the night of May 3rd- 4th to the line of Hooge?Verlorenhoek. It was arranged that the withdrawal should begin at the extreme end of the salient shortly after dusk, and that the remaining parts of the line should withdraw in rotation. First, half the garrison was withdrawn, then half the remainder, and then the whole of the remainder, with the exception of about three or four men per trench under Second Lieutenant D. Morton, who remained firing rifles and Very pistols until the last moment. The withdrawal was carried out with complete success, and the enemy were apparently in ignorance of the movement until after daylight. To give them their due when they did discover it, it was not long before they got their guns on to us. The Battalion on this night went through the line which it was proposed to hold, and went into Brigade Reserve in the trenches immediately south of the Menin Road in the General Headquarters Lines. About 250 men, under Second Lieutenant J. S. Poole, were left in the front line to fill a gap, which had appeared through some error between our Brigade and that on the left.

04.05.1915 During the day the 4th KRRC were shelled a little in the General Headquarters Lines, but fortunately did not have many casualties. Second Lieutenant Poole’s party got rather heavily shelled, but the PPCLI and 4th Rifle Brigade had to bear the brunt of it. At 2 a.m., this party was relieved by the Monmouthshires, and came into General Headquarters Line, where they were once more shelled, and had several more casualties

05.05.1915 On the night of the 5th the 4th Rifles relieved the 3rd KRRC behind the embankment of Bellewaarde Lake, and they in their turn relieved 4th Rifle Brigade in the front trenches. An enemy whizbang battery shelled the British position the whole night, inflicting some slight damage.

06.05.1915 The day was very quiet, nothing of particular note occurring on our front. Shortly after midnight, a hostile heavy howitzer battery from direction due south started shelling over a wide area, centering their fire on the dug?outs west of Bellewaarde Lake. The shells contained fumes, and were always fired in salvoes.

07.05.1915 At 2 a.m. there was a terrific outburst of rifle and machine gun fire from the direction of Hill 60, followed by heavy shelling by field guns from our front. This, however, died down about 3:15 a.m. The remainder of the day was comparatively quiet. On the night of the 7th the 4th KRRC relieved the 3rd KRRC in the front trenches.

08.05.1915 (On the 8th began what so far as the Battalion was concerned was its first really serious participation in the second Battle of Ypres).

At about 5 a.m. heavy howitzers opened on the front trenches. These continued steadily until 7 a.m., when a furious combined bombardment of field guns and howitzers commenced. This heavy fire was maintained until about 8 a.m., when fuses were lengthened. At 8.5 a.m. the bombardment slackened considerably, Communication by wire to the trenches had been cut since 7.15 a.m., and almost immediately afterwards the Brigade line also went. The line to the Rifle Brigade in support held until about 7.45 a.m. 8.20 a.m. ? The bombardment increased, especially about the centre of Bellewaarde Wood, where part of ‘C’ Company were in support and Battalion Headquarters were situated. Heavy rifle fire opened on the front and left. The front line, which had suffered very heavily during the bombardment, was now reinforced, Lieutenants Poole, Antrobus, and Hodgkinson taking up the remainder of ‘C’ Company. The whole Battalion was now in the flying line. This party took up a supply of ammunition. Lieutenant Poole returned with information that the infantry attack did not appear to be on our front. 8.45 a.m.? The German artillery reopened, making Bellewaarde Wood a perfect inferno, shelling with every sort of shell. Three orderlies from Rifle Brigade arrived to ask if help was required. 8.50 a.m. These returned with the request for one Company. 9 a.m.? A lull in the artillery bombardment. A little rifle fire was opened, but was heavier further north. 9.17 a.m.? A message received stated that enemy appeared to be massing in front of right of 28th Division (i.e., left of 80th Brigade). 9.45 a.m.? Captain Dalby came in and reported that the salient at Hill 50 had been shelled until the men holding it were annihilated, and that the Germans had walked into it. Whilst explaining the situation Captain Dalby was wounded. This hill was a weak spot, and was the junction of ourselves and the PPCLI At 10.15 a.m. a Company of 4th Rifle Brigade arrived and moved up to the firing line to fill up the gaps. 10.20 a.rn.? The situation so far as known. this ‘A’ and ‘B’ Companies in front line right and centre respectively. ‘D’ Company almost annihilated, but a few still alive in left of front line. Extreme left in Hill 50 held by enemy. ‘A’ and ‘B’ Companies had also been extremely severely punished. One Company of the Rifle Brigade was moving up to reinforce front line, and another Company was in support in Cavalry Lines just west of Bellewaarde Wood. 11 a.m.? All seemed quiet again. 12.15 p.m.? Communication with the Brigade was reestablished. 1.30 p.m.? Shelling re?commenced, but not with the former vehemence. 2.45 p.m.? Increased again, and continued until 5 p. m. About dusk several small parties were reassembled from different parts of the wood, and returned to the firing line. So far as could be ascertained, the Battalion had suffered about 300 casualties, together with three officers killed and three wounded.

09.04.1915 At 2 a.m. on the 9th information was received of a readjustment of our line. This entailed the falling back of the Regiment on our left, until its right rested in the northwest corner of Bellewaarde Lake. The left of the Battalion was thus in the air and open to enfilade fire from Hill 50 and further west. The Battalion Headquarters were thus in full view of the enemy on the north, and was such that it would be impossible to move. Headquarters were therefore removed to the west of the Lake, where about thirty men had been collected. 3rd KRRC and 4th Rifle Brigade also had Headquarters here. At 8 a.m. the bombardment opened, but was not nearly so intense as yesterday. This slackened towards 10 a.m. The majority of it seems to have been directed on Hooge (the 2nd Camerons) and over it. This bombardment was followed by a very weak infantry advance, which was easily repulsed. On the front of the Battalion the only infantry advance was against their left from the direction of Hill 50; this was also easily repulsed. At dusk it became quiet, no further movement of the enemy being visible. Shortly after dark four Germans suddenly appeared in our left trench, and for a moment surprised the occupants, who thought that they were our own men. In the subsequent scuffle two of them managed to escape. They proved to be men of the 248th Reserve Infantry Regiment. Battalion Headquarters were now moved to Hooge Chateau cellar, as being closer to the Battalion and more suitable for the transmission of information. The all too short night was occupied in repairing trenches, bringing up rations, water, and ammunition

10.05.1915 At 5 a.m. on the 10th the enemy started shelling with heavy howitzers. Towards 7 a.m. the bombardment increased in intensity. At 9 a.m. a very hot burst of rifle and machine gun, apparently occasioned by a few men of ‘A’ Company, wounded, etc., falling back on the support trenches. These men were immediately reorganized in the support trench, and together with some Rifle Brigade re-occupied the front line. At 10 a.m. Lieutenant Poole left Headquarters, and went up to the support trench in front of the log hut in Bellewaarde Wood, and took Lieutenant Antrobus and about 20 men up into the firing line. The strength of the Battalion now appeared to be about 200 men. At 10.30 a.m. a heavy battery opened from the direction of St. Eloi and Hill 60; another from the N.E., and field guns from E. and N.E. A terrific bombardment was kept up until about 1.30 p.m., when the few survivors fell back on the Cavalry lines now held by Rifle Brigade, Camerons, and a Company of 3rd KRRC. The Bellewaarde Wood was now an almost impenetrable abattis, and it was immediately decided to consolidate the Cavalry Line, and hold it with every available man. Though this was bombarded, the fire was not so accurate as it had been on the front line, probably owing to difficulties of communications and observations. The Camerons on our right, by previous arrangement, escheloned their left flank backwards to conform to our new line. The Officer Commanding the Camerons immediately called up two Companies Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders to man the line at Hooge and two more Companies were sent up by 50th Brigade in rear of Hooge Chateau. The situation after midday became so serious that the 80th Infantry Brigade were appealed to for strong support. This resulted in the 1st Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders being sent up to Hooge, arriving between 3 and 4 p.m. The enemy again made no determined attack, but moved forward in small parties and halting or falling back if met with infantry fire. At 2 p.m. a few of the enemy crept forward towards Cavalry trench, but no attack was made. From this moment things became quieter and the fight seemed to fizzle out. The 3rd KRRC from the west bank of the Lake obtained good oblique fire on small parties visible in the Wood and checked any further advance. This seemed to mark the limit of the enemy’s aspirations for the day as no further serious movements took place. A draft of 150 men under Second Lieutenant Walton came up at about 9:30 p.m., and was taken into the General Headquarters line south of Menin Road to be organised. Meanwhile orders had been received to withdraw the remnants of the Battalion from the trenches and return to the west of Ypres to reorganise

11.05.1915 By midnight the Battalion was drawn out to the number of about l00, which included signalers and stretcher bearers, the CO (Major Majendie), Adjutant and Second Lieutenant Antrobus being the sole surviving officers. One machine gun, very much knocked about, was also brought away, the other three being destroyed. Only seven men of the machine gun section remained. During the fighting of the past few days individual acts of gallantry were very numerous, and it is to be regretted that evidence of the majority is not now available. As a unit the work of the Battalion, both officers and men, was admirable, and many messages of congratulation have been received from the higher Commanders. The losses in the past three days in killed, wounded and missing amounted to about 15 officers and 478 rank and file. Shortly after daylight the Battalion arrived in a temporary bivouac near Vlainertinghe, and later in the day moved to the transport at Busseboom where the weary remnant lay down and slept the clock round. Those who had been through from the beginning had been 26 days in the trenches, during a great part of which period they had been actively engaged. It can well be imagined with what feelings we looked forward to a full night’s rest. But one could not keep one’s thoughts from going back to all those good fellows whom we had left behind in the Ypres salient.

Courtesy of Irv. Mortenson

Interesting the different styles of writing in War Diaries

This is an account of the actions of B Coy, 3/Mons on the 8th May 1915 from a short history attached to the battalions war diary.

B Coy throughout the battle was separated from the rest of the battalion. On May 4th it reinforced 1st York and Lancs, coming under orders of the CO of that Battalion, and took over a trench on the extreme right of the Brigade and Division from a company of K.R.R.C. 27th Division. The next unit on the right was the “Princess Pats”. The position was in front of the wood near Red Lodge, about 300 yards south of the Roulers railway. The trench was newly dug like the rest of the line and not deep. It was also on a forward slope and the only communication trench was full of mud and impassable. Further, it lay along a lane with a hedge on one side and a line of poplars on the other, so that it was an admirable mark for the enemy’s artillery observing on Westhoek Ridge. On May 5th and in a smaller degree on May 6th and 7th the enemy bombarded the trench, but it was so narrow and well traversed that the damage was comparatively slight and casualties not as heavy as might be expected from such a bombardment. Sergt. Nash, a Territorial with much service, was killed on the 6th.

It was peculiarly noticeable here that the nights were absolutely quiet and it was safe to walk about in the open behind the front line. Rations and letters came up regularly and one fortunate officer even received a tin of cooked sausages. On the night of May 7th the company was relieved by a company of the 1st KOYLI under Capt. Mallinson [The remainder of the 1st KOYLI held the line as far north as the ROULERS railway] and B Coy. went into support in the wood just behind the line, which was adorned with French dugouts like those in POLYGON WOOD.

At daybreak on May 8th B Coy. came in for the shelling which the enemy poured on the whole line. They were evidently searching for a battery behind the wood, but did not neglect the wood itself and killed two officers, Lt. Groves and 2/Lt. Palmer in one dugout. Fortunately other casualties were few, as the shelling was mostly directed at one portion of the wood. Meanwhile the 1st KOYLI who had suffered much from the shelling beat off an infantry attack by rifle fire. Later a second attack began, reinforcements seemed necessary and B Coy. dashed across the open ground to the front line. A dip in the ground favoured the advance and casualties were few, but Capt. Gardner was shot through the heart as he entered the trench, a great loss. He was one of the finest looking and best soldiers in the Battalion. 2/Lt. Paul was wounded at about the same time.

The attack in front was beaten off and the afternoon in the immediate neighbourhood proved quiet, but there was a great danger of the company being surrounded.. The P.P.C.L.I on the right were forced back to their support trench and on the left to the north of the wood there was a large gap and both flanks were more or less in the air. Accordingly Capt. Gattie went to the HQ of the Rifle Brigade, near BELLEWAARDE LAKE, for reinforcements to protect the exposed flanks, especially to the north, and was able to guide them as far as the P.P.C.L.I. support trench, but machine gun fire prevented them from advancing further until dark. Meanwhile a party of of the Monmouths and KOYLI were in fact in advance of all other British troops with both flanks exposed. Towards the evening the bullets of our troops counter-attacking up the railway were beginning to take them in the rear, so that it was clearly impossible to hold on.

The party was now completely cut off from its own HQ, so Capt. Gattie proceeded to Brigade HQ for orders, leaving the remains of B Company under 2/Lt. Somerset.

Under cover of darkness the men of both units (3/Mons & 1/KOYLI) filed out of the right end of the trench (near Ziel House) and were sorted out, and the men in the wood were ordered to re-join. This party had received no orders to advance in the morning and had been left behind. The senior soldier, Cpl. Sketchley, had kept them together during the day and now led 30 men out to join the Company. The enemy attack up the railway on his left had come so near that his party had taken a prisoner and they now brought him with them. Cpl. Sketchley received the D.C.M. for his great initiative and pluck at this period. Capt. Mallinson was awarded the D.S.O., for his fine leadership in maintaining this position and finally in extracting his party from a very difficult position.

The enemy did not attempt to harass the withdrawal and the whole mixed party got safely back to Rifle Brigade HQ. After a halt there they proceeded across the railway to the POTIJZE road intending to rejoin the Brigade at VLAMERTINGHE.

At the GHQ line a Staff Officer ordered the party to the trenches again, so just as dawn was breaking on the 9th they turned off the road, near the trench occupied on May 4th and advanced across open fields to the front line. There was only room on their immediate front for the KOYLI so the Monmouthshire party occupied some little dugouts a hundred yards in rear.

Here the remains of B Coy. spent the day, among them two N.C.O.s who later in the war made the supreme sacrifice, Sergt. Lewis and Sergt. T.Howells, that fine old soldier who won the D.C.M. in the South African War and a bar to it in the Great War. Sergt. Owen of C Coy. joined the party during the day, also two men, who were shelled out of buildings on the left. The enemy paid no attention to B Coy., probably did not know of their existence, but fired heavy stuff overhead into YPRES all day. It was a day of inaction that tried the nerves far more than a day of hard fighting. Luckily it was not a day of starvation too, for early in the morning some foragers found a broken down water-cart and bread and tinned honey dumped in the road.

The casualties for the day had been enormous and the Brigade diary records these as being 128 Officers and 4379 men killed, wounded and missing.

Andy

Thanks to Andy, Christine & Michael, also a thanks to Andy (Max) for all info. on 28th Div., he sent me several months ago for this date. I do not know about the rest of you but when I first read about the fighting of 8th May 1915, I found the waters very muddy and unclear but now with all the info. at hand this days fighting is not so confusing, althrou saying that many of the accounts do not always agree on times, which is under standerable seeing that all units involved were in a fearful fight.

Annette