Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Talana Farm Cem., Boezinge-Ypres : 2 American soldiers ?

Aurel Sercu

And this is where the two graves must have been, from end 1917 (or in 1918) till 1919.

Then moved to Waregem Flanders Fields Cemetery, till 1921.

And then repatriated to the US.

Aurel

post-92-0-25746500-1453807720_thumb.jpg

In regard to Americans in French Service--they kept their US Citizenship by giving alliegence to the French Foreign Legion..instead of France {National Geographic December 1919}

The Legion Oath is an option for all volunteers in The Legion Etrangere, not just the Americans.

Not all Americans served in the Foreign Legion though... a good many served in metropolitan French regiments and units too. None of those lost their citizenship either (and they certainly wouldn't have sworn allegiance to the Legion Etrangere!). Some even transferred directly to the US Army upon the declaration of war after that was given as an option.

In regards to Dr. Baldwin.... he was an American Army officer (1st Lieut in the US Army Medical Corps) and, therefore, eligible for repatriation anyway. He was only on attachment to the Royal Fusiliers.

Dave

(PS... just curious as to why Dr.Baldwin was brought up in this thread? Is he one of the original Talana Farm burials?)

- 2/Lieut Joseph Favre Baldwin was KIA on 7th August 1918 and was buried in Franvillers Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme. He doesn’t appear to be there now and I cannot trace where he was moved to.

Barbara

Barbara,

(And Dave)

J. F. Baldwin is buried now in Texas, as PPF pointed out a couple of days ago (# 27).The story by the man who found out is here :

(From Franvillers Communal Cem. his remains were moved to another cemetery, and then later to Texas.)

Aurel

Thanks Aurel.

So...nothing to do with Talana Farm then? :thumbsup:

(Though, to be honest, the story does confuse me a little because ,for the life of me, I can't see anything particularly unusual about Baldwin's story!!!!)

Dave

Barbara,

And it would have been even more brilliant if I had the names of my two (ex) Talana Farm Cemetery Americans ! :-)

Aurel

• 5 months later...

After half a year I can add now that I have the names of the two American soldiers.

At last !  :-)

More about it later.

Aurel

• 3 weeks later...

Do the names come with a "back story"?  I only recently became aware of the 27th and 30th (US) Divisions roles in the Lys-Ypres operations myself.  A US client wanted to visit Kemmel and the ABMC Memorial.  Having taken his commission I then had to undergo a crash course!  All of that activity though is south and west of Ieper, not north.

• 3 weeks later...

BullerTurner,

Sorry, but I had (almost) forgotten. This is (should be) a link to the article put on Facebook:

(Sorry again, I only wanted to post a "link", but I see that more than just a link appears ...)

Aurel