Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skippers of the RNR Trawler Section

simoneyre

Morning

Ive tried to include all skippers who had that rank in the RNR so includes a lot of drifter and smack skippers Also covers men who were in the Fishery Reserve so will cover virtually all the Trawler and Drifter Skippers serving during WW1

Simon

This looks very interesting. A couple of questions: is it a listing of skippers/chief skippers and all the boats that they served in or a listing of boats and all the skippers who commanded them; and do the skippers include second hands who were promoted to warrant skipper rank during the war but retained their second hand official numbers?

1. Yes Jesse Jones is listed If his Granddaughter has a photo she could share that would be very much appreciated

2. Its an alphabetical list of all Skippers and Chief Skippers and includes second hands made up to Skipper. Includes all WSA SA and DA numbered Skippers Includes the boats they served on -at least as complete as I could make it from the Navy Lists- rather than an alphabetical list of the boats. Includes vessels lost and who the Skipper on board was

Simon

Jesse Joneses exploits on Q Ships and also in the Second war are a good read, I will talk to her and let you know, she has the DSC and proudly wears it on Remembrance Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know if trawlers requisitioned as minesweepers where classed as r nr or r n,and does your good book contain details of any minesweepers

Whalebone. Find here the award to Skipper Jones & the award to mentioned Gibbon for same incident.

GIBBON Charles J N/E S/Lt. RNVR 83P006 Ariadne 11 A.O.P 13.09.15 Gazetted

In Armed Trawlers against Enemy Submarines 11.07.15

DSC & specially promoted to Lt. R.N.R 11.07.15

Conducted a running fight with a German submarine, and though severely wounded refused to give up command to the Skipper until wounded a second time and disabled.

JONES Jessie N/E Skipper RNR 83P006 Ariadne 11 A.O.P 13.09.15 Gazetted

In Armed Trawlers against Enemy Submarines 11.07.15 DSC

Conducted a running fight with a German submarine, and though severely wounded refused to give up command to the Skipper until wounded a second time and disabled.Took charge after S/Lieutenant Gibbon was disabled and acted with creditable resolution till the submarine disappeared.

See - S/Lt. Gibbon - 83P006

Sadsac

Hi Simon,

Anyone of the name of West in the book?

sJ

Not the one being sought from Kerry, then...

The trawlers requisitioned formed the trawler section of the Royal Naval Reserve. My book will detail the Skippers of these Some other minesweepers did have Skippers on board but largely commanded by RNR or RN Lieutenants

I have 16 West listed Do you have a Christian name or service number Jane?

Simon

Afraid not Simon. As per another thread on the Ships and Navies forum there is a newspaper reference for a Vice-Admiral West who is reported as having died in the service of his country in the Dardanelles, absolutely nil other information except that his son lived in Kerry. All other avenues have been explored and found to be dead ends!

Hi Jane

these are all the Wests I have listed with the service numbers, seniority and vessels served on in case that gives any lead They are only those of RNR Skipper or Chief Skipper rank

Simon

Temp. Skr.

Alexander Shand West W.S.A. 987 SBV 11-Jan-15 Redrift Redrift Duthies Melinka Temp. Skr. Andrew West W.S.A. 785 BV 02-Jan-15 Resono Wheat Stalk Wheat Stalk Scot Temp. Skr. Charles West S.A. 955 SBV 27-Dec-17 Brochhead Temp. Skr. Charles John West S.A. 1627 SBV Not.W.S. 22-Mar-18 Olympia Temp. Skr. Edward West D.A. 12739 BV 27-Dec-17 Bombardier Temp. Skr. Frank West W.S.A. 877 SBV 12-Jan-15 Willow Bank Willow Bank Auld Lang Syne Fern Temp. Skr. George West W.S.A. 493 SBV 03-Nov-14 Flicker Killed 04-Mar-16 Temp. Skr. George West S.A. 954 SBV 30-Aug-15 Pittulae Pittulae Temp. Skr. George Andrew West W.S.A. 1318 SBV 27-Mar-15 Leonard Leonard Leonard Leonard Temp. Skr. George Francis West S.A. 2843 BV 12-Aug-18 Temp. Skr. James West W.S.A. 1171 SBV 01-Mar-15 George A. West George A. West George A. West George A. West Died Illness 13-Nov-18 Temp. Skr. James West S.A. 1644 SBV 15-Sep-17 Invalided 23-Oct-17 S.W.B. RN11206 Temp. Skr. (F.R.) James Henry West W.F.S. 329 B 31-Aug-17 Irwell Warrant Cancelled 17-Dec-17 Temp. Skr. William West W.S.A. 876 SBV 14-Jan-15 Thermopylae Thermopylae Thermopylae Thermopylae Temp. Skr. William West W.S.A. 1459 SBV 16-Apr-15 Coulard Hill Coulard Hill Coulard Hill Coulard Hill Temp. Skr. William Charles West S.A. 487 SBV 01-Jan-15 Sea King Sea King

Thanks Simon!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have just joined after seeing a question dated July 2013 from Chasray regarding a grimsby skipper George McCloud have no Idea how to contact this member but have all the information he needs as was a relation contact me barkter@hotmail.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested there is a book published which I have written on Trawler Skippers in WW1

Its mainly about their medals but other topics are covered as well and a full listing of the Skippers is there

Hope it might be of interest to some of you

http://www.omrs.org.uk/OrderProduct_72.asp?Action=Order&Customer_Id=77665353&ref=

Simon

Simon, I am going to get your book for my birthday but I would prefer to have it with your signature in it. Can you think of a way for me to do this ?

On another matter I have just purchased a mangled victory medal said to be named to W.S.A. 321 G. SMITH. SKR. R.N.R. There is a dreadful edge knock. G. SMIT is readable but there seems to be quite a gap between this and where the SKR. starts. So it could be SMITHERS or something else. Can you confirm what it is, please ?

SMITH, George, Skipper, Certificate No. 6613 (Issued 15/09/1903)

Former Sea Fishing Apprentice - signed indentures 25 Aug. 1888
Pre-war skipper of Grimsby trawlers: Hawk GY 46, 1904 - 1905 and Phoenix GY 21, 1906 -1913
DoB 30 Aug 1874. Married with six children.
Service record LINK
Terry
NB.The Phoenix was captured and sunk by UC 16 (Egon von Werner) along with five other Grimsby trawlers, 23 September 1916, and another five Grimsby trawlers the following day.

• 1 year later...
On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 08:46, simoneyre said:

For anyone interested there is a book published which I have written on Trawler Skippers in WW1

Its mainly about their medals but other topics are covered as well and a full listing of the Skippers is there

Hope it might be of interest to some of you

http://www.omrs.org.uk/OrderProduct_72.asp?Action=Order&Customer_Id=77665353&ref=

Simon

Hi Simon, I'm interested in purchasing a copy of this book, if you could give me the title. The link provided doesn't seem to work. I'm researching the war history of a relative, who was briefly a skipper of the 'Donside', before being sent to the Western Front. I've been able to obtain some information of his Army career from the 'burn't records', but have had little luck with his Navy records.

Gordon