Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pipers in the Trenches BBC2 Scotland

wandsworth

Looks fascinating. Us Sassenachs should be able to catch it on iPlayer in due course. Thanks for the tip off Rob

David

In many respects, an excellent programme. Peter Barton and his war-weary titfer did sterling duty and there was much droning and skirling. I had to replay a section to make sure that I had heard right - a chappie from the National Museum of Scotland (no less) Dr Stuart Allan said, pointing to the remains of a lighter on a Gallipoli beach: "I think this is the remains of a monitor (A MONITOR!!!!) - a small boat that's part of the ferrying of men and supplies". I think I need a lie down.

By the same team that produced The Machine Gun and Skye's Band of Brothers. I was unable to assist them this time because, despite intensive study of the German sources for twelve years now, I have only come across one fleeting reference to piping - on Day 2 of the Battle of Cambrai. Meanwhile the so far barren search for any mention of 'Devils in Skirts' continues.

Jack

Someone sent it to me some years ago and unfortunately I have no idea where it came from. Presumably a regimental history.

Mick

Oh well. I shall just have to keep my eyes open. By the way, if you can find me a German reference to 'Devils in Skirts', I shall buy you beer all evening.

Jack

Someone sent it to me some years ago and unfortunately I have no idea where it came from. Presumably a regimental history.

Mick

I found it in the Westfalia book of Honour and posted it on the GWF about four years ago.

S

In many respects, an excellent programme. Peter Barton and his war-weary titfer did sterling duty and there was much droning and skirling. I had to replay a section to make sure that I had heard right - a chappie from the National Museum of Scotland (no less) Dr Stuart Allan said, pointing to the remains of a lighter on a Gallipoli beach: "I think this is the remains of a monitor (A MONITOR!!!!) - a small boat that's part of the ferrying of men and supplies". I think I need a lie down.

I was an ink monitor until my unfortunate trip.

One quote:

Die schottischen Soldaten sind Teufel trägt Kleider. Ihre Musik ist ekelhaft und ihre Manieren sind noch schlimmer. Niemand kann sie verstehen. Sie tragen nichts auf den Arsch.

What an excellent programme. I shall long remember Michael Stedman's harrowed face after he was played the noise of battle

David

Has anyone who doesn't live in the UK, found the programme on any internet channel or similar?

I'd love to watch it but the BBC doesn't permit access to people overseas.

Grumpy, thanks for that. Can you provide the source and confirm that the quotation is precisely as it was written in the original?

Jack

Thanks for the tip Simon. Only 550 large pages to check! :whistle:

Page 158!

Grumpy, thanks for that. Can you provide the source and confirm that the quotation is precisely as it was written in the original?

Jack

I was being norty I fear. Please forgive weird sense of humour!

For those of us less blessed than others in European languages other than English and gibberish, is there any chance of translations for the foreign bits, please?

This is what Google Translate will do for you.

The Scottish soldiers are devil wears clothes. Their music is disgusting and their manners are worse. No one can understand them. They contribute nothing to the ass

Hey ! Those wacko Huns eh ?

I think the last sentence might be rendered "They do not wear underpants". "Tragen" translates usually as "carry" or - in the case of clothes, "wearing".

Similarly, an Iron Cross recipient will be "eiserneskreuztrager"

Thanks for the translations :whistle:

Anyway, I got round to watching this programme on iPlayer: most odd. It seemed to be cobbled-together from items for The One Show. None of it was uninteresting, and none of it bad ... it just seemed aimless and rather a pot=boiler.

And the bloke from Brighton, with the strange facial hair and even stranger rug was barking. Having done nothing more dangerous than marching through London behind the P&D, I can tell you they have an effect. I didn't need to pound a running machine for 5 minutes.

I'm sort of glad I watched it (no programme with plentiful pipes and plentiful shots of London Jocks can be all bad), but it didn't live up to the success of the Machine Gun programme.

Oh well. I shall just have to keep my eyes open. By the way, if you can find me a German reference to 'Devils in Skirts', I shall buy you beer all evening.

Jack

'Devils in Skirts' now that's one I've not heard before but it makes a change from the other myth of the Germans referring to the 'Ladies from Hell'.

Edit: Thank you Derek for flagging it up on iPlayer. I've just watched and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...