Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this uniform The Seaforth Highlanders?

valkerr

post-106551-0-31263700-1391566369_thumb.

I am trying to identify the uniform of James Bell born 1898 in Newcastle upon Tyne, photo was taken in 1916. His son thinks it could be The Seaforth Highlanders but he's not 100% sure.

Any pointers greatly appreciated,

Valerie

Hi and welcome to the forum

It very well could be - everything is consistent with Seaforth Highlanders but there is not enough detaill on this scan to be 100% sure - however had you asked I would have suggested Seaforth because of the kilt tartan.

BTW I think it unlikely the picture was taken in 1919 given the shoes/spats (and the fact it appears to say 1916 on it? :) )

Chris

Thank you Chris. Waiting for a relative to find another photo that hopefully will be clearer.

And I thought I'd corrected the 1919 to 1916 before it was spotted!

It may well be a photo of a Seaforth Highlander. It could also be a soldier of the Liverpool Scottish.

As Chris points out, the spats are indicative that the photo was probably taken earlier, in 1914 or 1915 perhaps. There is a troubling point in this connection: The Seaforth Highlanders wore red-white diced hose with spats which would have been shown clearly in the photo and would have almost certainly been available early in the war. The Liverpool Scottish wore red-black hose, and that is more consistent with the image.

Interestingly, the subject wears no cap badge on the glengarry.

It may well be a photo of a Seaforth Highlander. It could also be a soldier of the Liverpool Scottish.

As Chris points out, the spats are indicative that the photo was probably taken earlier, in 1914 or 1915 perhaps. There is a troubling point in this connection: The Seaforth Highlanders wore red-white diced hose with spats which would have been shown clearly in the photo and would have almost certainly been available early in the war. The Liverpool Scottish wore red-black hose, and that is more consistent with the image.

Interestingly, the subject wears no cap badge on the glengarry.

I can just see a hint of a cap badge myself, just far too low resolution to get anything from it. Also, during the war it is not uncommon to see soldiers wearing undiced/khaki hose with spats, which would again be consistent with the picture. For what it's worth I think Seaforths is a very good call from what we can see.

Too bad James Bell is a fairly common name in both the Seaforths and Liverpool units. Lost to choose from.

I see what might be a hint of a belled Garter Flash on his right leg--This would lend evidence to Seaforth's.

However, everything is too indistinct to tell for sure.

Hope to see the next picture.

Joe Sweeney

Could it also be a Gordon? Yellow overstripe on the kilt. Having said that I can't see a belled garter flash which a Gordon should have.

Roger.

Could it also be a Gordon? Yellow overstripe on the kilt. Having said that I can't see a belled garter flash which a Gordon should have.

Roger.

Orthochromatic film (as was commonly used during the period) usually renders yellow very dark, hence the "disappearing" stripe associated with pictures of them. Seaforth have the prominent white (and red) stripe, and the white would not be affected.

My little bit of info may be of no consequence but if you are interested then see my post below as one of my pictures has a regiment "the West Yorkshires" with drummers. The drums are belonging to the "Seaforths" probably because the "West Yorkshires" did not have any of their own.

Cheers

Sue

Identify a regiment / s please

In looking further at the original photo, I think I see three vertical white stripes on the apron of the kilt. This would be consistent with the Forbes tartan worn be the Liverpool Scottish.

The MacKenzie tartan in the sett worn by the Seaforth Highlanders would have four vertical white stripes arranged symmetrically with a red stripe down the center.

Although the photo is indistinct with some remaining uncertainty, the white vertical stripe on the wearer's left appears too close to the center of apron for it to be MacKenzie.

I vote Liverpool Scottish.

gordon92, I wonder if you would mind casting your expert eye over this one recently posted today:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159323&page=2

I am no expert on uniforms but think all three may well be Seaforth. I did ask him to post under uniform for a more qualified opinion than I can give.

Many thanks in advance.

gordon92, I wonder if you would mind casting your expert eye over this one recently posted today:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159323&page=2

I am no expert on uniforms but think all three may well be Seaforth. I did ask him to post under uniform for a more qualified opinion than I can give.

Many thanks in advance.

seaforths,

All three of those men in the thread you reference are definitely Seaforth Highlanders. This is based on the visible white stripes of the MacKenzie tartan, the sporran, and the visible cap badge.

Mike

seaforths,

All three of those men in the thread you reference are definitely Seaforth Highlanders. This is based on the visible white stripes of the MacKenzie tartan, the sporran, and the visible cap badge.

Mike

Thanks very much Mike,

I thought as much but your eyesight must be far superior to mine! And the more I zoomed in the more blurred it became (to me). The sporran badge I could clearly make out the stag's head.

Cheers

Marjorie

I would agree that the top picture is a Seaforth Highlander. The white stripes on the kilt are very prominent on the Seaforth/Mackenzie tartan. Also I would suggest that the picture was taken in late 1915/early 1916. My grandads photo is similar with the common pattern battledress tunic compared to the cutaway version. Apparently due to shortages it was common for the non cutaway jacket to appear in photos......also, did the Seaforths change over to the khaki Tam O shanter headress in approx February 1916?

• 4 weeks later...
tn_gallery_102650_789_45016.jpg

tn_gallery_102650_789_12485.jpgtn_gallery_102650_789_27323.jpg

Hi

I am unsure how to post the pictures bigger. Can I ask If anyone knows which regiment these soldiers were in please? They are also copied into my Profile Gallery if it makes it easier.

Regards

Mike

tn_gallery_102650_789_45016.jpg

tn_gallery_102650_789_12485.jpgtn_gallery_102650_789_27323.jpg

Hi

I am unsure how to post the pictures bigger. Can I ask If anyone knows which regiment these soldiers were in please? They are also copied into my Profile Gallery if it makes it easier.

Regards

Mike

Alexander Ross (third photo) is definitely in the uniform of the Seaforth Highlanders.

George Donald Ross (second photo) appears to be wearing the uniform of a Canadian Highland regiment possibly the 59th Stormont & Glengarry Regt (154th Bn CEF). Perhaps, someone will be along soon with a better knowledge of the Canadian regiments.

Thanks thats appreciated. I thought Alexander Ross was Seaforth, just wanted confirmation. He doed around 1916 so I'm told so just trying to find him.