Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify a regiment / s please

Susan Horton

I put an old photo up (topic: - What Regiment is this)

some maybe two years or more ago and it was decided that the regiment was the "west yorkshire". Since then I have found three more photo's from the same batch which I think are also "west yorkshires" I have posted the old original photo as it likely relates to the others. The family did come from Yorkshire / county Durham area

Photo military 1

The photo I originally posted a long time ago.

Photo military 2 has one soldier in it. I am uncertain from his cap badge if he is in the west yorkshires or not as it is not clear enough for me, what does anyone else think.

Photo military 3 is a larger family group with two soldiers. One of the soldiers looks from his cap badge to be in the "west yorkshires" but the other cap badge does seem a bit different and I have no idea. The man at the front I am wondering if he is wearing a silver war badge as it does look like that but I am not sure. I am also wondering if the man query west yorkshires is the same man as in the 1st picture just to the side and behind the front drummer.

Photo military 4 has a cap badge which seems to identify with the "West Yorkshires.. If it is the family member I think it is William Christopher Ingram Hird then he did hail from Yorkshire.

All observations and comments most gratefully received.

Regards

Sue

post-43584-0-56067900-1391719196_thumb.j

post-43584-0-81949800-1391719614_thumb.j

post-43584-0-67180200-1391719804_thumb.j

post-43584-0-89391300-1391719929_thumb.j

First apologies, I must say the pictures have not come out in the order I have described them.

The order is this

Photo military 1 now the last one

Photo military 2 now the third one

Photo military 3 now the second one

Photo military 4 now the first one

Thank you

Sue

As I can see them:

1) Photo in studio with woman - a drummer (drum on sleeve and dress cord) in the West Yorkshire Regiment

2) Group photo - man on left Sergeant in the RAMC with 1914 or 1914-15 Star, BWM & VM ribbons; middle a Private of the Lincolnshire Regiment with BWM/VM ribbons and overseas stripes for between 2 and 3 years cumulative overseas service; man on left discharged soldier with either 1914 or 1914-15 Star ribbon, silver war badge and one wound stripe. Picture dates to early twenties due to issue of ribbons for BWM/VM.

3) Two men and two women. A Bandsman (harp on sleeve). I can't identify the cap badge.

4) Drummers of the West Yorkshire Regiment.

Steve.

From the top of the page down:

1. Looks like a Drummer in the West Yorkshire Regiment.

2. Left a Sergeant in the Royal Army Medical Corps with what look like WW1 campaign medal ribbons - possibly Star and Trio; and a Private in the Lincolnshire Regiment wearing 3 Overseas Service Stripes wearing WW1 pair campaign medal ribbons; the third man may be wearing a Silver War Badge and possibly a British War Medal ribbon and a wound stripe.

3. A Private in an unknown Regiment. The arm badge may be Bandsman.

4. Band from the West Yorkshire Regiment.

Rgds

Tim D

Thank you Steve and Tim for that.

I don't know where the wound stripe would be; is it that mark on the sleeve near the cuff or is that a defect in the photo?

Thank you

Sue

3. A Private in an unknown Regiment. The arm badge may be Bandsman.

Rgds

Tim D

I think the cap on the lady's lap has the badge of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding). Might be 7th Dragoon Guards, but Duke's is more likely.

The wound stripe is the light coloured bar positioned vertically on the left forearm.

I agree Broomers...well deciphered. Duke's it is.

Rgds

Tim D

Thank you Steve and Tim for that.

I don't know where the wound stripe would be; is it that mark on the sleeve near the cuff or is that a defect in the photo?

Thank you

Sue

The wound stripe is a vertical gold stripe on the left lower sleeve.

Thank you all for that extra information regarding the Duke of Wellingtons regiment and now I see the wound stripe.

Thank you

Sue

RE the regimental buckle on the webbing belt. I can't say I have seen this in great war period, I have worn something similar cold war period. Aware of something similar prior to this period but not prior to conscript period. How common a thing was it?

Bandies....had to dress them up somehow!