Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New here, need a little help

wilbo

Hi everyone, I guess I am not unusual making my first post asking for help. I have been researching family history, in particular around WW1. I have come up against a bit of a wall at the moment. The picture attached is Charles Henry Davis, my partner's Great Grandfather. I think his insignia is a warrant officer in the Royal Fusiliers but I am not sure. I just feel there are some subtle differences in the cap badge to the close ups I have seen. He lived around Cheltenham in Gloucestershire and the family thought he was in the Gloucesters. I have found nothing in terms of military records, only the 1911 Census, even then it is such a common name it could be wrongpost-102142-0-53585900-1379769312_thumb.. As far as I can work out the Fusiliers with that style badge were London based. ( if that is what it is ). If anyone can offer a bit of expertise I would appreciate it.

Will I, I don't think you are being ignored. If you were to add a little more to your title something along the lines of Royal Fusiliers Photo? Perhaps you might get more bites.

The photo shows The Royal Fusiliers although it is impossible to tell anything further apart from the fact that he is an Regimental Sergeant Major(R.S.M.) see the insignia on both forearms.

It is of course always possible that he had previously served in the Gloucesters and later became a W0 CL1 in the Royal Fusiliers.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Have you any of the following;

DOB

Service Number.

Anything on back of photo

Did he survive the war.

Thank you so much.

He did survive the war intact ( 13 kids ). Unfortunately the picture is not the original so there is nothing on the back. I have subscribed to FWR and Ancestry but with a name like Davis there are 1000's of results even when you add other details to narrow it down. I will see if I can get the photo, it may have a clearer view of the decorations. I don't know how long he stayed in the army and weather this pic is post war,

There are two Charles H Davis with the RF in the Medal Index Cards:

SR/6756 Private,4 RF,first landed in France on 29.11.1914 and was discharged on 12.10.1916 to Silver War Badge.No ref to his being a Wt.Off. though.

GS/130987 but can't get the card at the moment.This one looks like he went to war after 1915.

There are also a few Charles Davis with the RF which will need a check out.

Is there another smaller pocket above the breast pockets? Would it help to date?

Medal ribbons? So if pre war medals easier to ID the chap. Looks very much the RSM.

As a side question, when did the RSM wear hybrid officer uniform?

There are definitely two ribbons and possibly three. The one showing white will almost certainly be the King's South Africa ribbon and the one to its left, looking at the photo, will be the Queen's South Africa ribbon--and there could be a third ribbon to the left of the QSA ribbon--possibly a D.C.M. or an IGS?

wilbo, just ensure you have only subscribed to FWR for only the month (if that's what you've chosen)

Many people find they haven't checked that they only want the one month and end up paying further months unwittingly

Been told this morning that my mother in law has the medals. ( nice to find these things out ) so that will be the next thing I need a picture of.

I only ticked the box for FWR for one month. I am a little disappointed with that site because I have found medal rolls for a great uncle of mine through Ancestry and FWR has no record of him.

His Regimental details will be on the medals either on the back of "Star" medals or the rims of the circular ones.

Steve.

There are two Charles H Davis with the RF in the Medal Index Cards:

SR/6756 Private,4 RF,first landed in France on 29.11.1914 and was discharged on 12.10.1916 to Silver War Badge.No ref to his being a Wt.Off. though.

GS/130987 but can't get the card at the moment.This one looks like he went to war after 1915.

There are also a few Charles Davis with the RF which will need a check out.

130987 is a Private too,so not your man,and,as I suspected he didn't enter the war until after 1915.

The other Charles Davises are also Privates.

Well it seems we do not have the medals after all , they were someone elses. I have now got an address, at least in 1913. 9 St Paul's Parade, Cheltenham. Still struggling to find much though.

Well it seems we do not have the medals after all , they were someone elses. I have now got an address, at least in 1913. 9 St Paul's Parade, Cheltenham. Still struggling to find much though.

Mother in laws..eh!!

I have been unable to trace anyone close to your man in the Glosters.

The only Charles H Davis transfered to the MGC as a Corporal. Your man may have been a

pre-war regular or territorial Gloster or he may have not have served overseas.

Thanks Simon I found him too.

I am told that Charles was in the army in 1899 and was born in 1883. Also , apparently the original of the photo was on his daughters wall when she died, but disappeared and no one seems to know where. It is such a shame but I suppose with so many records being destroyed we may never get any further.

I just want to say though that I am so impressed with how many people have been so helpful on this. It takes a lot of effort to plow through some of this stuff and I really appreciate it.

I have been researching my own family too. Fortunately my dad remembers his uncle from his own youth. I found the medal roll for James Shrosbree ( great uncle ) but no further military records. He was in London rgt mgc.

I also found out quite a bit about another great uncle , Dib Field. He was from Finsbury and he has a bit of a tragic story. He was seriously wounded in the head by shrapnel and left in no mans land. When the germans pushed back he was bayonetted several times to make sure he was dead, but then when the british went back through a few days later he was picked up for burial and was still alive. Unfortunately he was killed in 1962 when someone hit him over the head with a bottle whilst trying to rob his tobacconist shop in Brixton. He was a favourite with the kids when my dad was younger because when he had a few at parties he used to take his shirt off and scare them all with is bayonet scars. I have found no military record of him at all though which is a shame, as I would love to show my dad.

I think he may have been too young to have served in the Ango-Boer War but he may show

up in the pre war service records on FMP. I have never used that site so am not 100% sure

of what they contain or cover but it may be worth a look.

Very sad and moving story about your GU.