Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

YMCA home front support

Warwick

Spurred on by a few people on this forum, I have spent a little time today sorting through 1 years worth (1915) of letters, postcards and telegrams written by my Great Great Uncle. so far I have simply put them into chronological order and skimmed read through a few of them (there are in excess of 125 pieces of correspondence)...

The attached letter caught my eye for two reasons:

1. the fantastic YMCA letterhead - I have seen examples of the read triangle logo, but not this logo!?
  2. there is no date - frustrating my chronological efforts

It appears to be the first time my GGU has used the YMCA facilities, and he talks enthusiastically of the facilities available (fires, a piano, writing equipment etc.)

Regards

Warwick

post-93893-0-60117300-1376499420_thumb.j

No exact date but when did L coy Scots guards frequent catherham?

Is L coy the training/public duties part of the Guards? Strange beasts them guardsmen :thumbsup:

Thanks both for the replies...

These guardsmen are indeed strange beasts - My GGU was originally from Accrington, so how did he end up in the Scots Guards?

His letters indicate that he was in London during 1914 pursuing a career on the stage. With the outbreak of war the theatres were hit hard, he comments on the 12 October 1914 that "I really don't see how they can possibly keep open, especially with a company like ours which has sixty people on stage + 35 if an orchestra, to say nothing of a tremendous staff. London is now like a dungeon at night fearing the zeppelin raids and it is said that not a theatre in London will be open in Town by November if the present gloom prevails". If the theatres fail he talks of coming home to Accrington and enlisting.

He also mentions that he is a member of "the United Arts Force at Earls Court, and go there to drill about 3 - 4 times per week".?

The next letter I have from him is from Caterham on the 16th Nov 1914. Private Oldham, No 12117, Scots Guards L Company, Sgt Raynors Squad, No 21 hut Caterham, has enlisted! He stays in Caterham, training until the 17th March 1915 at which time he transfers to London. While in Caterham, the Accrington Pals regiments form up and is reported in the papers, and he writes to his father that he is "naturally very interested in the 'Pals' especially the officers section, I seem to know so many." - how differently it could have turned out!

He was first due to be deployed to Wellington Barracks in London in late January, to replace a large detachment from said barracks who were leaving for the front, where the "Guards have been having rather a rough time lately". Their duties would apparently include "Guard duty at the St James' and Buckingham Palaces, Hyde Park Magazine and the Bank of England"! The deployment was delayed due to an out break in barracks of cerebral meningitis in late January, and they had to wait until mid March 1915.

Around the 17th March 1915 he was at first he was deployed to The Scots Guard Sub Depot, P Company at Burton Court, Chelsea - which all sound very grand until he points out that "really it is just a cricket ground belonging to the Duke of Yorks Headquarters + Chelsea Barracks", he describes the camp bordering three side of the field with long rows of canvas huts, each hut sleeping eight men, and a about 300 men camped all told.

By the 16th April 1915 he was at Wellington Barracks. Eventually he must have come to the same conclusion as Scalyback above that these guardsmen were strange beasts, because in frustration at not doing his part at the front he applies for a commission with the East Lancs Regiment and was posted to France in September 1916, joining the 1st East Lancs Regiment.

He fought in the Battle of the Somme at Le Transloy, then in the Battle of Arras at the First Battle of the Scarpe (somewhere on the western front he was mentioned in dispatches).

After a brief spell in hospital (for an Ulcer on his eye), he was posted to Salonika joining the 9th East Lancs Regiment (where he won his military cross), with even a brief letter from Serbia as they were chasing the retreating Bulgars after the second battle of Dorian(?), before finally ending up in Constantinople.

You could say he had an entertaining war - the last production he was involved in before joining up was "the Chocolate Soldier" at the Lyric Theatre, in aid of the Belgium Relief Fund - he would go on to stage the Chocolate Soldier in Salonika and Constantinople entertaining the occupying forces.

Lots to go through and research!

Regards

Warwick

He also mentions that he is a member of "the United Arts Force at Earls Court, and go there to drill about 3 - 4 times per week".?

Warwick

He is probably referring to the United Arts Volunteer Rifles, which was part of the Volunteer Training Corps (WW1 equivalent of the Home Guard).

Their history can be found here

http://ia700500.us.a...tedar00pott.pdf

By the way I hope you like the attached photo of Lt John Stephens Oldham............

post-55476-0-00142800-1376597389_thumb.j

I understand that his stage name was Derek Oldham

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Derek_Oldham

I may well have other photographs of him playing the "Chocolate Soldier" , which I have yet to scan.

His service records are held at the National Archives under reference WO 339/53466. I assume that he did not bother to apply for his Campaign Medals (British War Medal and Victory Medal) because I have been unable to track down any Medal Cards for him. There is a card on Ancestry recording his MID (London Gazette 18th December, 1917 page 13236).

Sepoy

Andrew thank you for adding the above link which I had not seen before. I have a photograph album in my collection kept by one of Lt Oldham's fellow "Chocolate Soldier" players covering Salonika, Bulgaria and Constantinople.

Sepoy

Hi Sepoy

Many thanks, you have helped answer a question that has been bugging me for a while now - Why do we only have his Military Cross and not the VM or SWB. We have the trio in minature but only the full size MC!

I have a number of copies of the photo you kindly posted - My GGU was not shy of the camera and we have boxes and boxes of photographs of him, but I would be very interested in any Salonika Chocolate Soldier photos as I may have them in the collection and not know when they were taken.

Most of the uniformed photos I have are taken in East Lancs REgiment dress, but the attached is on of the few I have found that appear to be from his time in the Scots Guard???

With regards to his name... He was Christened "John", he writes to his father and sister as Jack, and his nephew (my grandfather) as Uncle Derek! Interestingly he enlists under Derek Oldham, but in the process of going for a commision with the East Lancs Reg. he notes in one of his letters the confusion this has caused and appears in the rest of his career under his christian name John Stephens Oldham.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the link - that particular thread was the first thing that drew me to the GWF last year - I have still not got round to contacting Highwood, prefering to lurke in the shadows while I learn a bit more about the Great War and this website (I am very green to this!).

Regards

Warwick

post-93893-0-14257300-1376603137_thumb.j

Warwick

I was with a Medal Collecting friend Len when I purchased the Album (unfortunately, without any medals) and it caused Len great excitement when he saw your Uncle's photo. Apparently, Len had seen Derek Oldham performing on a number of occasions. Unfortunately, Len died quite a few years ago, but it was his enthusiasm which led me to carry out some basic research.

I will dig the album out to look through for other photographs of Lt Oldham.

Sepoy

Many thanks Sepoy,

I look forward to comparing photographs - until then here is another (East Lancs dress this time I think?).

Am I correct about the Scots Guards Uniform above? (sadly ignorant to the detail of these things, but I thought the SG on the shoulders was a give away!?)

With regards to the medals, we have his Military Cross within the family (see avatar), and if you are right in saying he did not apply for his SWB and VM then I think the medals are accounted for?

Regards

Warwick

post-93893-0-47036500-1376606275_thumb.j

Warwick

Your are correct that he is wearing his Scots Guards uniform in post 9. As for his medals

Officers had to apply for their Medals, but many did not. It would be interesting to note what percentage of Officers actually applied for them. The Medals he would have been entitled to are the British War Medal (BWM) and Victory Medal (VM). So in reality you have his one issued Medal - it is a shame that the Military Cross is not named.

I think you misunderstood me when mentioning the SWB (Silver War Badge or South Wales Borderers depending on your subject). If Derek was Medically Discharged he would have been entitled to a Silver War Badge. I will dig around later to check this. Members of the South Wales Borderers were in his Military Theatre Group.

I will be in contact over the weekend regarding other "Oldham" photos

Sepoy

Thanks Sepoy,

Not so much a misunderstanding as ignorance on my part... I knew having served he would be entitled to the VM (the yellow one...) and that having served overseas in action he would be entitled to the other one (the silver one...)!

I just forgot it was called a British War Medal !!! and referred to it as a Silver War Badge - as I said earlier, I am very green to all this!

I have the miniture of the trio complete with MID oakleaf!

Kind regards

Warwick

His letters indicate that he was in London during 1914 pursuing a career on the stage. With the outbreak of war the theatres were hit hard, he comments on the 12 October 1914 that "I really don't see how they can possibly keep open, especially with a company like ours which has sixty people on stage + 35 if an orchestra, to say nothing of a tremendous staff. London is now like a dungeon at night fearing the zeppelin raids and it is said that not a theatre in London will be open in Town by November if the present gloom prevails". Quote WARWICK

The first Zeppelin raid on Britain was 19/1/15 along the east coast. The first raid on London was 31/5/15.

If your date [12/10/14] is correct it would suggest that these raids were expected and that Britain knew the German plans. I have an ebook somewhere on my pc re air defences, I will try and look it out and see when Britain first started its planning.

Warwick

As promised a few more photographs of your Uncle and the 22nd Divisional Theatre Company's "Chocolate Soldier" tour.

post-55476-0-54547900-1376841115_thumb.j

post-55476-0-19075800-1376841161_thumb.j

And finally for today, before I bore everyone.

I hope you are able to pick Derek Oldham out in some of the photographs

Sepoy

post-55476-0-56994100-1376841745_thumb.j

post-55476-0-25012000-1376841776_thumb.j

His letters indicate that he was in London during 1914 pursuing a career on the stage. With the outbreak of war the theatres were hit hard, he comments on the 12 October 1914 that "I really don't see how they can possibly keep open, especially with a company like ours which has sixty people on stage + 35 if an orchestra, to say nothing of a tremendous staff. London is now like a dungeon at night fearing the zeppelin raids and it is said that not a theatre in London will be open in Town by November if the present gloom prevails". Quote WARWICK

The first Zeppelin raid on Britain was 19/1/15 along the east coast. The first raid on London was 31/5/15.

If your date [12/10/14] is correct it would suggest that these raids were expected and that Britain knew the German plans. I have an ebook somewhere on my pc re air defences, I will try and look it out and see when Britain first started its planning

Can you confirm the date for me please Warwick?

Can you confirm the date for me please Warwick?

Just had a quick catch up of this post having been away for the weekend - WONDERFUL pictures - thank you so much Sepoy.

Johnboy I will post a copy of the letter mentioning the Zepplins this evening.

Many thanks

Warwick

Warwick

I should have stated that the photograph album was compiled by 546099 Lance Corporal Fred Sidney Walters, 102nd Sanitary Company, Royal Army Medical Corps. He was eventually discharged during 1919 suffering with malaria and deafness.

Fred is on the left.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-11562900-1376906562_thumb.j

Thank you Cary

I have posted the scan of the 22nd Divisional Theatre Company roll on Kate's thread together with a link to this one.

Sepoy

Just to bring it back full circle, the attached postcard (post dated 18 Sep 1914) advertises the 1914 production of the Chocolate Soldier in the Lyric Theatre London.

In a letter home around the 30th August 1914 Derek Oldham writes exitedly about his new part of Bumerli. He apparently saw the production 8 or 9 times in and around Accrington when it was previously touring as a regular production and the Belgium Relief Fund production included nearly all the original cast "I am the only new one, so far as I can tell at present".

He had only a week to prepare for the role, commenting "doesn't it just show that my extravagance at one time is being very useful!"

Regards

Warwick

post-93893-0-92630600-1376948038_thumb.j

post-93893-0-02678200-1376948047_thumb.j