Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench art with researchable ownership: L McN Hewitt / Derek Oldham

high wood

Today's car boot sale find was this rather nice piece of trench art with an East Lancashire cap badge mounted on it. The piece is made from the bases of two 18 pdr shell cases. What really sets it apart is the inscription which reads: To Derek Oldham from L. McNeill-Hewitt. 16.7.18.

I can find no trace of anyone called Derek Oldham amongst the MIC's. I have found L. McNeill Hewitt who appears to have been a Captain in the Army Service Corps before transferring to the RAF. (I would be grateful if someone could post his MIC). Does anyone have any ideas who Derek Oldham might have been and why a Captain in the ASC/RAF would have presented him with a piece of trench art during the Great War?

Does anyone have any ideas who Derek Oldham might have been and why a Captain in the ASC/RAF would have presented him with a piece of trench art during the Great War?

:o

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:aY4C1...nk&ie=UTF-8

I have a piece of Trench Art, a Matchbox Holder,which I can clearly identify - belonging to a serving soldier in WW1,and was sent home to his loved ones, both as, token of his separation and as a serving soldier, his love for his Battalion.

George

thank you for a superb piece of work; that his real name was John Stephens Oldham explains why I could not find a medal index card for Derek Oldham. The commission into the East Lancashire Regiment explains the cap badge and the Military Cross with the Scots Guards is the icing on the cake.

It was elementary, my dear Watson ;) * - whilst your attention was distracted, I was able to obtain a small sample of tobacco from the piece of trench art. Under the microscope, I was able to ascertain that it was Yedidje, a rare type favoured by theatricals. Affecting a suitable disquise, I left Baker Street and visited a number of well known tobacconists in the theatre quarter, enquiring if Mr Oldham had picked up his latest order, and was eventually rewarded by learning at Astley's that Mr Derek Oldham of the D'Oyle Cart Opera Company had yet to pick up his most recent shipment.

*I Googled "Derek Oldham", and the first hit was his mention on Wikipedia, with his involvement in WW1 listed. Simples. :lol:

It was elementary, my dear Watson ;) * - whilst your attention was distracted, I was able to obtain a small sample of tobacco from the piece of trench art. Under the microscope, I was able to ascertain that it was Yedidje, a rare type favoured by theatricals. Affecting a suitable disquise, I left Baker Street and visited a number of well known tobacconists in the theatre quarter, enquiring if Mr Oldham had picked up his latest order, and was eventually rewarded by learning at Astley's that Mr Derek Oldham of the D'Oyle Cart Opera Company had yet to pick up his most recent shipment.

My dear fellow,

I was but a few short steps behind you but what with the continual reminder of the Afghan campaign that I carry in the form of a round from a Pathan's jezail I sometimes have trouble keeping up. I fear that I must warn you about loitering with theatrical types; you have your reputation to think of and the chaps at my club are already begining to talk. No matter, when I come to write up, "the case of the brass tobacco container" for the Strand magazine I can brush over the seamier aspects of the case.

Yours as ever,

John.

Dr J. H. Watson.

• 3 months later...

Marvellous to see those, next time that seller turns up they'd better have his MC for sale, or I shall be sorely disappointed! ^_^

Fantastic finds :o

Where did you say the Car Boot sale was again ? :lol:

Neil

"It is a few miles South East of Runcorn. "

Yep, I know the one :P

Neil

Dave,

thank you for the MIC it is much appreciated. (We still don't know what the L stands for in his Christian name though)

Simon

see the LG entries - first name Lelean

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 26 OCTOBER, 1914. 8613

THE ARMY SERVICE CORPS.

The undermentioned to be temporary

Second Lieutenants: —

Dated 24th October, 1914. .

Lelean McNeill Hewitt.

1812 THE LONDON GAZETTE, 18 FEBUARY, 1916.

THE ARMY SERVICE CORPS.

Temporary Captain Lelean McNeill

Hewitt to take precedence as a temporary

Captain in the Corps and in the Army as if

his promotion to that rank bore date 10th

January, 1916.

Marvellous yet again - I related this story to my Mum, and she reminded me to ask for my "cut" should these be sold now their provenance is known :innocent:

Hi Simon,

Interesting fellow...and a wonderful find. Here's another picture of him in uniform... :)

OldhamasRl.jpg

Certainly it seems his recordings are available. Kudos for trying to keep it all together.

-Daniel

A Russian handbill for Rose Marie. (see letter).

I must be one of the few forumites who has seen a stage performance of Rose Marie; Newcastle Empire I think, c.1960

My grandparents instsisted!

Can anyone id the signature on the letter?

For your sake I had been hoping for Ivor (as in Ivor Novello, who was in the navy at that time )

But checking an on-line sample of his signature it does not seem to match

Still, interesting to speculate

For the record, this from the LG re the man himself

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 1 JANUARY, 1919. 77

AWARDED THE MILITARY CROSS.

T /Lt. John Stephens Oldham, E. Lan. R.,

attd. 9th Bn.

• 3 years later...

I wish I had discovered this thread earlier.

Hewitt and Oldham were both members of the Yellow Perils concert party in Salonika. Hewitt was a female impersonator, an exceptionally good one. He was the son of a non-Conformist minister, who entered the ministry himself on returning from the war, though he was drawn to the high end of the Church of England. He spent much of his career as a missionary in Africa. He was a colourful character.

Great to see photos of Derek Oldham. My kind host Peter Hodgkinson played me some of his recordings when I gave one of my talks a while ago.

Hi Simon & Kate,

Derek Oldham was my Great Great Uncle (his sister Daisy Peters (nee Oldham) was my Great Grandmother. Derek and his wife left no Children, so his archive of letters, photographs medals, scores etc. have passed down through our side of the family. I currently have in my possession all his letters written during the Great War, mostly to his sister, parents and occasionally brother, George.

Kate, I suspect there are / will be many things of interest to your research and I am happy to share information for your talks as they come to light... but you will have to bear with me because I can only go through the letters in my limited spare time!

Simon, I should have contacted you earlier but I have been lurking on this forum for a while now, having first discovered this site as a result of a google search for "derek oldham salonika" identifying this thread! I do of course hold you responsible for my subsequent addiction - hope you can live with the guilt :w00t: .

Kind regards

Warwick

edited for poor spelling!

Warwick,

I am delighted that you have made contact but be aware that you are talking to a fellow addict. I purchased the items from a local antique dealer who does house clearances over four years ago.

The story that I was told by the antique dealer was that someone had died and that the beneficiary of the will was an American who had no interest in any of the contents of the house. I was originally offered only the trench art and the photographs but subsequently purchased the music scores and other items in order to keep it all together.

I still have it all the items. Perhaps you could send me a personal message via the forum and we could continue the discussion.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

Another box of photographs - another gem....

May I present Captain Hewitt... (apparently also known as Fluffie !)

Regards

Warwick

post-93893-0-77788800-1378151060_thumb.j

post-93893-0-14939600-1378151167_thumb.j

What a character! His theme-song was Fancy Me Fancying You!