Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worst WW1 Song

Skipman

I think you should go out of the house - NOW!

(P.S.) I liked the pictures

I cant post a video, but it has been on tv loads of times

Title; Boom Boom Boom

Verse; Boom Boom Boom

Boom Boom Boom

Boom Boom Boom

Boom Boom Boom

Chorus... yes you guessed it!

Do you mean 'Boum' by the great Charles Trenet? If so it is not a Great War song but dates from 1938. It does have quite a few lyrics other than the word 'boum', albeit they are in French! The song is not about war at all but joie de vivre and incorporates various noises of the natural world in a humorous way. The 'boum' of the title is specifically related to the beating of the heart but generally refers to the concept of life and love 'busting out all over'.

However, it was brilliantly used in a sequence of the 'World at War' episode 'France Falls' where sounds of explosions etc are blended into the song.

In response to an earlier posting I would be happy to propose 'Keep Right on to the End of the Road' as one of the worst songs of the Great War. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it has been adopted as their theme tune by a certain Small Heath Alliance FC.

Mike

Before it all kicks off in here can I just ask if the Small Heath posse can confirm that Birmingham City's adoption of the best/worst WW1 song "Keep The Home Fires Burning" dates from a cup run in the 50's when they were drawn away in every round, or is it earlier? I'm off to Ovillers in 10 days time and I thought I would take my chums to see Captain John Lauder's grave and tell the story. If I actually knew what I'm talking about it might help.

Pete.

I think he meant Baldrick's masterpiece Boom boom, boom boom etc :P

Mike

Milk and sugar ,sir?

Sorry- I haven't watched 'Blackadder' for ages and I'd forgotten that. Am I imagining it or is Baldrick's song a sort of (anachronistic) parody of 'Boum'?

I shall consult my bluenose relatives as to when Small Heath adopted Sir Harry's stirring ditty as their anthem. I'm the black, or rather claret and blue, sheep of the family

Horror of horrors, I went onto the official Birmingham City website and there is a page devoted to the origins of the song's use by the deluded followers of said club:

http://www.bcfc.com/club/keep_right_on_anthem.aspx

The sacrifices I make for the sake of this Forum! Actually, it's quite an interesting story (he said through gritted teeth). As suspected, the song's adoption seems to date from long after the Great War.

Mark

Thanks for the link to the Blues website; I don't know why I couldn't have done that myself and saved you the angst. I feel particularly bad after events at Villa Park yesterday. My best mate is a Villa fan so I got used to counselling him last season when he was convinced that they were certain for the drop. At least your boys have two trenches named after them; I know it's not much of a consolation.

Accept my humble apologies, and sorry to all the music fans for dragging this a bit off topic. By the way Mike, I wonder if you have found any songs about the Aubers Ridge during your research?

Pete.

I thought I`d get a "bite" from the B6 Brigade! It`s true that we adopted the song later on, but it`s still a WW1 song, and one to certainly get the old blood stirred up in either context. Fatty Owls, I`m going to try to find out exactly when we adopted the song. I think that your reference to "Keep the home fires burning" was a slip of the something or other, but oddly enough, that`s another song that gets me going I must admit.

Lads

Sorry about putting completely the wrong song title in my post, my only excuse is that it was before my second cup of coffee. I really shouldn't be operating machinery in one cup mode. I agree completely about "Keep the Home Fires Burning". I remember seeing one of the last veteran programmes on TV and seeing Smiler Marshall talking about the amount of singing they did and thinking of it.

Mark, I had a go at a PM to avoid going further off topic but failed, sorry music lovers. The two trenches are on the Somme just to the east of Bazentin le Petit wood, see the attached. Note also that one adjoins Forest trench which might be refer to Nottingham or it could be the trees. I have a photo of the area if you are interested.

Regards,

Pete.

post-101238-0-87174500-1377450404_thumb.

Pete-thanks very much. I shall include a pilgrimage on my next Somme tour. Neverforget-follow my link in an earlier post to what looks like the definitive account on the BCFC website.

Check out this video on YouTube: Joe Solo ... November 12th

I promise this is my last plug for "Keep right on", and, (to fall respectfully back into line regarding the purity of the thread) free from all footballing references. I apologise for being initially responsible for the outbreak of hostilities with my provocative and frivolous K.R.O. :devilgrin:

Does anyone remember the end of the "Finding the lost battalions" channel 4 documentary, where that dear old girl found her great uncle`s name on the memorial and started talking to him. I don`t mind admitting I was choking back the tears at this point, But when she started to sing "Keep right on to the end of the road", well that was too much for me !

Incidentally, I found the whole programme to be one of the most moving that I have ever seen.

Thanks for the link Mark. I`ll check it out now.