Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

scottish war memorials

jamiemcginlay

Hi all!

Just found this site and it looks very interesting :)

I've been researching into Scottish War memorials ( on and off) for the past 20 years. I am steadily building a data base listing all of the names on all of Scotland's war memorials, which I hoped might be of use to geneologists etc.. I recently put some of my photographs onto my webshots album at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jamiemcginlay

If you click on that, or copy and paste it to your address window, you should get onto my site and I have a 'Scottish war Memorials' album at the end. If anyone needs any info on Scottish memorials I would be glad to help if I can.

All the best,

Jim

Wonderful photographs. I wish you the best of luck with your project. It is a very worthy one.

Here is a photo of a WWI memorial window dedicated to the 48th Highlanders of Toronto, Canada. It is located in Toronto at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Visitors to the city can view it daily as the doors are open.

post-19-1094777264.jpg

Hi Jim

Good site.

If you want any photos of memorials in Turriff and thereabouts then please let me know.

Regards

Jimmy

Hi Jim.

Great site thanks for sharing it with the Forum.

Cheers Rob.

Thanks all,

isn't the internet great, its good to be able to share this stuff with like minds!

I'm mostly interested in the art history, although I find all history fascinating. What I really like about WWI memorials is that the building of these memorials in the 1920's coincided with the end of the great age of monumental scuplture. There were so many wonderful artists and craftsmen around at the time and there are some quite outstanding works out there which are ignored simply because they are WWI memorials!

I think my interest started as a boy when I used to go off cycling into the countryside. I always stopped at the war memorial in a village about a mile from my home and proceeded to eat all my sandwiches and food ( leaving me with nothing for the rest of the day!). While I was eating I'd read the names and wonder what these men ( or boys) were like and if, like me, they took their bikes out into the country and ate their sandwiches too quickly. I know that sounds daft but as a kid you can strike up a relationship with these monuments that makes you start to think beyond yourself and about the kind of world you live in.

Hi Jim,

Could you tell me if Pte. Alexander Ritchie appears on the Rhynie Memorial? He served with the 12th (Labour) Battn. Black watch and died on 17 August 1916, aged 27.

All the best,

Derek

Jim,

Great idea to publish the pics. We have some cracking memorials in Scotland.

I've a database listing nearly 1200 names of men local to me who died in the Great War (Hawick and surrounding villages) but having contacts in other areas of the country with similar interest means that names can be traced in other parts.

Just out of interest, here's a picture of one of my favourite memorials.

It is in the churchyard at Minto, a small village just outside Hawick.

The face of the statue is said to have been modelled on that of Lt. Esmond Elliot, the son of the Earl of Minto who was killed near Ypres in 1917.

On the memorial’s completion, the Countess of Minto is reputed to have had the figure turned from its original position of facing the family estate because she said that ‘a British soldier never turns his back on the enemy’.

The memorial was unveiled by Sir Douglas Haig in September, 1921, a metal plaque records the names of 7 men who fell. The sculptor of the statue was Thomas J.Clapperton who was based in London (though a native of Galashiels), amongst his other works was the Flodden Memorial in Selkirk.

post-19-1094896052.jpg

Hi Jim,

Could you tell me if Pte. Alexander Ritchie appears on the Rhynie Memorial? He served with the 12th (Labour) Battn. Black watch and died on 17 August 1916, aged 27.

All the best,

Derek

Derek,

Yes and here it is.

Aye

Malcolm

post-19-1094921568.jpg

Thanks Malcolm,

That's absolutely fantastic. I have his Pair and Plaque but haven't had an opportunity to visit the memorial yet. Much appreciated.

All the best,

Derek

Thought I'd post the following photograph of Lochgelly Bowling Club War Memorial. It's one of the few private memorials I've come across - not counting Rolls of Honour. As you'd imagine all the men aso feature on the main town memorial.

Both Ptes. Rodger and Thomson were Gordon not Cameron Highlanders. Over the years most of the original lead was lost and when one of the members repainted it they mistook G.H. for C.H.

If you'd like an image for your database I'd be happy to send a better quality photo.

All the best,

Derek

post-19-1095194759.jpg

thanks derek!

No need to send photo, this one printed out perfectly and I'll add names to my data base.

Cheers!

Jim

Here's the Rothesay Memorial on it's dedication day 16th Sept, 1922.

Mike Morrison

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim

If I could be of any help I stay in the North of Scotland and would be more than happy to trace and take photos of memorials for names not yet in your collection.

Keep up the good work

Atholl Highlander

Hi Atholl!

Thanks for the offer. Where abouts are you? If your in the Atholl area I never managed to get to the Kinloch Rannoch memorial and could use a list of the names from that one. There is no hurry though...this is a long process!

Thanks again.

Jim

Where abouts are you? 

Bit further North Jim in Inverness but planning a short break during October Hols so what I'll do is pack the Digital Camera and try to take in Kinloch Rannoch.

Bit of a novice with the camera so fingers crossed.

Atholl

ps

Just for info along with the main memorial in Cavell Gardens,Inverness there's also one at St Columbas parish church.

Jas.

Excellent website! I wish more folk would do what you've done!

Jim.

Hello Jamie,

I run a wee website at www.newcumnock-warmemorials.org.uk. Our memorials are not as grand as those on your site but they are rugged just like the men of our village who went to war. Please feel free to look at it and extract what you want.

Richard M Bain