Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uppingham School Roll of Honour

MichaelBully

Greetings, I have been trying to establish whether or not Hugh Pollock Bunce, 2nd Ltn. North Staffordshire Regiment 8th Bat. died 05/10/1916 aged 21 was formerly a pupil at Uppingham School

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=44289

Have been trying to do websearches to see if there is an online Roll of Honour for former Uppingham school pupils who went on to fight in the Great War, but having no luck.

Assistance much appreciated

Michael Bully

From the Uppingham School Roll 1824-1931:

Bunce, Hugh Pollock

Born in March 1895, the son of J. Bunce, 28 The Coommon, Upper Clapton, N. E.

At Uppingham School from May 1910 to July 1914

2nd Lieut., Norfolk Regiment,

Killed accidentally, 5 October 1916

Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks Luw and Dick - appreciated.

Dick- yes they seem to be one and the same officer as it were though CWGC has 'North Staffordshire Regiment'.

Found a reference to a chap called Bunce in a letter sent by Victor Richardson to Vera Brittain dated 31st October 1916 in 'Letters from a Lost Generation' edited by Alan Bishop and Mark Bostridge whom Victor Richardson remembered from Uppingham School. Have been going through the name 'Bunce' on CWGC site.

With best wishes

Michael Bully

From the Uppingham School Roll 1824-1931:

Bunce, Hugh Pollock

Born in March 1895, the son of J. Bunce, 28 The Coommon, Upper Clapton, N. E.

At Uppingham School from May 1910 to July 1914

2nd Lieut., Norfolk Regiment,

Killed accidentally, 5 October 1916

Regards, Dick Flory

Although too early to cover Bunce's attendance there, an earlier version of the Uppingham School Roll (covering 1824-1905) which will include attendance details of older Old Boys who would have served in the GW, can be found online at the Internet Archive Here.

When HR Parkes was added to the CWGC Debt of Honour database (See Click) I contacted the Uppingham Association so that they could amend there records. An acknowledgement gave that he joined 447 Old boys who lost their lives in WW1 (a further 250 in WW2), who, as well as being remembered on both 'House' and 'School' memorials, are also honoured in the English Church, Ypres which also includes the the School's five VC Winners. There was no indication of what form the commemorations at the English Church take.

NigelS

Thanks for the information Nigel S. In the aforementioned Victor Richardson to Vera Brittain letter dated 31st October 1916 in 'Letters from a Lost Generation', Victor wrote;

" Uppingham has just had another rude awkening. Did Edward ever tell you of Bunce? He had a rotten time & was everyone's butt owing to his athletic incapacity.Some time ago his C.O. described him as the life and soul of the Battalion-Puckle scowled when I refused to admit surprise. Now he has been killed out here by falling on a bomb during practise to save the lives of his men. His. C.O. wrote 'He was a born leader of men' "

'Edward' is Vera's brother. 'Puckle' was Victor Richardson's housemaster at Uppingham. I am fascinated by this account of Ltn Bunce's death. He seems to have been a very courageous man.

There was no indication of what form the commemorations at the English Church take.

NigelS

My recollection of the St Georges Chapel(English Church?) in Ypres is that the walls are literally covered in memorials to British Regiments/Corps and also individual officers and men who were killed during WW1. These are mainly in the form of brass plaques although there may be some in marble etc? Almost 15 years since I visited Ypres.

I hope that these are one and the same thing?

Robert

If you are interested, you can Google "St George's Church, Ypres"

The site shows several pictures of the plaques within the church, but unfortunately does not list them, which I think is a shame.

Robert

It seems that Hugh Bunce could be mentioned in the Roll of Honour at St. Barnabas church in Hove.

It is worth looking at the memorial on number 64 of this thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=141796&st=50

This church was Victor Richardson's family parish church and it has been discussed on the aforementioned thread that the 'E. Brittain' and 'R.Leighon' on this memorial were Edward Brittain and Roland Leighton, remembered for being Victor's closest school friends who also died in the Great War. So far have not been able to find local War dead of the same names.

It is just possible that the 'H.Bunce' mentioned on the Roll of Honour is Hugh Bunce. Again I have not been able to trace any local War dead of that name, and as Victor had such high regard for him, the Richardson family proposed his name.

It is difficult to confirm unless I can find any parish records which record discussions concerning which names should appear on the St. Barnabas memorial.

Thanks Michelle, I had wondered . In the aforementioned quote from Victor's letters, had thought that 'Puckle' would have taught both Victor and Hugh Bunce during their time at Uppingham. Looking at the notes from 'Letters from a Lost Generation', 'Puckle' is one Horace Puckle , who was housemaster at Lodge House, Uppingham.

Regards

Michael Bully

http://www.cwgc.org/...?casualty=44289

Michelle

Bunce was in Lodge House the same as the 3 Musketeers