Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uppingham School old boys casualties

Chris_Baker

Chris

On 24th April in Reference Books (Sorry not sure how to do a link.) Jim Davies and Dick Flory both found me information about an officer called Mather.

I think Dick had access to Rolls of Honour of Uppingham School.

Kate

Chris - I have once used a roll of old boys of the school, which contains details of all those who died in WW1, but it covers a much bigger period than just the Great War generation, in terms of those who attended the school. There may be a seperate roll of honour, however.

Chris,

Rutland in the Great War certainly contains a roll, though from memory it is not detailed. Let me have the name and I'll look in the copy in Northampton Central Library on Friday morning.

Chris wrote:

Does anyone know of the existence of a published roll of honour for old boys of Uppingham School?

Chris: I have five different editions of the Uppingham School Register but won't be able to access them until Sunday. Are you looking for some particular names? Regards. Dick Flory

Guest Simon Bull

Chris,

I do not know about a Roll of Honour, but I seem to recall reading that Vera Brittain (whose brother and fiance were at the school) made a financial contribution to help pay for a memorial.

I know this is not exactly what you want, but hope it may be of interest.

Simon Bull

• 2 years later...
I do not know about a Roll of Honour, but I seem to recall reading that Vera Brittain (whose brother and fiance were at the school) made a financial contribution to help pay for a memorial.

Vera Brittain's brother (Edward Brittain) made the contribution himself just before he died in 1918, but yes. It has 447 names on. This doesn't really help unless you're planning on going and seeing the memorial, but that's what I know. In all probability, you know it too...

• 9 years later...

Would be very interested in any Uppingham records for Geoffrey Robert Wallace

B Pimlico, 1896 Son of L. A. Lewis Alexander and M. K. Mabel Kate Wallace, of 35, Lennox Gardens, Sloane Sq., London.

1896 16 Apr, Baptism 19 May, Parish St Saviour's, St George's Square, Pimlico
1911 at Uppingham School
LG p.1030 4 Dec 1914
2/7th Battalion, The Worcestershire Regiment.
The undermentioned to be Second Lieutenants : —
Cadet Serjeant Geoffrey Robert Wallace, from the Uppingham School Contingent, Junior Division, Officers Training Corps. Dated 3rd December, 1914.
Captain MC & BAR Killed in action 27/08/17 age: 21 Mentioned in Despatches Panel 75 to 77 TYNE COT MEMORIAL
Of 20 Buckingham Gate

The Uppingham School Roll 1824 to 1931 does not give any information beyond what you have in your post above. Regards, Dick Flory

The pre-publication citation to his MC (LG May 1917) shown on p90/162 of the WO 389/3 from the NA download reads:

"2nd Lt. (actg. Capt.) Geoffrey Robert Wallace, M.C., 1 7th Bn. Worc. R., T.F.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He led his company in a most gallant manner and succeeded in reaching his final objective. Later, he took over the whole battalion line and reorganised the defence of the captured position.

(M.C. gazetted January 26. 1917.)"

It is annotated for his action at "Epehy 1.4.17".

His MC card shows a gazetted date for his first award as being 26.1.17, and the bar as 25.5.17. It indicates that he was decorated with both awards on 2.6.17

I haven't found the pre-publication citation of his other award yet, which I presume must pre-date January 1917.

Regards

Chris

Many thanks Chris and Dick.

From p42/162 of WO 389/3, the citation for his original MC reads:

"2nd Lt. (temp. Lt.) Geoffrey Robert Wallace, 1/7th Bn., Worc. R., T.F.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He commanded a fighting patrol, with which he successfully raided an enemy trench, killing several of the enemy, and then withdrawing with slight casualties.".

It is annotated for events/actions "Near the Butte De Warlencourt 3.12.16".

Regards

Chris

EDIT:

There is a two page typed report contained in the Brigade diary. Both it, and the Battalion diary have the patrol/raid written up as starting at 4 am on the 4th December.

Marvellous: a brave man:

post-50-0-13527900-1441804443_thumb.jpg