Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I cannot find this Soldier Help

RaySearching

I came across the following headstone and as it contained a soldier D O W Gallipoli

I added it to Bob Pikes ( Gallipoli brothers Brothers killed at least 1 on Gallipoli ),Thread

5428090195_2e1f1778ef.jpg

Transcript of the Stone

IN LOVING MEMORY OF

SONS OF CHARLES + ANNIE WHITFIELD

WHO ANSWERED THE GREAT CALL 1914-1918

DRIVER CHARLES WHITFIELD R F A

GALLIPOLI MESOPOTANIA

DIED AT ?????? INDIA OCT 25 1918 AGED 25 YEARS

ALSO Pt JOHN WM WHITFIELD 6TH YORKS

DIED OCT 14th 1919 AGED 21 YEARS

ALSO CHARLES FATHER OF THE ABOVE

BELOVED HUSBAND OF ANNIE WHITFIELD

LOST AT SEA SEPT 13 1922 AGED 58 YEARS

Confirmation of identity 1911 census

5445419577_234e85816d.jpg

No problem with Charles

Driver C WHITFIELD

33859, 69th Bty., Royal Field Artillery

who died on 25 October 1918

KIRKEE 1914-1918 MEMORIAL

Try as I may I cannot Find any John William Whitfied on Cwgc or Swgw to match up with the above details on the Memorial

Both name,s are on Middlesbrough War Memorial

I cannot find a J W Witfield on Free BMD or Ancestery who died in 1919 but ironicaly there is one on the Tees valley indexes who died in 1919 who may be him

I have also found a medal card for a J W Whitfield , Who ,I dont seem to be able to find either It matches and states Died it could be him or it may not

I dont even Know at this point in time if John William Whitfield was a Serving soldier when he died the memorial indicates he was

Here is the MIC

5446005696_8c01e79dd6.jpg

who,s Medal card is it ?

could this be a non Commemoration

any assistance appreciated

Regards Ray

Is this your man?

J Whitfield

" Whitfield, JohnWilliam.

John Whitfield was Sunderland born, lived in South Bank and enlisted in

Middlesbrough to serve with the 6th battalion of the East Yorkshire Regiment.

With the battalion involved in the Operations on the Ancre, Private Whitfield died on

January 23rd 1917 and today lies in Varennes Military Cemetery situated south west

of Acheux on the Somme. "

From HERE

Mike

Hi Mike

I did Have a look at that one

Nothing seems to match

1911 census says Birth Middlesbrough

whilst in the 6th Bn East Yorks Not Yorks (green Howards ) ?

different date of death

and you would have thought the family would have known when he died

Thanks for the reply Ray

Ray,

There is a John W Whitfield's death registered in 1919 in Middlesborough aged 21 in the GRO

Middlesbro / 9D / 649 / 4 qt / 1919

Grant

If the lad died in '17, he'd only have been 18 years old and, while it's possible, it's not likely, especially given the other discrepancies. If he died in October 1919, it's also unlikely, tho' not impossible, that he would be listed by CWGC or SDGW. An MIC would only exist if the lad served overseas. Born in 1899, he'd only have been 15 when the War broke out but could have enlisted legally before it was over. The MIC posted is a possibility. Antony

Ray,

There is a John W Whitfield's death registered in 1919 in Middlesborough aged 21 in the GRO

Middlesbro / 9D / 649 / 4 qt / 1919

Grant

Thanks Grant

I now believe the above is John William Whitfield,s Death Registration

it matches with the headstone

I have been doing a bit of digging on genealogy sites and I have Come up with the following

John William Whitfield was born in Middlesbrough He can be found residing with his parents on the 1901 census aged 2 at 69 Pelham Street Middlesbrough

His Parents as Memorial (Father) Charles a Ships Steward vessel "Nicolas" Fate presumed Drowned in 1922 (mother ) Annie Whitfield nee Langley

His brother Charles on the memorial died at Deolali near Bombay India

I now believe this is the grave of John William Whitfield

as the headstone has only a commemoration on it for his father and brother

there is no indication on the stone of anybody else interned in the grave

so logic tells me this is the final resting place of John William Whitfield

so it appears that John William Died at home

his death may or may not be attributed to his war service as there is no Cwgc Commemoration

and also between 1918-1919 this was the peak of the spanish influenza pandemic another possible cause of his death

I may consider obtaining his Death Cirtificate to see if he is a non Com

Regards Ray

Ray

Well worth getting the death cert in this case to see what's what. Feel free to consult with us at the In From the Cold Project when you've got it. As I think you know, if it looks like a runner we are able to refund the certificate cost to you.

John

Ray

Well worth getting the death cert in this case to see what's what. Feel free to consult with us at the In From the Cold Project when you've got it. As I think you know, if it looks like a runner we are able to refund the certificate cost to you.

John

Hi John

I am going to have a look in the in the local reference library when time permits ,to check out the the local paper around the Time he died

before purchasing the death Cert

Regards Ray

Ray,

In TNA there is a seamans record for a Charles Arthur WHITFIELD, born Middlesborough - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7125326&queryType=1&resultcount=9

I cant see in the census or the BDM's that your chaps father has Arthur as a middle name, but there is a Charles WHITFIELD in 1881 listed as an Engineers Steward (which sounds like a Navy title) aged 16.

Grant