Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.A.F. marked bayonet markings?

Garandy

Can anyone help me identify the markings on this P'07 bayonet?

Its made in Dec. 1915, overhauled in 1922, manufactured by JAC [Chapman], has the UK government /I\, and X bending proof.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the R.A.F. I.C. 8080 unit was?

NewEFDS050.jpg?t=1291251709

NewEFDS058.jpg?t=1291252250

NewEFDS051.jpg?t=1291252300

Would the RAF had units protecting aircraft? Is I.C. an RAF marking?

Thanks, Andy

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Your bayonet looks to be a refinished dress/parade bayonet that was issued to the Royal Air Force, probably during the inter-war period.

Here is a similar one with nearly the exact same markings - but I think yours is more neatly stamped - very fancy indeed.! See thread HERE for comparison.

Cheers, S>S

Thankyou S/S..

I am hoping its not dress/parade, unless for guarding Spitfires, and Hurricanes! I think all were bright? Its original JAC applied finish was removed..

Andy

Yeah, I don't know too much about the chromed/plated dress/parade bayonets, so can't really help unfortunately. I just know they aint in original finish so I tend not to bother with them - far too shiny for my liking.!!

I've got this one shown below made by the same maker around the same time, both manufactured by J.A.Chapman (don't ask me why they used different stamps, maybe from different factories, I'm not sure) The original finish on these at the time was a lightly sandblasted blade with the bluing on the ricasso. This example has been well polished over time in service, but you can still just make out the line of bluing at the end of the fuller, and the slightly dulled blade from the sandblasting.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-069792800 1291286834.jpg

This isnt chrome plated...its my camera

Well the pommel, crossguard, locking pin, grip screws and nuts - as well as the ricasso - would have all originally been blued from the factory.

Like I said before, I'm not sure how they do the refinish on those, maybe its just been heavily buffed back to the bare metal, but its certainly different from its original configuration.

Cheers, S>S