Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HELP IDENTYFYING RAF BAYONET AND HELMET.

pioneer

I have these two items in my collection and know nothing about them, would anyone be kind enough to have a look for me please.

The bayonet is marked RAF at the top of the handle and also has what appears to be, I? D 3021, it also has RAF stamped on the top of the scabbard and RE at the bottom??

The pith helmet had Hobson and Son's marked on the inner leather band, does anyone know by the style what period this would have been worn please??

Kind regards

Pioneer

post-47469-001919300 1289296331.jpg

post-47469-036650600 1289296341.jpg

post-47469-019912400 1289296425.jpg

The bayonet looks to be a standard British P1907 that is marked for service with the RAF (as in Air Force). The other numbers etc would be 1D (group or unit) and 3021 for weapon/rifle number. The scabbard would have been either fully or partially made by Remington in the US, which is denoted by the letters RE stamped into the chape. The bayonet would have been attached for use on the SMLE .303 rifle.

Cheers, S>S

The bayonet looks to be a standard British P1907 that is marked for service with the RAF (as in Air Force). The other numbers etc would be 1D (group or unit) and 3021 for weapon/rifle number. The scabbard would have been either fully or partially made by Remington in the US, which is denoted by the letters RE stamped into the chape. The bayonet would have been attached for use on the SMLE .303 rifle.

Cheers, S>S

Many thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal Air Force is the world's oldest independent air force: that is, the first air force to become independent of army or navy control. It was founded on 1 April 1918, during the First World War, by the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service. Bayonet is a P1907 unit marked RAF the other numbers are the weapon identification numbers.

Ed