Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stretcher Bearer equipment

RobL

I'm looking for information on what a stretcher bearer would have worn and carried - aside from insignia from the Regiment he came from, and maybe a waist belt as well as whatever gas mask for the period etc, would there be any insignia or other equipment? I've seen various reproduction armbands for sale, both the white armband with the red cross, and a white armband with SB in red letters - are both appropriate for Stretcher Bearers? I presume just one would be worn.

Also, although stretcher bearers weren't medical orderlies, would they carry any medical equipment, even if just a sidepack with a number of field dressings?

Cheers, Rob

Rob,

Most seem to have had very little. Probably the weight of the stretcher and casualty would encourage minimalist thinking. Go with the SB armlet, waistbelt, water bottle, gas mask, shrapnel helmet. The red cross armlet was I think intended for MOs RAMC rather than Regtl. bearers.

I have a couple of stretcher slings, although these were supposed to be strapped around the stretcher, I have seen pictures of them worn bandolier style by bearers. I have a red/brown canvas example dated 1913 and an all web 1917 dated example (something like the WW2 version) I am in sunny Cumbria at the mo but can post some pics when I get back home tomorrow night.

PS did you get some green felt at COAM. Couldn't attend I'm afraid, too many gigs!

Tocemma

I'm looking for information on what a stretcher bearer would have worn and carried - aside from insignia from the Regiment he came from, and maybe a waist belt as well as whatever gas mask for the period etc, would there be any insignia or other equipment? I've seen various reproduction armbands for sale, both the white armband with the red cross, and a white armband with SB in red letters - are both appropriate for Stretcher Bearers? I presume just one would be worn.

Also, although stretcher bearers weren't medical orderlies, would they carry any medical equipment, even if just a sidepack with a number of field dressings?

Cheers, Rob

Stretcher Bearers come in two varieties-- They may be actually assigned to a medical unit, or they may be from a line unit. If from a medical unit and serving full-time as a SB, they may wear the red cross armband, but if only temporarily carrying out that duty while assigned to a line unit, they are not authorised the red cross according to the Geneva Conventions. Thus, the latter could wear the SB armband. Doc

Rob,

If you are after the usual reenactment 'all the bells, whistles and Sink, Kitchen, Drab, GS' then why not follow these Civil Service Rifles bearers. Full rifle equipment including valise. Note the rear bearers belt order used as a pillow by the 'casualty' and the 'casualties' own kit propping up his knees in text-book fashion. Bit of a theoretical vision this one.

More to follow.

Tocemma

post-7141-1270156111.jpg

Hi Rob,

Stick with Paul's original suggestion: SB armlet, water bottle, gas mask, shrapnel helmet (sometimes a medical haversack) but don't bother with the waistbelt. Most pictures of them carrying loaded stretchers show them without one as it makes it harder to bend down and serves no useful purpose in action. The web Stretcher Slings are still pretty easy to find as they were still made well into the 1990s.

Out of the line many have a standard set-up without ammo pouches and bayonets, often with the web or leather braces looped back on themselves.

You can always find photos of them encumbered with all kinds of kit but common sense will usually tell you what they thought was actually necessary.

Regimental Stretcher Bearers had the job of recovering men from the battlefield and taking them back to the Regimental Aid Post. RAMC Bearers took them back from there.

Here is an original SB armband. They were off white/very light khaki.

Cheers,

Taff

post-1565-1270301684.jpg

Thanks chaps, much appreciated - i'll keep it relatively simple with the armband, shrapnel helmet and gas mask, will try and pick up some slings as well.

Tocemma, unfortunately didn't get any green felt, as everyone thought you were bringing some, although on the plus side managed to get a hat that fits

Cheers, Rob

Oh how I search for a SB armlet. Does anyone have info on the red cross armlet one often sees RAMC men wearing.

TT

If you don't mind a reproduction, a friend of mine sells them - only problem is, I haven't heard from him for about 6 months!

"Does anyone have info on the red cross armlet one often sees RAMC men wearing"

TT,

The standard Red Cross brassards are quite common as the design didn't change for many years. We still use real ones for our hire kit as we have always found them cheaper than making copies.

The usually have a circular "Army Medical Service" stamp on them but there are all kinds of fixings from buttons through pop-studs and some with no fixings at all.

This particular one was issued to a VAD in 1914 but the basic design is the same.

post-1565-1270335140.jpg

Thanks both. Will have to search for a red cross armlet for my RAMC tunic and continue to hunt forthe elusive and original SB.

TT

Stretcher slings.

1913 dated, coarse red brown canvas and lined with slightly better quality canvas. Date seems to 7 over 1913 stamped on the inner face. Odd but stretcher slings (and certain other odd items of kit seem to be dated this way ie as a 'fraction')

post-7141-1270576218.jpg

the date marking

post-7141-1270576277.jpg

Hi Toc,

I have one almost identical to the sling you have posted which I'll try and dig out to compare the date, are you sure its 1913 and not 1915 ... looks like a 5 to me. When a small batch of these came onto the market about 20 years ago I remember the red/brown canvas ones being all 1915 dates, some dates clearer than others, a few 1916 I think and a few webbing ones 1918 dated. I haven't seen one of these for ages, amazing how the market sucks these up so quickly.

rgs Krithia

And the web version

Note the use if the 'fraction' type date ,marking. Here IV over 1917.

post-7141-1270576930.jpg

post-7141-1270577007.jpg

post-7141-1270577034.jpg

Regards

Tocemma

Hello Krithia,

Could be, difficult to be sure really. On reflection it is probably marked the same way as the web version ie I over 1913 or 15.

Tocemma

Here's my SB. Melbourne maker cartouche to the reverse, 1916 dated.

SBbrassard1-Copy.jpg

Normally, I wouldn't bother with Aussie stuff, but - as TT alludes - in the realm of the SB brassard, beggars can't necessarily be choosers.

And to be thorough:

SBbadge1.jpg

They were off white/very light khaki.

That's interesting Taff. The GRO - as put forward by Joe and/ or Grumpy - has them down as white. Do we think that that's the theory, and the 'off white' is how they came out in reality?

Cheers,

GT.

I haven't seen one of these for ages, amazing how the market sucks these up so quickly.

Agree. Mine's a '17 canvas. Once ten-a-penny, but not seen at all for a good while now.

Bit like the 03 greatcoat carrier - it felt like dealers couldn't give them away a few years ago: now they're all describing them as 'ultra-rare' and as 'one of the hardest bits of 1903 ptn to find', and pricing them accordingly...

Best wishes,

GT.

Indeed. A very different market place now. I remember a chap with a stall at the top of the Portobello Road market with a tea chest full of 14 pattern helve holders, the Home Guard cache of rifle wire cutters that turned up, progressively rustier towards the bottom of the boxes. Not to mention the 1938 dated steel helmets I bought in quantity, in mint condition, with WW1 liners fitted. Yes, I didn't get that one either!

Those were the days....

Tocemma

Re the SB armlet, I think I'd describe them as a delicate shade of beige!

GT I think that TF pattern SB badge might be a version for the Full Dress uniform. I have an alternative version I'll dig out and post.

Tocemma

That is interesting. Grumpy only records one type - the 'red white and blue' - in his book, although slightly confusingly, alludes to khaki in the illustration annotation. I've never seen a drab one before. Just goes to show...

Again interestingly, he says the last mention in the VFR was in 1901 but was worn for a "few years" after. I think we'd all agree that it was worn a lot longer than a "few" years after that. He doesn't refer to the TF in this context.

It'd be good to hear from him on the drab vs. tricoloured versions.

Cheers,

GT.

post-1114-1270592420.jpg

Another slight variation of the khaki SB (excuse the poor quality photo) which is still attached to a belt, blazoned with other cloth insignia...

That is interesting. Grumpy only records one type - the 'red white and blue' - in his book, and I've never seen a drab one before. Just goes to show...

Yep ... Grumpy makes mistakes in his books as well, fancy not mentioning the khaki version ! :whistle:

Yep ... Grumpy makes mistakes in his books as well, fancy not mentioning the khaki version ! :whistle:

Touché. I've just edited my post - the annotation to the illustration in his does allude to khaki, but only the tricolour in the body copy.

I think we need him to pop by now...

Cheers,

GT.