Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial for sale

tightrock

I agree that selling it guarantees that it will be looked after. I am sure that this Forum could find out the identity of the "depot" it came from and maybe find it a home with a modern day organisation associated with the old one.

It is a nice item in a pleasantly naive style. I suppose it will make £100 plus - but what does money matter. I would certainly subscribe towards buying it if a Forum member in the Wrexham area could pick it up. We could then attempt to re-home it. Anyone else interested?

I will subscribe, too. Please advise. Antony

I came accross a memorial at a local sale (see link).

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Yorkshire/Ca...SchoolBoer.html

The seller, a local builder, had pulled the brass plate out of a skip and only just stopped it from going for weighing in as scrap.

Having a bit of a root around in the area the memorial came from and getting no interest from anyone, I decided to sell it to finance my collection.

The fact that the school had been demolished, the obvious disinterest shown, I thought it would find a good home. It did and here is the proof. The gentlemen involved in buying it pt the details on the net for everyone to see.

Better these items go to a good home like this, than languishing in an attic or cellar, awaiting thde trip to the tip.

The memorial survived, the builder made money, I financed a nice few medals for my collection, the memorial is out there for everyone to see and the buyer has a nice original Boer War item for his considerable collection.

It did ***** my conscience, however.

Dick

Dear All

Ignore previous post (which I will delete)

The two identifiable from the cwgc by virtue of two initials are Regan (Birkenhead) and Gregory (wigan). In addition using Geoff's search engiine and using wigan as a limiter in the search field there are four other possibilities with wigan in the further info field, Brown, henshaw, talbot and Green. This is not conclusive obviously but I think this is pointing Wigan way as per a post earlier on in the thread.

Time left: 4 days 15hours

Current bid: £97.03

This is most certainly going to a collector who will cherish it (either that or a descendant of one of those named)

Andy

If anyone wants to subscribe for this item (and are successful in bidding), I'm not far from Wrexham so could arrange to collect from seller if desired.

LST_164

All very honourable; but please be aware that Whoever is bidding on this {@ £100 +} obviously wants it & will treat it with the respect due,a bidding war to "save it" {from what??} will only have a detrimental effect...

:poppy: I have no connection with Vendor Or Bidders of this lot...

I am also a member of the War Memorials Trust and "own" a memorial so have a foot in both camps so to speak but I have to agree with Harry.

Anyone who is going to pay in excess of £100 for a comercialy produced memorial such as this (which normally sell for less) is either a serious collector or a relative & we don't know which. Either way it will be cherished.

A bidding war will only serve no one; other than the seller.

Andy

This item was at £150 early this morning and the price indicates that one or more people are very keen on obtaining it - I accept that this could well be family members so inflaming a bidding war would be counter-productive - as well as expensive.

Personally, I think such items should be on public display if possible but it would seem likely that it is going to a good home.

I am certain that this was in the Yorkshire and Lancashire Loco sheds in Wigan.

There are about 6 of these men with definate Wigan connections, most notably

Regan who was killed by a Turkish sniper on the 28th May 1915 was employed as a Railwayman.

Sgt Talbot killed in the great charge on the 4th June 1915 in Gallipoli, was employed also as a Railwayman in the said sheds.

Nick

Just seen this on ebay,(see link below) i think its terrible someone is trying to make money out of this, should be in a museum or put back from where it came, if it still exists of course, what do other members think ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW1-MEMORIAL-DEATH-P...=item1e59643416

Preservation is the name of the game, better it be sold on than dumped or destroyed, as it may have come from an old or demolished building. There are plenty of dealers in war memorabilia, always have been, and alway will, and they have been a great benefit to the preservation of historical data.

Just a thought, how is buying and selling a memorial any different from buying and selling medals?

Guest KevinEndon

I can't see any difference between buying a memorial and collecting medals. Memorial and medal collectors are preserving history, far better in a collection than a scrap heap.

Kevin

Just a thought, how is buying and selling a memorial any different from buying and selling medals?

My wife would tell you there's a huge difference. I manage to smuggle the odd medal into the house, but if another memorial comes in, she says I'm out!

:lol:

well at least i know who has out bid me now!

matt

I can't see any difference between buying a memorial and collecting medals. Memorial and medal collectors are preserving history, far better in a collection than a scrap heap.

That being the case why is there much hand wringing whenever a memorial turns up for sale?

Kevin

Well done Kevin. If you win the auction, I will happily make a contribution. I would be able to see it at the National Arboretum.

Kev said that if you were to contribute £200 he will pay the rest :D

Regards

Doug II

Should I win it (highest bidder at present) it will go to Alrewas and displayed where everyone can see it for free.

Kevin

well done Kevin hope you win

regards john

Kevin,

many thanks for the kind offer, it realy was very thoughtfull. However as you can see the item has gone. I have had a message form e bay as it apparantly breached the e bay policies. Are you going to contact the seller? I am happy tp know it was going to a good home, and would still lke to know it is...

matt

A bit strange that Ebay should take this attitude whilst continuing to sell large numbers of death plaques, memorial cards etc. perhaps they draw a distinction when there are multiple names. Perhaps we should check with the seller to ensure that the memorial is well treated.

eBay will always cancel the listing once someone complains.

I have had an auction for a photo of Adolf Hitler removed twice - because someone complained - search for Hitler and there are loads of others avialable that they have not removed.

I cannot understand how selling this memorial would breach their rules?

it is a thought that the fact it was on here was counter productive. Ie someone on the forum MAY have contacted e bay regarding it. The result its been withdrawn, we don't know where its gone, there was a good possability it was going to a good home (either mine or Kevin's for example), but now? It may never see the light of day....now that would be a shame

i do hope i'm wrong of course

matt