Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Riding Instructor (Rough Rider) Trade Badge

Arfer

I am trying to find out what would be the correct riding instructors (rough rider) trade badge worn on a Service Dress jacket.

I know that the full dress badges was the gold worsted curved spur badge. riding_instructor_badge.jpg

I used to wear one when I was in the King's Troop. That badge hadn't changed.

However, we wore the straighter metal spur badge on our No.2 Dress jackets. drivers_badge.jpg

These badges, as far as I can tell, were the Driver's trade badge in WW1.

Was the curved spur badge, worsted in khaki, worn on WW1 Service Dress jackets by Riding Instructors ? Or was it the plain Driver's badge ?

Has anyone got any ideas ?

Phil.

Where to start?

It is more correctly a 'badge of appointment', far superior to vulgar 'trade'!

The design for SD was drab worsted until 1906/7, when changed to gilding metal, unfortunately I do not have the sealed pattern but both versions were made over a long period.

PVCN 1911 says GM also. 1914 Clothing Regs. are not specific.

I have no Great War photos 'in wear' sufficiently good to be definitive

Incidentally a 'rough' was an unbacked horse, and the roughrider job including breaking in and training the horse.

And my daughter is a senior equitation instructor for the Metropolitan Police.

The Driver's badge was only awarded for high skill and was either crossed whips and spur, or [top grade] crown crossed whips and spur. Most drivers had no badge at all.

Grovetown: superb example! Many thanks.

I have done some more digging ...... after the move from drab worsted to GM in 1906/7, the RACD ledger gives no change back to worsted before end of Great War.

However, a drab worsted [perhaps as your example] was instituted for KD c. 1906.

Also, the thrust of the 1914 CR was definitely to an almost all drab worsted SD badgery .... very few exceptions, such as GM crown, Scout badges, and Band badges.

The jury is out as to whether GM and worsted co-existed .... I am sure that they did, with worsted in a big majority.

I believe this is the worsted version.

post-599-1227616663.jpg

Herewith a worsted example on a 1915 dated service dress. Note also the sewn-on application of the slip-on shoulder title.

Best wishes,

GT.

Thanks for the photo.

Would it be possible to get a closer picture of the spur ? It seems to be a worsted version of the full dress gold badge and is different to the badge posted by Frogsmile.

Phil

for more on the GM versus worsted story, try thread:

badge and uniform experts please help, 'Trade badges': cloth versus brass project

sorry, cannot do hyperlinks!

David

When creating a post, you will see a row of buttons above the text area - b, i, u etc etc.

Sixth from left is a kind of green swoosh with a green + at the end.

Click this - it throws up another little window, into which you type/ paste the address of the site/ page/ post etc you want to link to.

In this case, the address of the thread page is http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=111166

When you've pasted this in, click OK. It then allows you to name it - eg Said Thread.

That's the tidy way. But as you can see from this post, just pasting in the address header from the page works too.

Best wishes,

GT.