Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Talbot House

Katie Elizabeth Stewart

My great-grandfather was a Christian throughout his life. He survived the First World War, and it did not shake his faith. One of the relics we have left is the Bible he carried with him to Passchendaele. Inside are his weekly readings - he must have absolutely trusted in God to bring him through the war.

A member of this Forum mentioned a place to me, a place near Ypres called Talbot House. From what they said, I gathered it was a place of comradeship and quiet contemplation, shared by soldiers in rest who wanted an alternative to the more bawdy forms of entertainment. Please, if anybody can tell me any more about it, like how and why it was founded, if records were kept of those who went there, or perhaps someone else knows a relative of theirs who visited in the war; maybe even a bit of information on when different Battalions visited it?

My great-grandfather served 1916-1918, and I know his tastes were not bawdy.

Thank you,

Katie

Hi Katie,

I believe you are referring to the Talbot House that was opened in 1915 in Poperinge.

I took this from a website:

"In 1915 two army chaplains – Rev. P.S.B. 'Tubby' Clayton and Rev. Neville Talbot - acquired an old Belgian town house in Poperinghe, and converted it for their own use as a veritable ‘oasis’ out of the line for troops going to and from the trenches. They named it ‘Talbot House’ after Neville’s brother and Clayton’s friend, Lieutenant Gilbert Talbot of the Rifle Brigade who was killed at Hooge in July 1915. Inside the house they had a library, a cinema in the cellar, a concert hall, a tea room and in the Hop Loft a large chapel where religious services were held on a regular basis. By the main entrance Rev. Clayton, who stayed at the house for the whole war, placed a sign:

"All rank abandon ye who enter here"

During the war thousands of British troops knew Talbot House, but in 1919 its former owner claimed it back until the house was bought for the Toc H organisation, started here by ‘Tubby’ Clayton in 1915. Toc H is army signalling phonetic for the initials T.H. = Talbot House."

It may interest you to know that Talbot House is still open to this day!

Talbot House Website

Lynz :lol:

A good introduction to Talbot House and its History can be found in 'A Haven in Hell' by Paul Chapman, published in paperback by Pen and Sword Limited.

Thank you. So my great-grandfather may have found 'a haven in hell.' I hope I will someday get to visit.

Well worth a visit; many travellers make it their final stop on a trip to the Ypres salient.

Stephen

Isnt that the one visited by Harry Patch in the Last Tommy? If so, your g-grandfather was in good company Katie.

Keith

I was there just over a week ago, it still is a quite haven, its cups of tea still nectar, the attic chapel a place of reflection, and the theatre despite being completely renovated still had for me a very moving atmosphere, where thousands of men briefly forgot their trials and tribulations, and laughed and sang along with the concert party

Here is the man whose vision made it all possible, the Rev Tubby Clayton.

Gareth

post-890-1185220239.jpg

I'll have to find some way of discovering if he was there or not.

You may like to get hold of a copy of Clayton of Toc H by Tresham Lever published by John Murray 1971 via interlibrary loan. The book gives the life story of Tubby Clayton with many references to the men he met at Talbot House a few are mentioned by name. Katie Elizabeth what was your grandfathers name - I am happy to look it up in the index a long shot but worth a try. I seem to remember that in the house itself there are lists of men confirmed there - again a long shot. Incidentally my Avatar is Tubby in his old age and my fridge has a magnet with one of his sayings "Be sensible - do it my way" What sound thinking.

Hello Katie and a belated welcome to you.

I visited a few years ago and you will not regret going. It is very atmospheric and you can imagine it as the haven.

If you do visit, make sure you get to see the Happy Hoppers concert party (film upstairs). It still brings a tear to my eye when I remember the film of the soldiers sitting watching the concert party (for some the last one they would witness) before going back up the line.

Absolutely smashing place to go. All very peaceful.

Susan.

There is a 'Friends of Talbot House' or some such which allows one to support the House and which grants privileged access and a newsletter. I don't think one can be a complete GWF nerd without visiting Talbot House. My wife and I go most years.

mailto:

friends@talbothouse.be

New from the Toc H.

Every Wednesday in August 2007 at 5pm:

Indepth tour in Talbot House

For a number of years, we have been organising all kinds of events for Dutch speaking tourists in the summer season. This year, we are ready for a number of English spoken indepth tours in Talbot House. These are open to individual visitors, with a maximum of 18 people per tour. The guide explains and reads out authentic documents in various rooms of the House, the Garden and the old Concert Hall. A glass of Malaga - very popular amongst soldiers in 1917 - (or a cup of tea) finishes this exclusive visit.

Prebooking is recommended, but you can turn up at the moment itself as well.

Entrance is €10 per person.

Residents in Talbot House come in free.

Are you in the area in the coming month of August?

Or do you know anybody who will be?

Please spread the word.

We look forward to welcoming you.

Very best wishes

Annelies Vermeulen

www.talbothouse.be

If you ever have the chance to visit.....GO!

It is a wonderful place, especially if you have spent part of the day visiting cemeteries.

A true haven of peace. The atmosphere still pervades the building.

The stairs up to the chapel in the attic are very steep, but it is worth the effort.

Personally, I always go and sit on the bench right at the back of the garden. There is no road noise, just peace and tranquility, and I have yet to find anywhere on the Western Front where I feel closer to "them"

A truly magical spot, and a "must" on any visit.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to re-open a long-dead topic, but can anyone tell me what ranks Talbot House was for?

Not today!!!! In the First World War!!! :lol:

Yes, then as well.

'Skindles', just along the road, was the officer's haunt if they wanted more creature comforts, whilst more personal services were reputed to be available at la Poupee a couple of blocks away!

'More personal services' meaning precisely the sort they wished to avoid in Talbot House, I suppose! So could a Captain and a 2nd Lieutenant have a little rendezvous in Talbot House if they wanted? For reasons of my own *taps nose and winks* I am interested in the sort of things that went on in there.

Talbot House was essentially for OR's and as Grumpy said Skindles was for officers. Though Skindles was started sometime after Talbot House. Officers could stay in the rooms at Talbot House for the price of hiring a clean sheet - the money went to providing comforts for the men. Talbot House was very much a place of Christian welcome where men could chat, have tea, write letters and read. The chapel in the loft was used for several regular daily services, Talbot House gave rise to TocH which still survives today and indeed still runs Talbot House.

I take issue with 'essentially'. The ethos was definitely all ranks, as to whether it was 'the done thing' for an officer to visit or stay, many did. There were many practising, even devout, Christian officers in those days.

Katie,

Although you ask about Toc H in the 1st World War the following may help you to understand the ethos behind the organization.

As a 19 year old Civil Servant I was transferred from Aberdeen to Manchester and spent the first year residing in the Toc H Hostel in Victoria Park-sadly now closed.

It looked after Men from all social backgrounds and from many different Countries, for example one of my best friends was from Tristan Da Cuna(probably spelt that wrong,but it was a long time ago :lol: ).The Motto about "Abandoning Rank" was at the Front Door and was immediately seen by all.

It was a place that you could call Home but was not Religious.We were,however,expected to help in the running of the Hostel e.g.doing the Washing up and cooking for ourselves at Weekends.I still wonder where Gwen the Cook bought her sausages as they shriveled to nothing on frying :D

Many Patrons had left Houses to the Organization and I spent Weekends in Ambleside and Cromford,Derbyshire which gave me a great introduction to the Countryside of the North-West of England.

I also tasted my best ever Curry which was cooked by Kenyans who were studying at Manchester University.

George

Yes Grumpy you are right (as ever) my choice of words was probably incorrect. Indeed there were many Christian officers and on the list of those confirmed in the chapel shows. What I think I was trying to say was the Tubby Clayton wanted to make sure that OR's would feel comfortable in Tabot House and the distinctions between classes that existed at that time sometimes made it extremely difficult for classes to mix freely. Whatever he did OR's certainly did feel comfortable there and I remember reading somewhere that Tubby was relieved when Skindles opened that there was somewhere for the officers to go nearby as well as Talbot House.