Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War In Africa

Martyn Gibson

Hi Pals,

Whilst compiling my database I have come across a couple of soldiers from the 3rd Monmouthshire Regiment that served in Africa. One with 'Royal West African Frontier Force' Gold Coast Regiment and another with '3/4 Kings African Rifles'.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good book/website/guru on what they were doing there, what action they may have taken part in etc.

It is not an area that I have even considered looking into until I came across these two soldiers and now I would like to broaden my knowledge and hopefully add to my database with a little bit of information about what these two soldiers died doing.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Martyn

Hi Pals,

Whilst compiling my database I have come across a couple of soldiers from the 3rd Monmouthshire Regiment that served in Africa. One with 'Royal West African Frontier Force' Gold Coast Regiment and another with '3/4 Kings African Rifles'.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good book/website/guru on what they were doing there, what action they may have taken part in etc.

It is not an area that I have even considered looking into until I came across these two soldiers and now I would like to broaden my knowledge and hopefully add to my database with a little bit of information about what these two soldiers died doing.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Martyn

Plenty of info if you Goolgle.

http://www.mgtrust.org/gea.htm

The KAR and GCR were part of the force in german East Africa after the campaign in the Cameroons initially as part of Hoskins first division.

By the end of 1916 these troops along with the Baluchis from India formed the mainstay of the infantry force in GEA particularly south of the Central Railway and beyond the Rufigi.

The best account of the KAR is given in the Official History - East Africa Operations (Horden) which in itself is a precis of a longer account by ??)

All of the mentioned regiments were officered by British.

The KAR had particular success at the action of the Likiguri River and were awarded battle honours for their efforts.

Roop

Guys,

Thank you very much for the info.

Martyn

Hi Martyn

There are also a number of soldiers from the 2nd Monmouthshires that were also attached to the Kings African Rifles. A number were Sergeants.

Regards

David