Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Bull' Beef - Origin

Rupert

Hi gang. First post on here and what a fine forum it is. I'm Australian (Perth) but have lived in Paris for ten years. It's great having the Western Front as your back yard!

Anyway if this has been posted before - Ya-boo-sucks to me. But if you've never heard this, it is of some interest. It is a bit odd - how 'Corned Beef' became 'Bully'. The 1914 corned beef tins were originally labelled in French. Something about them being tinned and labelled in Marseille.

They were labelled 'Boeuf Bouilli', or, Boiled Beef. Of course, the original BEF couldn't pronounce this (in much the same way the couldn't get their head around 'Ypres') and, you guessed it, became 'Bully Beef'. The rest is history, as they say.

I've a few more anectodes of how French entered English via the Western Front, if I haven't bored you enough already.

Cheers!

Hi, Rupert & welcome! My own interest is Wiltshire, where most of the Australian Army's United Kingdom training took place in WWI.

I don't normally comment on people's names, but since you're into language did you know that "Rupert" is a slang term used by Other Ranks in the British Army for an officer? I don't know how this came to be, unless "Rupert" was regarded as the typical first name of upper-class types who once provided most officers.

May you submit many worthwhile posts and rise through the Forum's ranks to win a commission to justify your name!

A tasty subject!

Check out:

https://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/antarctic.htm

The origin of the name 'Bully Beef' still appears unknown and appears to pre-date World War One.

My grandfather had to live on it with the Mounted Infantry Regiment in the Boer War in South Africa (1899-1902).

He said it tasted so strong that they had to water it down to eat it.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1127429550.jpg

I doubt that the name 'bully' came from the French as the French army has, since time immemorial called it 'singe' - monkey meat.

Yep. Like all of these things there's various theories about how they came about. I didn't know about the 'Rupert' thing, for instance. I know lads from the 44th Batt AIF used to call officers 'Charlies'. Is the expression 'he's a right old Charlie' linked to this? Who knows.

I do know that the English expression 'Toodaloo' is a corruption of the French 'a toute à l'heure'

- both meaning 'I'll see you later'. It's reputed to come from 14-18.

I doubt that the name 'bully' came from the French as the French army has, since time immemorial called it 'singe' - monkey meat.

are you sure about that?

doogal :D

It is so sad... that made me laugh out loud.

I must go out more often.

zoo

Hi gang. First post on here and what a fine forum it is. I'm Australian (Perth) but have lived in Paris for ten years. It's great having the Western Front as your back yard!

Anyway if this has been posted before - Ya-boo-sucks to me. But if you've never heard this, it is of some interest. It is a bit odd - how 'Corned Beef' became 'Bully'. The 1914 corned beef tins were originally labelled in French. Something about them being tinned and labelled in Marseille.

They were labelled 'Boeuf Bouilli', or, Boiled Beef. Of course, the original BEF couldn't pronounce this (in much the same way the couldn't get their head around 'Ypres') and, you guessed it, became 'Bully Beef'. The rest is history, as they say.

I've a few more anectodes of how French entered English via the Western Front, if I haven't bored you enough already.

Cheers!

This derivation may not be true but it ought to be. I shall consider it to be an honorary fact. I think that ruperts were subalterns.