Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a WW1 soldier's mirror?

sandyford

post-2045-1126821679.jpg

This object, was given to me by a family member who was having a clearout. She said that she thought it had something to do with 'the war'.

It looks to me like a mirror, and if so, it may be my father's shaving mirror from WW1.

On the other hand it may just be any old mirror, or not even a mirror.

The 'mirror' seems to be a sheet of metal wrapped round something else.

The metal has corroded in one or two places, although not so badly as it appears on the photograph.

Someone has written the number, with a question mark after it, in marker pen. There do appear to be faint numbers on the leatherette. This number is not my father's number, although the person who had it would not have known my fathers number.

Kate

This type of mirror is fairly common in soldiers kits. Not issue but something they would carry.

... and not only in WW1 either. I know it was used in the Boer War and as late as Korea (probably beyond).

dave.

Thanks Joe & Dave.

Only one of the numbers which were originally marked on the wallet is slightly discernible and it is scratched rather than stamped.

That would fit in with them not being official issue and having been scratched on later.

The leather wallet is dimpled leather and I would have imagined that smooth leather would have been more usual.

No soldiers from the 'clearout' house saw active overseas service after WW1. My father was in the ARP in WW2 and my brother was in the Home Guard.

Would there be much call for mirrors in those circumstances?

Kate

Hi Kate,

I think it is very unlikely that your father or brother would use this type of mirror. They were carried for signalling or more practically to shave with. We were carrying them for both reasons in jungle exercises in the 80's and I am sure they are still being used. The issue ones had a hole in the center to line up on the position you were looking to signal to.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob

The mirror has no hole in the centre, but it has made it seem extra interesting to hear that you used something like this in jungle exercises.

Apart from my father in WW1, noone else in the family has seen active service, so it is still possible that he used it for shaving in WW1.

It is very tantalising to be given a simple piece of equipment like this and because both my father and brother have died, there is noone to confirm its ownership.

Thank you for your help.

Kate

Hi

Only this morning I was looking at a WW1 shaving mirror, so I'm told.

It was wooden and tear/eliptically shaped, round glass in the middle. To open, the two halves slide, almost flush, apart.

Along with them was a pair of red rubber glass gas goggles, a cloth mask with plastic material eye holes, and a wire moulding set up inside the cloth. All in a green pouch with a paper bag with instructions for use printed upon it.

First time I'd seen these items.

LinL

Regarding the signalling mirror, my son picked up an object on the Somme in March which had a sort of silver foil coating but with a hole in the middle. Is this a signals mirror?

Tony