Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st btn Ox and Bucks LI and 1/4 btn

gordon christie

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

any info needed/lookups, give me a shout.

G

hello gordon,

the following are all 1st. battalion,the first two i add cemetary locations,the last i only have the country.

Richard Gibson cpl.6920 kia 22/7/17 Baghdad

Joseph White cpl.9932 kia 7/4/16 Amara

Cyril Belcham L/cpl. 8032 kia 10/9/18 Italy

Thankyou, Nick

Richard Gibson:

Born:Knocknott, Kent

Enlisted: Oxford

Resided: Haddenham, Bucks

The 1954 Regimental Chronicle lists his entitlement to a 1914 Star, but only has him as a Private.

Joseph White:

Born & Resided: Haddenham, Bucks

Enlisted: Aylesbury

Mother: Charlotte Saw of Flint St. Haddenham

Sibling: 1/2 brother, Harold Saw

Cyril Percy Belcham:

Born: Stoughton, Surrey

Enlisted: Chatham

Resided: Worthing

Parents: fred George & Mary Ann, Belcham of woodstock, St George's Rd, Worthing.

I have a different date of death: 3/11/1915 and country: Iraq

He is buried in Basra Cemetery ref: V.F.16

Hope this helps

Lesley

I have no idea how detailed the war diary is? Is it any good for officers?

Is there any mention in the 1/4th Battalion Diary of the following:

1. The Commanding Officer of the 4th from the 1st April 1917 to the 8th May 1919 - T/Lieut Colonel Richard Henry George Wilson?

2. Any mention of Lt. Cecil Frederick Dadley also 4th?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Steve,

Col wilson is not mentioned as being co of the 4th Bn or any other appointment. diary goes to march'18.

It does mention Mr Dadley as serving for one month (OCTOBER- NOVEMBER '16)

He's not listed as killed or wounded so i wonder why his service was so short. transferr ??

Hope this helps some,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Interesting that the Battalion doesnt mention one of its commanding officers? I trust you have an Army List to hand.........in my October 1917 List Wilson is listed under the 4th Battalion (Reserve Territorial). Perhaps he was back in the UK? After those dates he spent time with the 3rd Battalion from 9th May 1919 to 14th June 1919.

I will have to look into Dadley.......clearly something went wrong for him as Ive never heard of an officer only lasting one month in the line unless he was KIA or wounded badly. Unless he found an escape out of the trenches through an influential contact? His papers are at the NA........I will let you know what I uncover.

Many thanks for you help,

Steve.

Steve,

All I have for reference are the two war diaries and the gracious help of members of this forum! Alas Maj Pickford makes no reference to Col Wilson. was he 2/4 btn As for Mr Dadley, maybe it was pencils up the nostrils and "wibble wibble".

Gord.

I am most interested in any entry for the 1st Battalion on 6th April 1916, and any reference to a group of replacements.

I am trying to figure out what happened to Joseph Tedbar Wimpenny, a Private (21439), 1st Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, he was killed in action on Thursday 6th April 1916, in Mesopotamia.

After embarkation leave in October 1915, he left England on the 10th December 1915,

He wrote home saying:

“When we were coming out of the trenches the last time I came across a few fellows from Batley and Dewsbury, and we had a good chat between ourselves in the good old Yorkshire style. It felt fair grand, as I’d never spoken to anyone since Johnny Hebblethwaite left the boat at Malta. Don’t forget to send the Express now and again so that I can see how the old town is going on. We’ll make up for what we’ve lost when the war is over, and not half. So, Au Revoir.”

Now I know that Johnny Hebblethwaite sailed on the Kinsfaun? Castle during December 1915 and that Joseph Tedbar Wimpenny was on that ship with him. And after his death a friend wrote to Joseph’s family from a hospital in India.

It is certain he did not leave England until December, so could he have been inside Kut? Or part of a group of replacements who never got there. I understand the relief force tried to break through on that date, and his mate finished up wounded in India.

Any glimmer of light welcome.

Thanks,

Tony.

Tony,

The 1/1 Obli didn't serve there at his time, they were in France. I can't remember off the top of my head which Btn did. Try asking theTalmers as they know a lot more than I.

Sorry i can't help more than that.

Gordon.

ps.

Tony,

The regular army first btn went east. 1/1 was a terratorial Btn

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Do you have any information on 1/4th Battalion particularly regarding the action in which William Henry Mudge gained his Military Medal which was gazetted on 22/5/1917?

Thanks

John

from the war record of 1/4th:

on 5/4/17 during the attack on Rossoy he was in charge of the last platoon. When the attack showed signs of being held up by hostile machine gun fire he personally led his platoon forward, carrying forward the line that was held up, thus giving the required impetus for the final assault.

He was in B company.

Regards

Lesley

from the war record of 1/4th:

on 5/4/17 during the attack on Rossoy he was in charge of the last platoon. When the attack showed signs of being held up by hostile machine gun fire he personally led his platoon forward, carrying forward the line that was held up, thus giving the required impetus for the final assault.

He was in B company.

Regards

Lesley

Thank you very much for that information, Lesley. We've recently received postcards and photos of him together with his medal ribbon. I've posted some of the pictures in my gallery of Hebeterne and wil be adding the transcriptions soon.

Thanks again.

John

• 7 months later...

Hi

Do you have any mention of Lt H.B.Hinde Somerset LI attd 1st Ox and Bucks killed in action on the 22th of November 1915 and/or any details of the action that day

Here's hoping

Hambo

• 1 month later...

Hi Gordan

I would be grateful for any entries around 21st November 1917. The man I am interested in is Pte Cecil Mace. Not likely to be named in the diaries but he was wounded on this date and I'd be interested in any info.

Cheers

Clare

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon

Would love to see if you have any sign of William Gerald Rakestrow, he was listed as KIA on 03/05/1916.

He was also MiD for the defence of Kut.

Personally, given the date, I would say that he either died of disease, or starvation. Would love to know if he got a mention in the 1st Battalion diary.

Thanks in advance.

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

any info needed/lookups, give me a shout.

G

Hi there

Any chance you can tell me what the 1st Bn were doing 15th August to 25th August 1917. Private Cecil Mace was wounded at some point during this time. Unlikely that Cecil will be mentioned by name but I'd like to know what, if any, action he was involved in.

Thanks

Clare

Hi there

Any chance you can tell me what the 1st Bn were doing 15th August to 25th August 1917. Private Cecil Mace was wounded at some point during this time. Unlikely that Cecil will be mentioned by name but I'd like to know what, if any, action he was involved in.

Thanks

Clare

On the 20th August they started company training in open warfare at Azizieh (About 40 Miles south of Baghdad).

Lyndon.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me where I can get hold of the War Diaries for 1/4 Battalion from March 1915 to August 1917?

I've tried the list on the online documents on the National Archive Website. Lesley helped answer a question about Henry Mudge above and I'm now trying to trace his movements from arriving in France till he arrived at Berrington War Hospital having been shot in neck and shoulder.

Thanks,

John

• 7 months later...

John

I actually have a book on the 1/4th, which is entitled (from memory), Official Diary of the 1/4th........

Also have the Volume 1 (only volume) of the OXBLI, which is a SUPERB history. Expensive, HARD to find, but well worth the investment.

Happy for the odd lookup.

Mick

Evening Mick

Re the 1/4 I'd be interested to hear if the Official Diary you have gives any more details of a fatality on 27 April 1915. All the 'Chronicle' shows is "A man of B Company was killed". It was my grandmother's eldr brother, Matthew Strong.

Regards

Chris