Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flamethrower Attack (8th Rifle Brigade)

stiletto_33853

At 10pm on the 29th July 1915 the 8th Rifle Brigade moved out of Ypres to relieve its sister battalion, the 7th Rifle Brigade, in the trenches at Hooge and by 2am on the 30th the take over had been completed. Dispositions of the incoming battalion were as follows: The left of "C" Company rested on the eastern edge of the crater and it's right on the Menin Road where it joined the 7th KRRC which was also in the front line. At this point a communication trench named "Strand" ran south to the edge of Zouave Wood. No 2 platoon of "A" Company manned the portion of trench which turned south to the second line. The remaining part of the battalions frontage was held by "A" Company's No4 platoon commanded by 2nd Lieut. Sydney Woodroffe. Numbers 1 and 3 platoons of "A" Company held the second line trench south of the ruins of Hooge. A communication trench, "Bond Street", ran from this position to the support trench holding "B" Company on the northern edge of Zouave Wood. "D" Company manned the trenches to the right of "C" Company, also in the wood.
The battalions war record mentions that it was a dark night with the moon in the 3rd quarter. It also notes several disturbing points about the position.
1. Very little defensive wire.
2. The front line trenches were deep and narrow and movement along them was extrememly difficult.
3. Communication to the rear (i.e. Brigade H.Q.) was difficult.
4. Not only was it impossible to hold the lips of the crater but minenwerfer bombs daily blew in parts of the support trenches rendering them unusable, hence there were too many men crammed into the front line.
Futhermore, the usual practice of sending in one company, together with machine guns and bombers, some hours in advance of the main body had not been followed. Thus all ranks of the 8th were total strangers to the ground and the trenches - where in places the opposing front lines were only 15 yards apart.

More to follow.
Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Staggering.

Truly staggering.

Mike

It just goes to show the effect of this attack of fire on the battalion, as Shinglma says "Truly Staggering", I thought it worthy of posting the actual results of this attack.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for posting this.

Not sure whether this interests you:

"Dear Mr. Pitt, I most deeply sympathise with you in the loss of your son. He died as only a gallant soldier and English gentleman, leading a charge against great odds. he was my platoon sergeant since the battalion was formed, and a better sergeant and friend no one could desire. I do truly sympathise with you in your terrible loss. His place will be hard to fill. Yours very truly. Kenneth Gladstone, Lieutenant"

From the Stamford Mercury, Aug 1915.

Leonard Ison Pitt (B/1957, Sgt) was the science master at Stamford Garmmar School (as it then was) before the war and is commemorated in the town.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Many thanks or posting the bit about Leonard Pitt, it is of interest. As you can see I have done a little bit of research into this action and every little bit helps.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jim,

Many thanks or posting the bit about Leonard Pitt, it is of interest. As you can see I have done a little bit of research into this action and every little bit helps.

Andy

Oh my! What a terrible waste!

I find it so hard to believe that there weren't more men going AWOL !

The thoughts of what they had to go through - fills me with horror - but they still kept on going !

What made you start your research Andy?

Annie

Annie,

My research into this action started by managing to obtain, for my collection, one of the officers involved medals. It then became a natural progression finding out as much as possible about the action in particular and how he won those medals, and piecing his military life together. It does become absorbing, as you are finding out with regard to your grandfather.

I am still in awe of what our ancestors had to go through, the hardships they dealt with and the sufferings.

Andy

Annie,

My research into this action started by managing to obtain, for my collection, one of the officers involved medals. It then became a natural progression finding out as much as possible about the action in particular and how he won those medals, and piecing his military life together. It does become absorbing, as you are finding out with regard to your grandfather.

I am still in awe of what our ancestors had to go through, the hardships they dealt with and the sufferings.

Andy

Andy!

Were the 8th battalion the Post Office Rifles? I think I got them mixed up!

Annie

Hi Annie,

The Post Office Rifles were the 8th Battalion of The London Regiment.

Andy

Hi Annie,

The Post Office Rifles were the 8th Battalion of The London Regiment.

Andy

Thanks Andy! I'm trying to concentrate on learning about Rifle regiments -

I probably should just keep to my Regiments !!!

Annie

PS There's some pictures of flamethrowers on this page !

http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Great_War...es/Pozieres.htm

Lieutenant Kenneth Hubert Woodroffe, 3rd Rifle Brigade

(stiletto_33853 @ Sep 5 2005, 07:08 AM)

Annie,

Andy !

Seems to me - we all seem to get started like that - we get "sparked "

by someone or something - then it's off to the races!!

Thanks for your time and inspiration!

Annie

PS Thank you for the pictures - the 2nd Lt looks just a tad more than a boy - what a waste!

Hi Annie,

You see, it becomes totally absorbing. I Have got some more time today so will start scanning the Regimental accounts of the 10th for you.

Andy