Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Found photo

watchman

Hi

I recently purchased a Michelin battlefield guide for Ypres.

In side were three photos the first two being of veiws in the now and then type, however in the back was the attached photo.

On the back of the photo was the writing by two X:-

Rose Coombs MBE (died Jan 1991)

David Cohen

The lady Rose is shown as the lady in the hat, between, the lady in the wheel chair and the lady dressed in white.

Rose is wearing qiute a few medals

David Cohen is the gentleman who we see in perfect profile behind the lady previously methioned dressed in white.

Anybody now who Rose is?? judgeing by the medals she must have had a very distingished service.

The date on the other two photos is 1991

post-6832-1119964411.jpg

I am not sure about the medals (perhaps some relation to her MBE award), but Rose Coombs is the author of Before Endeavors Fade, perhaps the best Western Front tour guide yet written. This is a great picture of her and I am glad to see it, its a lucky find.

Check out the book too... I highly recommend it.

Andy

Watchman

Rose Coombs is wearing the medals on the right side which indicate that they are not earned by her but by somebody else; possibly a relative. David Cohen of course was one time chairman of the WFA. I'm not sure who the Chelsea Pensioner is but it could be Nick Keating, ex Royal Artillery who lived to a ripe old age.

Paul

Rose Coombs is wearing the medals on the right side which indicate that they are not earned by her but by somebody else; possibly a relative. 

I believe that Rose Coombs' father was in the Army Ordnance Corps, she told me once that he was involved in the development of the explosive RDX, also that she had explored a tunnel on the Western Front and found his name on the wall.

Regards

Simon

By the way, there is supposed to be a rose bush planted as a memorial to Rose Coombs in Ypres Ramparts Cemetery but I have never been able to find it. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Regards

Simon

A big thank you to all those who replied.

Showed my ignorance a bit did'nt I

Not knowing who Rose Coombs was and that medals pinned on a persons left side meant worn for somebody else.

Sounds like Rose Coombs was a well respected, knowledgable person.

With all respect to Mrs R Coombs and friends, I would like to pass this photo on to a person to whom it would be of importance rather than tucked away in my research library.

So if any person on the forum wishes to have this photo or can suggest a home for it, then please let me know.

Many thanks

Andrew

If I am right in thinking that you are offering to give it away, then I would like it, please, and would give you something in return.

Tom

Tom

Its yours.

The photos were an extra in a book I bought, so there was no charge to me and therefore no charge to you.

I am glad I can return something to the forum for the help I have received

If you could Pm me with a postal address then I will send asap.

Regards

Andrew

• Admin

Looks like the photo could have been taken at Thipepval, maybe the July 1st commemorations? Wonder who took it?

There is no official approval for wearing medals not belonging to you, whether on the left or the right. It appears to be an Australian thing which is creeping in over here. Aussie parades are thick with people wearing their father's, grandfather's and ever great-grandfatger's medals. It all looks ridiculous, especially on 18 year old youngsters.

Norman (curmudgeon)

Oh I don't know, Norman (you old curmudgeon).

The wearing of relatives medals (on the right hand side of course) is roundly encouraged in Australia by most (if not all) service assocations as they consider it helps the wearer (especially youngsters) participate activelyin the day (Anzac Day) which helps them in turn to (hopefully) perpetuate the event as the years pass.

As a veteran myself, I don't have a problem with this as long as the wearer is dressed appropriately for the occasion. What does peeve me a bit however is a lot of the medals are not mounted and therefore out of sequence when being worn but I guess at least an effort was made.

Gary

I would hazard a guess that the couple to David Cohen’s left are the Earl & Countess Haig and that the woman to Rose Coombs’ left is Lyn MacDonald.

Regards

Simon

• Admin

I think its Lyn McDonald too.

Rumour has always had it, and I seemed to remember confirmed on this forum before, that her ashes were scattered atthe Lille gate cemetery (??correct name??)

Ypres. SG

Came back to me , Ramparts cemetery Ypres. SG

I would agree with Michelle, photo is almost certainly at Thiepval, people to the rear are standing on one of the walls along the grassed approach.

Have never met Rose, but, am always indebted to her and I always bring "Before Endeavor Fades" on my trips to the front