Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Record Of The Cambridge University Press

HarryBettsMCDCM

Yipee!

In two minds as to wether to bother to go to the local "CBF" @ Wisbech this morning,Boy am I glad I erred on the side of caution & went!

Laying on the deck amongst a pile of books on Welding,Nursing Practices,Biology,Gardening & the usual dross,A little white tissue dust ~jacketed spine caught my eye,the front of the Dust Jacket hardly gave away the Gems inside" With The Compliments Of the Syndics Of the Cambridge University Press";Though the Words "Cambridge University Press" did yield a long sought for Clue,the Frontis however confirmed my anticipation {& hoped for} title:~

"War Record Of The Cambridge University Press 1914~1919"

I had been searching hopelessly for a copy of this War record of the employees of the C.U.P. since seeing it in a local library,yet never expected to find one squatting on the gravel @ a Car Boot Sale! & especially not @ £1.25 !

This delightful little volume give details of over 252 Employees of the "Press" who served in the Great War,a significant number in the local TF,it includes a number of portrait photographs & I am over the moon!

If anyone has any Cambridge City & Surrounding Villages men, they feel might have worked there I will willingly check.

It was a day of surprises & I also bought a modern publication of One Mans War:"Billy Smiths War,A Soldiers story 1915~1918" about a Sheringham RFA Artilleryman,Written in diary form by himself @ the time [Published By Hemsby Press 1995 ISBN:) 9519540 8 3] for the magnificent sum of 30p! I love my "Local"

Excellent news, Harry-Roger-Bernard-Betts, very pleased for ya.

Cheers

Richard

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Harry,

I wonder if you could look up Gordon Carey, he was the assistant sercretary at the Cambridge University Press. Any information gratefully received.

Many thanks

Andy

I wonder if you could look up Gordon Carey, he was the assistant sercretary at the Cambridge University Press.

My pleasure...........

verbatim:~

"CAREY G.V.

Gordon Vero Carey {Assistant Secretary to the Syndics}obtained a Commission in the 8th Bn. The Rifle Brigade in September 1914 & went to France in May 1915, He was wounded on July 30th 1915, on which date he was also promoted Captain. On discharge from Hospital he joined the Instructional Staff @ Cambridge & commanded a Company in No 2 Officer Cadet Battalion until October 1916, when he rejoined his Battalion in France. He was promoted Major in March 1917 & held acting rank of Lieut.Colonel for short periods during that year. In November 1917 he was attached as "Staff Learner" to X Corps HQ, & thence was transferred to the Royal Flying Corps; being appointed Adjudant of 2nd Wing RAF in May 1918. In November 1918 he returned home on appointment as Staff Officer [3rd Grade] @ the Air Ministry. He was Mentioned in Despatches & was awarded a Belgian Croix de Guerre."

I hope this helps!!! ;)

Sadly {& surprisingly} there is no photo of him in the book :(

Harry,

Many thanks for that bit of information. He was injured at Hooge on the 30th July in the flamethrower attack there which decimated the 7th & 8th R.B.'s. There is an article in one of the RB chronicles concerning the friendship of M. Scrimgeour, L.A. McAfee and C.V. Carey by his son H.F.G. Carey with a picture of them all together. If this article is of interest let me know and I will get it to you.

I will play around with this picture tomorrow and see if I can get a better image for you.

post-1871-1131325172.jpg