Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW in Russia

hmsk212

I have a document that belonged to a Pte from the 13th Yorkshire Regt who was a POW in Russia in 1919. Does anyone know where I can get it translated?

Steve

Hi, Steve,

You might start at your local library or, perhaps, the nearest school or university. Often there will be someone with the necessary skills employeed at one of these institutions. I often use "babelfish"

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

but I fear your document may be in cyrillic.

Best of luck,

Ann K.

This document of yours, what form is it in? Is it a actual original letter, account in typed or digital form?

Hi

No I am not in a hurry this will be a research project once I have some spare time on my hands.

Cheers

Steve

Wow, that was quick...

Commissariat of foreign affairs of city of Moscow on November, 1st, 1919

Registration card of English Prisoner of War. The bearer of this Georges Gej (might be "Gay") is English P.O.W and has lived on boulevard Kozinskomu since 21.09. Free movement on the city of Moscow not later than nine one o'clock in the evening is authorized. Leaving the city of Moscow, movement in the city after established time, visiting private apartments without the special sanction of the Commissioner is prohibited. At infringement of these rules guilty it is necessary to deliver to the Commandant of the Moscow Military District - Prechistenka 25. The commissioner at English P.O.W. The signature of the P.O.W.

This is was little translation, I had to clean it up a bit :D

Excellent, I don't how to thank you enough for this translation. It adds a whole new dimension to the paperwork plus bits and pieces that I have on this man.

Thanks once again :):D

Steve

The guy was practicaly a tourist!

Did he get back to the UK in the end?

He was discharged from the 13th Yorks in July 1920. His protection Certificate dated April 1920 shows him as a repatriated prisoner of war. He served in WW2 as a "Post Invasion Warden" for the Merton & Morden area.

Steve