Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Story (?) Behind the Pictures

4thGordons

I recently acquired several small albums of German photographs in an auction. Only one is currently in my possession. I started to post some of the images in the long running  GERMAN UNIFORM THREAD but I think that some of the material might distract from the main focus of that thread (uniforms) so I am starting this one.

album.jpgalbum2.jpgAlbum3.jpg

I have no provenance at all on the album, they were all simply lots in an auction. I do not even know for certain that the images in the album (which is a fairly typical period album) are in fact related, they could be simply someones later "scrap book" of German WWI photos - but I don't really think so. They seem to have been put together with some care to illustrate someone (or several people's) war service.

Frustratingly there seems little to identify even the main units involved let alone their relationship to each other. However, knowing the expertise that resides on the forum I thought I would start this thread and see if I can draw upon that to puzzle it out - whilst at the same time sharing some pics...so here goes.

Chris

This is the images from the first page

:pg1-3menW.jpg

Unfortunately as can be seen it is blurry enough that it is hard to discern detail.

As it is placed first in the album I suppose this *MIGHT* show one or more of the individuals to figure throughout -- if there is indeed a connection.

Also pasted into the first page is this pencil sketch entitled Notre Dame 1915

pg1-sketch.jpg

There is another different but similarly titled sketch on pg 4 this time giving the date as August 16 1915

pg4sketch.jpg

On pg 3 is a single image that appears to show a man standing guard looking over barbed wire obstaclespg3-on-guardweb.jpg

Page two (sorry about the out of order posting) shows a clear image of a group -- pg2-groupweb.jpg

Despite the clarity of the image it is hard to make out shoulder titles here is an attempt to capture some of them

pg2-groupdetail-web.jpg

Also on p4 is another group shot (smaller and less clear and also not showing clear shoulder boards) but there are some sort of collar devices presentpg4groupweb.jpg

pg4groupcollar-web.jpg

attempt to show collar devices

Thanks for opening the new thread, Chris.

I´ll have look after work. Quick question...

#7. Is it a 9 upon the collar?

7 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Page two (sorry about the out of order posting) shows a clear image of a group -- pg2-groupweb.jpg

Despite the clarity of the image it is hard to make out shoulder titles here is an attempt to capture some of them

pg2-groupdetail-web.jpg

Saxon cuffs and S.98/05's with metal scabbards, which were introduced in 1915. Have to get breakfast for the boys' now, then classes, and I'll try again later, but I think Saxon regiment numbers (Infantry) were the low 100's

Julian

EDIT: Quick thought - that's a post horn isn't it? So Kgl. Sächs. Schützen (Füsilier)-Regiment Prinz Georg Nr.108?

Edited by trajan
Add PS

Going back to the one above, posts no 5 and 9. There does look to be an emblem above the number on the chap you have highlighted, plus the two chaps top left at rear. So, if a Saxon unit, then the possibilities are, I think, limited. Aside from Nr.108, as suggested in my last post, on account of the possible 'post horn', then all we have - that I can find, anyway! - is the Kgl. Sächs. 1. Jäger-Bataillon Nr.12, which also used a post horn.... 

Julian

I think it's either Jäger-Bataillon 13 or Reserve-Jäger-Bataillon 13... The number 13 is quite obvious to me.

Jan

Edited by AOK4

9 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Thanks for opening the new thread, Chris.

I´ll have look after work. Quick question...

#7. Is it a 9 upon the collar?

It does look like a 9 although it is not 100% clear - and at least one, if it is a 9, is being worn at an angle which confuses it more

pg4collar.jpg

4 hours ago, AOK4 said:

I think it's either Jäger-Bataillon 13 or Reserve-Jäger-Bataillon 13... The number 13 is quite obvious to me.

Jan

It does look like a 13 to me too Jan, but it is frustratingly unclear and there is a fault on the print where the shoulder board on the back row left end should be visible!. Few more pics to follow.

Thanks

Chris

not much (except perhaps a guess at location/area) can be gleaned from the next pic on p5 as it is both in poor condition and blurred by moving subjects

pg5-march2w.jpg

and then an internal shot where perhaps the collars offer something.

pg5-office2w.jpg

Page 6 has a damaged inside shot in poor light of men sitting around a table but also:

pg6-pickelhalbeweb.jpg

and a shot of a "trench"

pg6-trench.jpg

Pg 7 has two images this one with a frustratingly over-exposed sign!

p7-1aweb.jpg

Which I have attempted to tweak below but not very effectively: at least the words are not obvious to me (although some letters are)

p7-1asign.jpg

Telegrafen Beine

... Vogesen ...

Edited by AOK4

5 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Jan

I am inclined to agree on the number being 13 rather than 12 (and certainly not 108) but didn't have an accessible reference to their epaulettes...

Julian

47 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Page 6 ...

pg6-pickelhalbeweb.jpg

Looks to be two beasties, suggesting to me Bavaria (two lions) or Wurttemburg (lion and a stag, if I remember rightly), but the Bavarian one had the Bavarian 'coat of arms' on the plate and this looks to be a letter! I'll see what I might have in books when I get home. Oh and he's a 'One-yearer' isn't he? The edging to his epaulettes...

Edited by trajan
Add extra information

An interesting set!

Unfortunately "Notre Dame" is not going to be much help as, like very many Catholic churches, it will be the Church of Our Lady (notre dame) of [wherever] - in the same way that a large number of English/Scottish churches are St Mary's or Welsh place names Llanfair-[something]. 

I suppose we can at least say that it is in France or French-speaking Belgium!

Hello!

A short overview.

The saxons: It´s Jäger-Btl. 12 or 13. Right. I can´t recognize the number to 100%. I don´t think, it´s reserve, because the boys are pretty young.

The bavarian one-yearer: He wears a chain chin-strap, not a leather one. So he did pass the officers test, and probably is waiting for his officers patent. The collar patches are not black for artillery, engeneers etc. According to a spiked helmet it will be red - so infantry.

The collar 9: Before the Landsturm recieved their army corps and serial number in 1915 (example: VII.8), they wore only the number of the infantry-brigade. In this case the number 9 of 9th brigade in Frankfurt/Oder (III.army corps). The district commands of that brigade were Frankfurt/Oder and Cüstrin. The soldiers came from around those both cities.

Edited by The Prussian

Thanks for the summary. The images seem fairly disparate at this point - does anyone see any recurring faces yet? I am struggling to see obvious repeats (but then I struggle with faces generally)

I will keep scanning and posting pictures as I have time.

Here is the second one from pg 7

It is a little dark and also printed on very rough/textured photo paper which does not help the image quality. Can anyone tell what the machine is? is it some form of old (rather small calibre, Double barreled gun or.....)

p7-2aw.jpg

and an attempt at greater detail on the "Thing" p7-2adetail.jpg

Another odd object on the following page

pg-9-3.jpg

Perhaps some sort of early aerial bomb? or mortar bomb? (lying on its side?) the original is blurred unfortunately

on the same page as the above - another group who seem to specialize in not revealing anything identifiable

Is it me or do the lower cap insignia look large (and light coloured)

pg-9-1.jpg

P10 - again not much in the way of obvious insignia -- maybe the newspaper indicates region?

p10-1.jpg

p10-1paper.jpg