Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battalion movements on 28/29 March 17

Dawn Vaughan

I want to find out my uncles last movements when he was injured 29 March 1917 near Arras France. He was in the 8th Kings Royal Rifle Corps. I know he on the frontline overnight (but where) . I know his battalion was getting ready for battle of Arras but he was injured just before. 

He was taken to CC 20 in Warlincourt where he died of his injuries. 

Hi

The battalion moved into 'trenches in front of Beaurain' on Sunday 25th and remained there until relieved by 7KRRC on Monday 28th. Suffered 12 casualties during this tour.

Moved to 'cellars and caves' at Ronville until Sunday 1 April 1917.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme you are a font of knowledge! Where can I find the trench map at Beaurain as this must be where he was injured if they were in the safety of caves on 29/30th? 

Finding my Gt Uncle has become so emotional. I am building a picture of his last week. I am also trying to find out where the 20cc in

Warlincourt was which is where he died....  

36 minutes ago, Dawn Vaughan said:

Graeme you are a font of knowledge! Where can I find the trench map at Beaurain as this must be where he was injured if they were in the safety of caves on 29/30th? 

Finding my Gt Uncle has become so emotional. I am building a picture of his last week. I am also trying to find out where the 20cc in

Warlincourt was which is where he died....  

Who was he  ?

Craig

His war gratuity shows that he had 12 or less months qualifying military service at time of death.

Craig

Where can i find this from Craig? I had worked out from the services numbers that he joined up 1/15

On 12th Aug 1914 another 11770 had joined up which takes service numbers up to 23044. The next intake was 6th Jan 1915 which would have included Williams number 33618. The R denotes and men joining up after the war started.

• Admin

I'm not a KRRC number/enlistment date expert but it just so happens I have been looking at men with R/257xx KRRC numbers, and they were allotted in June 1916.

On that basis one might predict 33618 was later. Have you found records of men with 336xx KRRC numbers in early 1915?

Regards

Russ

1 hour ago, Dawn Vaughan said:

Where can i find this from Craig? I had worked out from the services numbers that he joined up 1/15

On 12th Aug 1914 another 11770 had joined up which takes service numbers up to 23044. The next intake was 6th Jan 1915 which would have included Williams number 33618. The R denotes and men joining up after the war started.

You'd need to look at the soldiers effects records and then the link in my signature file.

The only way the gratuity could have been paid to a man who joined up in Jan 15 is if he had a minimum of 15 months of war time service which was disqualified as service for war gratuity purposes - which would be highly unusual.

Craig

No Craig, i picked this info up from generic info about 8th KRRC.  Mother Matilda recieved £2.11.8d and £3 gratuity.... So he needed to have joined in Jan intake then?

Does that mean from when he was called up? 

5 minutes ago, Dawn Vaughan said:

No Craig, i picked this info up from generic info about 8th KRRC.  Mother Matilda recieved £2.11.8d and £3 gratuity.... So he needed to have joined in Jan intake then?

Does that mean from when he was called up? 

Unless he was an unusual case who had a period of military service which was disbarred from counting towards his war gratuity (which was based on length of service) then his  War Gratuity was only paid for 12 month or less (he received only the basic flat rate amount) service.

Craig

Craig thanks for the 20cc link- i have established the CC was 'a tent' at Warlincourt Haulte which is where the cemetery is. But youre right doesnt tell me much else. There road needed attention. ...something  was broken and they were waiting for a repair. And they had compiled a table to register the dying...!

So Jan 15 to March 30th 17 covers that

1 minute ago, RussT said:

R/33658 Herbert Underwood was called-up 6th October 1916

R33658.JPG

Where did you find that? Do you think there would be one for William Carter somewhere?

• Admin

Dawn

From your post #8, I would be keen to learn how you worked out from service numbers that he joined up in Jan 1915.

Any chance please you could let me know your methodology?

Regards

Russ

• Admin

Dawn

I looked for William Carter's records but it looks like it was one of the many destroyed in WW2.

There are plenty of records on FMP for men with similar KRRC service numbers - the one I posted above is an example.

Russ

12 minutes ago, RussT said:

R/33658 Herbert Underwood was called-up 6th October 1916

R33658.JPG

So this chap is 33658 and William was 33618. William could have been the last few numbers in Jan?

But at the start  11374 had joined up and issued. Then i think i took the date the 8th KRRC formed and went to winchester which was and another  11770

Then the next intake was Jan. Assumed it took in 33618......?  Now im thinking maybe not lol.

3 hours ago, Dawn Vaughan said:

Where can I find the trench map at Beaurain

Mational Library of Scotland's website is my favourite for trench maps - it allows you to "fade" between trench map and modern map.

• Admin

Dawn

I'm afraid I don't understand your methodology - sorry.

R/33555 Horace Frank White joined on 30th September 1916

Regards

Russ

R33555.JPG

ok so that blows my theory out of the window ha ha!

So assuming then he joined 6th Oct 16 onwards, how did he get the gratuity if he had served under 12 months? 

3 hours ago, John_Hartley said:

Mational Library of Scotland's website is my favourite for trench maps - it allows you to "fade" between trench map and modern map.

I will have a look thanks

• Admin

Dawn

He received a £3 War Gratuity, which as Craig has explained means he had less than 12 months service.

He died on 30/03/1917, so he must have joined after 30/03/1916. September or October 1916 is after March 1916 so all the information you have is fully self-consistent.

Regards

Russ

sorry misunderstood that.... So you think he 'joined up' or was 'called up' september 16  or after ?

...sorry misunderstood craigs point. so you think he 'joined up' or was called up after sep 16?