Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th (Light) Division

mike.backhouse

Hello...

This is my first post, so it could well be all over the place! I'm looking for illustrations of the 'battle badges' worn by the 20th (Light) Division. I'm particularly interested in 60th Brigade. Any help would be most welcome... Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Archie

I don't have any pics to hand, OK so I dabbled with paint but it's only for illustration and with artistic license ;)

all the battle patches of the division were black, the 59th Bde (circle), 60th Bde (triangle) and 61st Bde (square) the battalions in each brigade were ID by black dashes under the relevant brigade patch,

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1252714336.jpg

Jon

Was the 12th Rifle Brigade a triangle and four bars.

John

I don't have any pics to hand, OK so I dabbled with paint but it's only for illustration and with artistic license ;)

all the battle patches of the division were black, the 59th Bde (circle), 60th Bde (triangle) and 61st Bde (square) the battalions in each brigade were ID by black dashes under the relevant brigade patch,

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1252714336.jpg

Jon, thanks for that... appreciate it. Do you know whether the Divisional sign was worn on the uniform, or just the Brigade badges?

I've never seen any evidence of the divisional badge being worn but that's not to say it wasn't, perhaps it would be wise to seek an expert on one of the divisional regiments who may have some photographic evidence. The only other additional information I have on the division is that the 11th Bn. DLI (Divisional Pioneers) wore a black diamond and all units wore the patches on the upper arm.

cheers, Jon

I've never seen any evidence of the divisional badge being worn but that's not to say it wasn't, perhaps it would be wise to seek an expert on one of the divisional regiments who may have some photographic evidence. The only other additional information I have on the division is that the 11th Bn. DLI (Divisional Pioneers) wore a black diamond and all units wore the patches on the upper arm.

cheers, Jon

Thanks Jon... That all help's. Bit slow in replying, still trying to figure out how the site works!

Mike

Mike

In the war some divisional signs were worn on uniform and/or helmets, and others were only used on signboards, divisional assets such as transport vehicles, etc. I am fairly confident that 20th Div falls into the latter category. In many years of collecting and perusing photos I've never seen one being worn or seen a surviving example. I tend to agree that only lower unit level patches would have been worn.

Regards,

W.

Mike

In the war some divisional signs were worn on uniform and/or helmets, and others were only used on signboards, divisional assets such as transport vehicles, etc. I am fairly confident that 20th Div falls into the latter category. In many years of collecting and perusing photos I've never seen one being worn or seen a surviving example. I tend to agree that only lower unit level patches would have been worn.

Regards,

W.

Thanks for that... I don't think I've come across an example either. With such a huge subject it's always useful to have extra pair's of eye's.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

cheers, Jon

Jon / Archie,

Tocemma has posted a picture of an actual 12/KRRC patch on an officer's SD tunic here:

'Cloth Insignia', Information - Post #92

Here also for completeness is the 20th Division flash, though as already stated probably not worn on uniform:

post-20192-1253708099.jpg

[from a Players cigarette card]

When did these battle flashes begin to be worn? And would they be worn on all variants of the uniform? And when on Home Leave?

I have a studio portrait of my grandfather (12/KRRC then later transferred to 16/KRRC) wearing a single LSGC chevron and a wound stripe giving a tentative date of late 1916, but he has no 12/KRRC battle flashes.

Perhaps this absence of battle flashes could help me date the photo more accurately?

If flashes were already in use by 20th Division by (say) mid 1916, then that could also mean he'd already transferred to 16/KRRC at the time of the photo.

Sadly I expect use of flashes is a late War adoption so won't help me date either the photo or his transfer <_<

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 months later...

cheers, Jon

Hello Jon,

Thanks for the information and drawings.

My Men-At-Arms series #182 (British Battle Insignia) states that under the Brigade circle, triangle or square, units were identified by 1 to 4 dashes, however, according to the Wikipedia 20th (Light) Division, both the 59th and 61st Brigades (over the course of the war) 5 different battalions. (61st-7/SLI, 7/DCLI, 7/KOYLS, 11/DLI and 12/Liverpool, 59th-10/KRRC, 11/KRRC, 10/RB,11/RB and 2/Cameronians).

My questions are:

When one Battalion joined the Brigade, did it did it assume the battle flash of the one leaving?

How did they determine which unit got how many dashes? (by date entering the Brigade or other).

Cheers, Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add that the divisional RE and RAMC wore battle insignia too.

The engineers wore a red triangle with black bars below.

The field ambulances a dull cherry disc also with black bars below.

post-4543-1263307573.jpg

Is that it; or are there more?

cheers, Jon

Hello Jon,

How many dashes would the 7/SLI have had below its square? Any idea when they started wearing the battle flash? Can you tell me how the number of dashes each battalion received was determined?

Thanks and cheers, Bill

Bill

The 7th Somerset L I wore 2 bars below their 61st Bde Square. The number of bars was determined by the regiment's Army List Seniority and then if 2 battalions of the same regiment are in the same brigade by seniority within the regiment.

Mike

Bill

The 7th Somerset L I wore 2 bars below their 61st Bde Square. The number of bars was determined by the regiment's Army List Seniority and then if 2 battalions of the same regiment are in the same brigade by seniority within the regiment.

Mike

Thank you for that Mike. It clears up what I was looking for!

Cheers, Bill

• 3 weeks later...

When did these battle flashes begin to be worn? And would they be worn on all variants of the uniform? And when on Home Leave?

I have a studio portrait of my grandfather (12/KRRC then later transferred to 16/KRRC) wearing a single LSGC chevron and a wound stripe giving a tentative date of late 1916, but he has no 12/KRRC battle flashes.

Perhaps this absence of battle flashes could help me date the photo more accurately?

If flashes were already in use by 20th Division by (say) mid 1916, then that could also mean he'd already transferred to 16/KRRC at the time of the photo.

Cheers,

Mark

Pals,

Since this Topic has revived :rolleyes: I wonder if anyone has any info on when these battle flashes began to be worn on uniforms?

Cheers,

Mark

Pals,

Since this Topic has revived :rolleyes: I wonder if anyone has any info on when these battle flashes began to be worn on uniforms?

Cheers,

Mark

Ha! No sooner do I post the above when I find the similar Topic about 20th (Light) Division brigade flashes where Mike_H states ...

Bill

<snip> Re the date the scheme of flashes was adopted - I have found nothing to suggest that it was in use before very late 1917 or early 1918.

Mike

Any more info on thisfrom any other Pal??

Cheers,

Mark

• 6 years later...

I don't have any pics to hand, OK so I dabbled with paint but it's only for illustration and with artistic license wink.gif

cheers, Jon

20th_Divison_battle_patches.jpg

Bill

Mike

In which case wouldn't 10/KRRC as the senior battalion in 59 Brigade use a single horizontal bar under a circle, not two bars, which should be 11/KRRC?

Mark

12 KRR helmet which I used to own.

Many many thanks for sharing this Wainfleet - my grandfather's battalion.

Mark

If only I'd known that I'd have offered it to you! I can't remember who bought it now, sorry.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Has anyone seen/have photographic evidence of this scheme in use?

I know several are listed in the IWM collections, along with images of an extant tunic featuring these on this forum, as well as the helmet above - but can we actually place these on members of the division in period images?

A tall order, I know, but hopefully someone can shed some light!

Cheers