Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

easter rising

Steve_McGarry

A person I know states that his/ her Grandfather was the Postmaster in charge on the day of the rebellion. Would you fellows know tha name by chance.

I would list the name that I was given, but if it turns out not to be so... I'll just wait for now.

Regards, John

John,

The Secretary of the Post Office in Ireland at the time of the Easter Rising was (Frederick?) Norway. While his office was in the GPO, he avoided the seizure of the GPO as he was at a meeting in Dublin Castle at the time. His son (Fred?) was killed on the Western Front while serving with the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. He is commemorated in a church in Blackrock, Co. Dublin, near to where the Norway's lived while in Ireland. A younger son, Neville Shute Norway, later achieved fame as the novelist Neville Shute.

I think I'm right on Frederick being the name of the father and elder son, however as I'm not certain I wouldn't want to mislead.

Regards,

Philip

while you guys are on the subject of the uprising do any of you know if any yorkshire regts served there and if any was pulled out of france to take part in it as my dads grandfather was ment to have been there and thats all we know at the moment

• 9 months later...

The story of the Sherwood Foresters in Ireland is now on the SF's official website. Click on http://www.wfrmuseum.org.uk/rhr_Ireland.htm

The handbook is republished and widely availible in Ireland. Send me your address and I will forward you a copy with an invoice.

Wig

Presumably the reason Dietrichsen's headstone is not CWWG is because he was buried by his family before the end of the war.

I believe his wife [beatrice?] and children had been sent from nottingham to Dublin to escape potential Zeppelin raids, and that he bumped into them by coincidence en route from Kingstown to Mount St Bridge a few minutes before he was shot.

My understanding was that the design of CWWG stones and their uniformity wasn't decided until after Nov 1918 when it was decided to make all stones uniform to show an 'equality of sacrifice': some families wanted to build elaborate memorials, while other families wouldn't be able to afford a stone; therefore the government decided to adopt a uniform headstone policy. Presumably Dietrichsen's family didn't want his headstone replaced and as it was in the UK their wishes were respected. A number of easter rising casualties from 59th Division are buried in Nottingham, Leicester etc according to their family wishes.

Has anyone got a copy of the handbook they wish to sell [or know where i can obtain one?] I'm currently writing my MA dissertation on the easter rising and I desperately need this book! many thanks,

regards,

woody

I see you have found the book.

You might also seek out Major Setchels recent very substantial publication on the Sherwood Foresters and the rising. I think its called "A bridge too far" He certainly lodged in iChester, Nottingham, Derby libraries etc.

wig

http://www.savannah-publications.com/

I have just ordered a copy of the handbook from this company.

Couldn't seem to get it from Amazon, Blackwells and others, but phoned the number on the website above and am awaiting my copy [only ordered it today...]

hope this helps anyone who is looking for this book

You might also seek out Major Setchels recent very substantial publication on the Sherwood Foresters and the rising.  I  think its called "A bridge too far"  He certainly lodged in iChester, Nottingham, Derby libraries etc.

Wig,

Would you kindly elaborate on the details of this book? I couldn't find any reference to it on the web and would be most interested in getting hold of a copy.

• 4 years later...

The book '1916 Rebellion Handbook' published by The Mourne River Press in 1998 (reprint of 1916 edn) contains casualty lists (killed & wounded) of both sides including military, police, rebels, civilians etc. Some burial locations are included.

Paperback ISBN 1-902090-05-0 price £14.99 (pounds).

It also contains a mass of other statistical detail on the Rising.

Terry just found this thread. Before I shell out on the book could you tell me if a F.C. Blackwell bugler 2/6 Sherwood Foresters Notts and Derby is listed as wounded.

I have been conducting some family rersearch as some of the information I had been told by relatives didnt fit neatly. The original story I was told by my father was that Francis Blackwell my Grandfather served in the Black and Tans where he was concussed or injured during an incident in 1920-21. This was further strengthened by a photograph of a young man in Black and Tan uniform that bears a resemblance. However after doing some separate research and with the assistance of other colleagues on other threads its confirmed he signed up in the 2/6 Sherwood Foresters 1914ish who actually took part in suppressing the Easter Rising in 1916. Family photographs of him in uniform confirm the regt and the location was near where he lived but records are sparse. The Osprey Book of the Easter Rising also details the part elements of the Sherwood Foresters played and has some more vital photo's again with one of a boy who bears a resemblance to my Grandad. Any confirmation would once and for all confirm one little piece of history and although not rule out his involvement in the latter would cast doubts on it at least.

Many thanks Mel, just looked on the second of your 2 links but he's not on the list, might be because the wound was slight being "only" knocked out, the first website is blocked from the system Im woirking from so will try that later. Many thanks anyway

I've a copy of the book (plus others on the Easter Rising) and can confirm that he's not listed amongst the wounded of any unit.

any chance you could upload the photos in "Tan" uniform? I've seen the photos of him in Bugler pose and with his sister on the Sherwood Foresters database thread.

The only medal index card on Ancestry I can see for a Francis Blackwell in the Notts & Derby Regt is 3495 DMR (drummer?), later 408135 RAF. BWM and VM marked as returned unclaimed.

I can see his birth registration in Q3 1899 in Bakewell so if he had been involved in the Easter Rising he would have been approx 16years 9 or so months old.

graves of two volunteers killed a nd three british soldiers lay side by side in the cemetry of the old dr stevens hospital ,kingsbridge, dublin.

the names were posted here some time ago .

graves of two volunteers killed a nd three british soldiers lay side by side in the cemetry of the old dr stevens hospital ,kingsbridge, dublin.

the names were posted here some time ago .

checkout two recent publications that detail the actions the Sherwood Foresters were involved in during the 1916 Rising in Dulbin.

They are Blood on the 'Streets' 1916 and the Battle for Mount Street Bridge,isbn 9781856355766 and Uncommon valour, 1916 and the Battle for the South Dublin Union, isbn 9781856356541

I've a copy of the book (plus others on the Easter Rising) and can confirm that he's not listed amongst the wounded of any unit.

any chance you could upload the photos in "Tan" uniform? I've seen the photos of him in Bugler pose and with his sister on the Sherwood Foresters database thread.

The only medal index card on Ancestry I can see for a Francis Blackwell in the Notts & Derby Regt is 3495 DMR (drummer?), later 408135 RAF. BWM and VM marked as returned unclaimed.

I can see his birth registration in Q3 1899 in Bakewell so if he had been involved in the Easter Rising he would have been approx 16years 9 or so months old.

Jonny, this ,makes for some very very interesting reading, My Grandfather did at some point during the Great War enter the RFC and I have photographic evidence to confirm, he met my Grandmother at either Feltwell or Harling Rd TDS so that fits very conveniently with the records you have there. He also served in the RAF in WW2 volunteering although over 38/39 as he was being nagged by his wife about never having a hoiliday and I believe there was a recruitment drive later in the war offering a cash bounty to men over conscription age?

I can attach a scan of the Tan photo but just need reassuring that I'm allowed to do this first as its taken from a book and I'm not sure re copyright if its permissiblke to post.?

checkout two recent publications that detail the actions the Sherwood Foresters were involved in during the 1916 Rising in Dulbin.

They are Blood on the 'Streets' 1916 and the Battle for Mount Street Bridge,isbn 9781856355766 and Uncommon valour, 1916 and the Battle for the South Dublin Union, isbn 9781856356541

thanks for the pointer re the "Uncommon Valour" book. Just got a copy via ebay.

Jonny, this ,makes for some very very interesting reading, My Grandfather did at some point during the Great War enter the RFC and I have photographic evidence to confirm, he met my Grandmother at either Feltwell or Harling Rd TDS so that fits very conveniently with the records you have there. He also served in the RAF in WW2 volunteering although over 38/39 as he was being nagged by his wife about never having a hoiliday and I believe there was a recruitment drive later in the war offering a cash bounty to men over conscription age?

I can attach a scan of the Tan photo but just need reassuring that I'm allowed to do this first as its taken from a book and I'm not sure re copyright if its permissiblke to post.?

no service record on Ancestry that I can see.

Re the image, I think that would be a breach of copyright. Perhaps just give the name of the book and the page reference.

the photograph is in the book BLACK AND TANS by Richard Bennett

ISBN 1-86227-098-8

Originally published 1959. My copy is from 2001 published by Spellmount Ltd.

The photo in question is on page 96,

plate 24: Below: Three Auxiliaries stand guard at a military sports meeting.......

The chap in the centre bears the resemblance to my Grandfather aged about 21/22 although of course I now have doubts that he did serve in this force

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

QUOTE (Terry Denham @ Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:32:15 +0000)"1916 Rebellion Handbook" also lists two more

2/Lt G.J.Hunter 5th Lancers Died 26.04.16

First buried in Dublin Castle then to Grangegorman

Was he the only casualty of 5th Lancers? I seem to recall it being written somwhere that during the opening phase of the rebellion four members of 5th Lancers were killed in a cavalry charge in Sackville Street. Does the book list any of their names?

Capt Hunter was killed near the Four Courts in Dublin; This link refers to his group of the 5th Lancers and their gunfight with the rebels in the Four Courts:9 http://broadsidesdotme.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/357/

just saw this thread for the first time, there is a description of this by Nevil Shute in his autobiography SlideRule, where he talks about the uprising, and of his role, which I think was accompanying ambulances, in the same biography he also describes his brother Fred's death in France and that his parents were able to travel to France to visit him before he died.

br

mags