Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

easter rising

Steve_McGarry

Steve

A lot of soldiers killed during the easter rising are buried in Grangegorman Military Cemetary beside the Phoenix Park about a mile or so from Dublin city centre.

Stephen

As their deaths occured within the United Kingdom (as it was then), their burial place was the choice of the next-of-kin and so the answer is - both.

The book '1916 Rebellion Handbook' published by The Mourne River Press in 1998 (reprint of 1916 edn) contains casualty lists (killed & wounded) of both sides including military, police, rebels, civilians etc. Some burial locations are included.

Paperback ISBN 1-902090-05-0 price £14.99 (pounds).

It also contains a mass of other statistical detail on the Rising.

Guest John Orfei

Terry or Conor, Perhaps, one or both, may be able to answer this question in respect to the 1916 Easter Rising.

A person I know states that his/ her Grandfather was the Postmaster in charge on the day of the rebellion. Would you fellows know tha name by chance.

I would list the name that I was given, but if it turns out not to be so... I'll just wait for now. However, I did tell this person about the Rebellion Handbook.

Regards, John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest woodyudet

British Officers killed [or died of wounds after] during the Easter rising have also been buried in these locations:

I am trying to cross reference this info - there are some officers missing, but this is the info i have at the moment:

Major Percival Havelock Acheson - Army Service Corps - 29th April.

Husband of P. Acheson, of Ive-le-Bawn, Fermoy. Buried at Castlehyde Church, Co. Cork.

Colonel Henry Thomas Ward Allatt - Royal Irish Rifles. wounded near the South Dublin Union, died 8th May. A retired officer, re-employed as a recruitment officer. Aged 69. Served with the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. Son of Christopher and Mary. Husband of Constance, of Folkestone. Rejoined the Army in August 1914. Buried at Aldershot Military Cemetery, Hampshire. Posthumous MID. http://www.cwgc.org.uk/detailed.asp?casualty=359102

2nd Lieutenant Montague Bernard Browne - 2/8th Sherwood Foresters. wounded 25th April, died 30th April.

Aged 39. Son of Mary and the late Rev. S. Browne, of North Collingham, Nottinghamshire. Buried at Dean's Grange Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

2nd Lieutenant James Howard Calvert - 6th Royal Irish Rifles - killed 24th April.

Buried at Seagoe Cemetery, Co. Armagh, Ulster.

2nd Lieutenant Charles Love Crockett - 12th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - killed 28th April.

Buried at Londonderry City Cemetery, Ulster.

Lieutenant Harold Charles Daffen - 2/8th Sherwood Foresters. Killed in action 26th April.

Aged 23. Son of Charles and A. Daffen, of Worksop, Nottinghamshire. Buried at Grangegorman Military Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

Captain Frederick Christian Dietrichsen - 2/7th Sherwood Foresters. Killed in action 26th April at Lower Mount Street.

Aged 33. Son of James. Husband of Beatrice. Buried at Dean's Grange Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

2nd Lieutenant George R. Gray - 4th Royal Dublin Fusiliers - killed 28th April.

Aged 22. A dental student. Son of the late Alexander and Helen, of Newcastle-on-Tyne. Buried at Grangegorman Military Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

2nd Lieutenant William Victor Hawken - 2/7th Sherwood Foresters - killed in action 26th April.

Aged 31. From Westminster. Buried Westminster City Cemetery, Middlesex.

2nd Lieutenant Algernon Lucas - 2nd King Edward's Horse - killed at the Guiness Brewery, 28th April.

Aged 37. Buried in Dublin Castle grounds, later moved to Grangegorman Military Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

Lieutenant Gerald Aloysius Neilan - 10th Royal Dublin Fusiliers. killed at the Mendicity Institution on Usher Island, 24th April.

Aged 34. Son of John Neilan, of Ballygalda, Roscommon. Buried at Glasnevin Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

Lieutenant Percy Claude Perry - 7th Sherwood Foresters. Killed in action 26th April.

Aged 33. Son of G. Perry, of Nottingham. Buried at Nottingham General Cemetery.

2nd Lieutenant Guy Vickery Pinfield - 8th (King's Royal Irish) Hussars - killed 24th April.

Aged 21. Buried in Dublin Castle grounds, later moved to Grangegorman Military Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

Lieutenant Philip Addison Purser - Army Service Corps - killed returning to Dublin from Kingstown, 29th April. Aged 20. Son of William Purser, of Dublin. Buried in Dublin Castle grounds, later moved to Grangegorman Military Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

Lieutenant Alan L. Ramsay - 3rd Royal Irish Regiment. killed in the attack on the South Dublin Union.

Aged 26. Son of Daniel Ramsay, of Ballsbridge, Co. Dublin. Buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

Captain Alfred Ernest Warmington - Royal Irish Regiment - killed in the attack on the South Dublin Union.

Son of Alfred Warmington, of Naas, Kildare. Buried at King George V Military Hospital, Dublin. Moved to Grangegorman Military Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

"1916 Rebellion Handbook" also lists two more

2/Lt G.J.Hunter 5th Lancers Died 26.04.16

First buried in Dublin Castle then to Grangegorman

2/Lt B.Worswick 2nd King Edward's Horse Died 28.04.16

Burial location untraced as yet.

Correcting/adding to the above

The second officer was

2/Lt Basil Henry Worsley-Worswick

2nd King Edwards Horse Died 29.04.16

Originally buried in Dublin Castle & also moved to Grangegorman

Both are on CWGC site

Regarding Captain Frederick Christian Dietrichsen. Buried in Dean's Grange Cemetery. I noticed that he did not have a CWGC headstone over his grave but a now very hard to make out family one was there.

Conor

Hasn't the 1916 Handbook been republished recently? I thought Savannah Publications (regular advertisers in Medal News) put it out?

Hasn't the 1916 Handbook been republished recently? I thought Savannah Publications (regular advertisers in Medal News) put it out?

It was republished a few years ago I will find out the publisher and IBSN number if you want.

Conor

I recently read that British Army casualties in the Rising were about 230. Is that right?

Simon

The "1916 Handbook" lists 18 officers and 94 Other Ranks killed with 46 officers wounded and 311 ORs.

Also says 17 police killed and 366 civilians plus 15 executed.

Names of all are listed.

Guest woodyudet

Presumably the reason Dietrichsen's headstone is not CWWG is because he was buried by his family before the end of the war.

I believe his wife [beatrice?] and children had been sent from nottingham to Dublin to escape potential Zeppelin raids, and that he bumped into them by coincidence en route from Kingstown to Mount St Bridge a few minutes before he was shot.

My understanding was that the design of CWWG stones and their uniformity wasn't decided until after Nov 1918 when it was decided to make all stones uniform to show an 'equality of sacrifice': some families wanted to build elaborate memorials, while other families wouldn't be able to afford a stone; therefore the government decided to adopt a uniform headstone policy. Presumably Dietrichsen's family didn't want his headstone replaced and as it was in the UK their wishes were respected. A number of easter rising casualties from 59th Division are buried in Nottingham, Leicester etc according to their family wishes.

Has anyone got a copy of the handbook they wish to sell [or know where i can obtain one?] I'm currently writing my MA dissertation on the easter rising and I desperately need this book! many thanks,

regards,

woody

The non-CWGC headstone is perfectly normal.

The next-of-kin of a soldier dying in the UK (of which Ireland was still part at this time) had the choice of a CWGC stone or their own private memorial - an option not given to the n-o-k of casualties buried overseas. However, at the time of this burial the form and design of the official CWGC headstone had not been defined and so a private memorial is not unusual.

Below is a copy of my comments about the book earlier in the thread. I only bought my copy in late 2001 new in Waterstones (Brighton) & so it can't be too difficult to get hold of.

"The book '1916 Rebellion Handbook' published by The Mourne River Press in 1998 (reprint of 1916 edn) contains casualty lists (killed & wounded) of both sides including military, police, rebels, civilians etc. Some burial locations are included.

Paperback ISBN 1-902090-05-0 price £14.99 (pounds).

It also contains a mass of other statistical detail on the Rising."

• 1 year later...
"1916 Rebellion Handbook" also lists two more

2/Lt G.J.Hunter 5th Lancers Died 26.04.16

First buried in Dublin Castle then to Grangegorman

Was he the only casualty of 5th Lancers? I seem to recall it being written somwhere that during the opening phase of the rebellion four members of 5th Lancers were killed in a cavalry charge in Sackville Street. Does the book list any of their names?

Ciaran

The above post which you quote was referring only to officers.

The book also lists nine ORs from the Lancers as killed or died of wounds

Sjt J.D.A.Headland

Sjt Shepherd

Pte J.Blundell

Pte F.Hughes

Pte P.Leen

Pte A.Newland

Pte L-C.C.Osborne

Pte A.Scarlett

Pte W.Walker

Thanks for the information Terry. I did some research on the men listed above and noticed that some were actually belonged to 12th Lancers too. I have lsited their regiment, date of death, service number and burial place.

Sjt James David Arthur Headland 5th Lancers 24/04/1916 5165 GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

Sjt H Shepherd 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment 24/04/1916 16125 GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

Pte James Blundell 12th (Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers 02/05/1916 6976 GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

Pte F.Hughes 12th (Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers 24/04/1916 8227 GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

Pte Patrick Leen 5th Lancers 01/05/1916 GS/16095 ROYAL HOSPITAL CEMETERY, KILMAINHAM

Pte A.Newland 12th (Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers 02/05/1916 5937 GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

Pte Clarence Osborne 5th Lancers 27/04/1916 4130 GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

Pte Arthur James Scarlett 5th Lancers ("B" Sqdn.) 24/04/1916 6297 GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

Pte William Walker 5th Lancers 27/04/1916 2743 GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY