Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Dido sunk 26th February 1916 North Sea

Bods

Hi all,

I am trying to research the Wilson Line vessel SS Dido which was sunk by a mine in the North Sea on the 26th February 1916. 28 of her crew were lost.

One of the able seamen on board was my Great grandfather George Skipworth of Hull (the Dido's home port) who was aged 46yrd when he died.

I have managed to ascertain that the mine was laid by the German minelaying submarine UC 7.

I have some local newspaper clippings relating to the sinking and also have managed to compile a list of the crew lost through the CWGC site.

If anyone else has any info or any interest in the vessel please contact me.

Many thanks

David

Hello David, welcome to the wet section.

The DIDO was mined 4 miles NNE from Spurn Lightship, North Sea and was carrying general cargo from Tees and Hull to Bombay, built 1896, 4,769 grt.

Best wishes

David

Thank you Historydavid,

Extra Info always appreciated.

I'm also checking into a couple of soldier relatives who were killed in the Great War but researching a naval theme is an interesting new angle on the war (for me anyway) and it's fascinating.

Again, many thanks

David

DIDO

Depth 13m

Reference: 53 37'.298 N 000 15'.144 E

The DIDO (Official No.105907) was a steel 4,769-ton British steamship that was registered at Hull. She had dimensions measuring: 122.09m by length, by a 14.63m-beam and a draught of 8.73-metres. Earle’s Ship Building Co. Ltd. built her at Hull in 1896 for Thomas Wilson Sons & Co. Ltd. of Hull. A 3-cylinder triple expansion steam engine that developed 339hp using three boilers powered her single iron screw. She had cylinder sizes measuring: 63.50cm, 101.60cm & 177.80cm-121.92cm, (25in., 40in. & 70in.-48-inches). Earle’s Ship Building Co. Ltd. also built her machinery at Hull. She had two-decks and a superstructure consisting of a 13.41m-poopdeck, 32.31m-bridgedeck and an 11.89m-forecastle.

At 6.15 a.m. on 26th February 1916, while lying at anchor during a raging gale and heavy snow showers, just north of the Humber, a violent explosion rocked the DIDO on her port-side up forward, She was carrying one passenger, who also happened to be a stowaway, a crew of thirty and an unspecified general cargo, while on passage from Middlesbrough for Bombay. Captain Taylor instructed the Chief Officer to lower a boat and have the damaged area examined. The Chief and two crewmen climbed in, but as the boat reached the water, the battering from choppy waves broke it adrift. The men tried desperately to row back to the steamship, but in the thick squally snow, they lost sight of the ship and were soon driven away by a strong tide and the wind. The Belgian steamship MARTHA actually found the three men headed over to the DIDO to see what assistance could be rendered. The DIDO was gradually sinking and some of the men had gone into the sea by the time the MARTHA reached the vessel. Attempts were made to rescue the men by throwing ropes, but the icy water had left them too weak and exhausted to grab hold of the ropes. A lifeboat was then lowered from the Belgian steamer, but the freezing conditions were also affecting the rescuers and the squally lumpy sea made rescue almost impossible. At 7.20 a.m., with the MARTHA standing by, the DIDO heaved up and went down to the bottom, taking the confidential papers down with her. In total, twenty-seven people were lost, the stowaway and twenty-six crewmen. The MARTHA then proceeded on her voyage to Hull, where she landed the three survivors.

Later, the explosion was discovered that the vessel had detonated a mine placed by the Imperial German submarine SM UC 7.

(Four-months later, on 6th July 1916, the submarine was also lost with her crew of eighteen, when it is believed she detonated a newly laid British mine, between Thornton Bank and Zeebrugge in the English Channel. Although, she may have been lost by accident, resulting from mechanical or drill failure. SM UC 7 was under the command of Oberleutnant zur See G. Haag, who was also lost with the boat.)

Wreck-site

The wreck is orientated in an east to west direction, lying on a seabed of muddy-sand and short weed, in a general depth of 13m, being the lowest astronomical depth. She is now totally collapsed, well broken up and thoroughly dispersed, with the highest piece standing no more than 2m. The whole wreck is just a large mound of broken steel debris and bits of machinery, covering an area of some 200m by 25-metres or so. One larger piece lies some 50-metres over to the west of the main part of the wreckage.

I can supply the crew names if you need any

Cheers Ron

David, according to CWGC records 48 of the LUSITANIA casualties were buried. However, Hull is is not listed. So presumably the ones you have seen are empty.

I have the names and details of the 48 if you want them.

Best wishes

David

Does anyone have the name of the stowaway?

Chris

Apologies for my post re the LUSITANIA earlier; must have had a senior moment.

From the THM:

SKIPWORTH, GEORGE, Able Seaman, Mercantile Marine, Dido (Hull) S.S., 26-Feb-16, age 46, Killed by mine, Son of Jane and the late Henry Skipworth; husband of Frances Elizabeth Skipworth (nee Ainsworth), of 6, Chatham Place, Adelaide St., Hull. Born at Wakefield.

Best wishes

David

Apologies for my post re the LUSITANIA earlier; must have had a senior moment

No worries historydavid, we all have them! lol

I have checked my research on the Dido and it seems that the four Dido graves I have seen in Western Cemetary, Hull are listed by the CWGC site.

What has confused me is that contemporary local press articles reported several other funerals taking place for named crewmen after further bodies were washed ashore.

None of these additional crewmen reportedly buried in Western Cemetary have gravesites listed on CWGC and I've been unable to find the headstones. Weird.

Further to the narrative of the sinking, a newspaper article lists the surviving Chief Officer as Mr Tadman.

Unfortunately, chrisharley9 I haven't got anything concerning the stowaway mentioned.

David, these details are extracted from a CWGC report on MM & MMR buried dead for the DIDO:

DANN, DUDLEY St AUBYN, Engineer's Steward, MM, 26-Feb-16, aged 20, grave ref L C 487, Bradford (Scholemoor) cemetery, Yorkshire, England, Drowned by mine explosion, born Lincoln, Son of Alfred and Ellen Maria Dann of 4, Saplin St, Manningham, Bradford.

HABBERSHAW, THOMAS ELTON, Seaman, MM, 26-Feb-16, aged 23, grave ref 82 37, Hull Northern cemetery, Yorkshire, England, Drowned, Son of Louise F Habbershaw of 20, Chesnut Avenue, Queen's Rd, Hull

KARLSON, GUSTAV, Fireman, MM , 26-Feb-16, aged 36 aged 42 , grave ref D 9, Grimsby (Scartho Road) cemetery, Lincolnshire, England, Son of Ulicktor Ulicklund of Soderby, Liljendal, Finland.

TAYLOR, J R, Master, MM, 26-Feb-16, grave ref ?, Hull Western cemetery, Yorkshire, England, Son of George Brent Taylor; husband of Amy Clara Taylor of 9, Heathcole St, Newland, Hull.

THORNLEY, JOHN, Boatswain (Bosun), MM, 26-Feb-16, aged 62, grave ref 499 48171, Hull Western cemetery, Yorkshire, England, Son of Jonas and Eliza Thornley; husband of Anna Thornley of 16, Harrow St, Hull.

WAITES, WILLIAM ARTHUR, Second Engineer, MM, 26-Feb-16, aged 47, grave ref 108 10608, Hull Western cemetery, Yorkshire, England, Son of the late Mr and Mrs J W Waites; husband of Jane Catherine Waites of 10, Ripon Villas, Bruswick Ave, Hull.

Best wishes

David

Thanks fella,

I had the names but not the family or address details.

As always your contributions are much appreciated.

:D

• 1 year later...

I have been carrying out some research into the casualties of this ship working on the premise that some of the bodies were washed ashore; what has happened that the search has show that there was an additional member of the crew who was not commemorated at the time

From NE Lincs archives

The burial of John Black is recorded in the register of Scartho Road Cemetery, Grimsby.

Entry 21,670

John Black, aged 53, seaman on Wilson liner Dido, 10 Lower East Street, Middlesbrough, Drowned off Spurn, died 26 February 1916, and buried on 1st March 1916 in grave 42-C-5. Informant was A.R.Watson, and the officiating minister was S.H.Burgess.

(A.R.Watson was a Grimsby undertaker).

He has been reported to the IFCP project who are now dealing this matter

I will be carrying out a search of other cemeteries as there is a reference in the Times to 8 bodies being washed ashore at Donna Nook Lincs

From the Times of the 28th & 29th of Feb 1916

post-4020-1256667121.png

post-4020-1256667224.png

10 of the graves of the missing crew have been including Bods great granfather. At the moment I only know the locations of the graves; I will be finding out one way or another if any of the graves have a headstone

My thanks to Ben Coullin at Hull City Council

Name: COBBY, HAROLD

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine

Unit Text: S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Date of Death: 26/02/1916

Additional information: Son of Albert and Annie Isabella Cobby, of 17, Plane St., Hull. Born at Hull.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Hull Western Cemetery

Name: HARDCASTLE, WILLIAM JOHN

Initials: W J

Additional information: Son of William John and Harriet Hardcastle (nee Baxter), of 11, Marlowe St., Hull. Born at Whitby.

Hull Hedon Road Cemetery

Name: MARTIN, WILLIAM HENRY

Initials: W H

Additional information: Son of Sarah Jane and the late Henry Martin; husband of Eliza Ann Martin (nee Fowler), of 139, Campbell St., Hull.

Hull Western Cemetery

Name: MOSS, WILLIAM HENRY

Initials: W H

Additional information: Son of William Henry and Charlotte Moss, of 5, Villa Terrace, Walker St., Hull.

Hull Hedon Road Cemetery

Name: RANDS, CHARLES EDWIN

Initials: C E

Additional information: Son of the late Henry Rands; husband of Annie Elizabeth Rands (nee Hazard), of 5, Wellesley Avenue, Middleburg St., Hull. Born at Hull.

Hull Hedon Road Cemetery

Name: ROSINDALE, HENRY

Additional information: Son of Henry and Kate Rosindale; husband of Sarah Ann Rosindale (nee Taylor), of 64, Princes Rd., Hull. Born at Hull.

Hull Western Cemetery

Name: SKIPWORTH, GEORGE

Initials: G

Additional information: Son of Jane and the late Henry Skipworth; husband of Frances Elizabeth Skipworth (nee Ainsworth), of 6, Chatham Place, Adelaide St., Hull. Born at Wakefield.

Hull Western Cemetery

Name: SMITH, JOHN

Initials: J

Additional information: Son of Mary and the late Henry Smith; husband of Gertrude Crowson Smith (nee Lidster), of 1, Ann's Place, Francis St., Hull. Born at Hull.

Hull Hedon Road Cemetery

Name: VINSON, EDGAR

Initials: E

Additional information: Son of Harry and Mary Vinson (nee Vaughan), of 5, Mareham Avenue, Ena St., Hull. Born at Hull.

Hull Western Cemetery

Name: WILLIAMS, GEORGE

Initials: G

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Williams, of 14, Beaumont St., Wellsted St., Hull. Born at Hull.

Hull Western Cemetery

Looks like some fantastic research by Chris has possibly located the last resting places of several crew members who are presently only commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial.

It would be fabulous if he has managed to find my Great Grandfather's grave and I'm hoping it will be possible to ensure he has a CWWG marker as he deserves.

Well done Chris.

:)

Just for interest and Chris' information:

Here are some photos that I took a couple of years ago in Hull's Western Cemetery of the grave markers for the four grave sites that I was able to track down:

Master J.B.Taylor:

taylorv.jpg

2nd Engineer W.A.Waites

wiates.jpg

Boatswain J.Thornley

thornley.jpg

and also:

Seaman T.E.Habbershaw:

habbershaw.jpg

Hopefully there will be other grave markers posted here soon....may they all Rest In Peace.

Bods

thanks for the photos

Charles

will you need a map/plans etc I already have the grave refs

All The Best

Chris

Charles

sorry about that - could you pm me your e mail & i will send the list over

All The Best

Chris

Another 4 of the graves have been found

Name: BOSTED

Additional information: Born in Norway.

Name: WESTERLUND, ALFRED

Initials: A

Additional information: Born in Sweden.

Both at Hull Western

Name: VAN DYK, BASTIAN

Initials: B

Unit Text: "Dido" (Hull).

Additional information: Husband of Annie Elizabeth Van Dyk (nee Lidster), of 73, Alicia St., Hull, Yorks. Born at Rotterdam, Holland.

Name: LEES, JAMES

Initials: J

Additional information: Born at Calcutta.

Both at Hedon Road

• 2 weeks later...

With the help of Charles who went out & checked all the graves for me it has now been confirmed that only the grave of Edgar Vinson has a headstone

Charles my thanks for doing that job for me; with your help the job was that much easier

Chris

• 2 years later...

VINSON, EDGAR

Date of Death:26/02/1916

Regiment/Service:Mercantile Marine

S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Grave ReferenceCompartment 441. Grave 42587

CemeteryHULL WESTERN CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of Harry and Mary Vinson (nee Vaughan), of 5, Mareham Avenue, Ena St., Hull. Born at Hull.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Third Mate Vinson is buried here.

Commemoration Moved From Tower Hill

COBBY, HAROLD

S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Grave ReferenceCompartment 191. Grave 18567

Additional Information:

Son of Albert and Annie Isabella Cobby, of 17, Plane St., Hull. Born at Hull.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that this gentleman is buried here.

ROSINDALE, HENRY

S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Grave ReferenceCompartment 108. Grave 10658

Additional Information:

Son of Henry and Kate Rosindale; husband of Sarah Ann Rosindale (nee Taylor), of 64, Princes Rd., Hull. Born at Hull.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Carpenter Rosindale is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

SKIPWORTH, GEORGE

S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Grave ReferenceCpt. 529. Grave 51076

Additional Information:

Son of Jane and the late Henry Skipworth; husband of Frances Elizabeth Skipworth (nee Ainsworth), of 6, Chatham Place, Adelaide St., Hull. Born at Wakefield.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Able Seaman Skipworth is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

WILLIAMS, GEORGE

S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Grave ReferenceCpt. 476. Grave 45918

Additional Information:

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Williams, of 14, Beaumont St., Wellsted St., Hull. Born at Hull.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Able Seaman Williams is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

MARTIN, WILLIAM HENRY

S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Grave ReferenceCpt. 507. Grave 48933

Additional Information:

Son of Sarah Jane and the late Henry Martin; husband of Eliza Ann Martin (nee Fowler), of 139, Campbell St., Hull.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that this gentleman is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

RANDS, CHARLES EDWIN

S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Grave ReferenceCpt. 315. Grave 80

CemeteryHULL (HEDON ROAD) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of the late Henry Rands; husband of Annie Elizabeth Rands (nee Hazard), of 5, Wellesley Avenue, Middleburg St., Hull. Born at Hull.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Donkeyman Rands is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

HARDCASTLE, WILLIAM JOHN

S.S. "Dido" (Hull)

Grave ReferenceCpt. 316. Grave 89

CemeteryHULL (HEDON ROAD) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of William John and Harriet Hardcastle (nee Baxter), of 11, Marlowe St., Hull. Born at Whitby.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Third Engineer Hardcastle is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

Here is a list of those I can find on my database

ALTOFT, John William 2nd Mate MM SS Dido (Hull) killed 26.2.16

BOSTED, H Able Seaman MM SS Dido (Hull) killed 26.2.16

BURKHALTER, Ernest, Steward MM SS Dido (Hull) drowned 26.2.16

BYRNE Michael Able Seaman MM SS Dido (Hull) drowned 26.2.16

COBBY, Harold 4th Engineer MM SS Dido (Hull) killed 26.2.16

DANN, Dudley St,Aubyn Engrs Steward MM SS Dido (Hull) drowned 26.2.16

GOLD, S. Assistant Steward MM served as GILBERT SS Dido (Hull) killed 26.2.16

HABBERSHAW, Thomas Elton Seaman MM SS Dido drowned 26.2.16

HARDCASTLE, William John 3rd Engineer MM SS Dido (Hull) killed 26.2.16

KARLSON, Gustav Fireman MM SS Dido 26.2.16