Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Second Lieutenant E. S. Frizelle, Lancashire Fusiliers

Mark Hone

I wonder if any of our Northern Irish Pals have any info, perhaps a photograph, about this chap:

FRIZELLE, EDWIN SAMUEL

Initials: E S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/08/1915

Additional information: Son of William George and Janie Frizelle, of Knutsford House, Cliftonville, Belfast. Native of Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: M.A. A. 60.

Cemetery: LANCASHIRE LANDING CEMETERY

He was a given a brief obit in the Bury Times and is therefore included on my 'Bury Virtual War Memorial'. He's an unusual member of 1/5th LF in the early war period as it was a classic local TF unit (more Pals Battalion than the Pals Battalions) and the fact that he got a BT obit implies he had some other Bury connection-training as a doctor in the vicinity, perhaps.

Mark,

he is mentioned in the LF annual 1914-15, although they seem to suggest that the 1/5th LF were not enagaed on 3/8/15. The unit had returned to Mudros for a rest @And so back again to the delectable Peninsula in time for the 7th August' (p191). 'On or about that day' were killed....."nd Lt W C Yapp, the MG officer, 2nd Lt 'Frizelle who ( after rejoining us in Egypt) had proved himself to be made of the right stuff'.

He is included in the bttn roll of officers on arrival in Gallipoli, posted to C company. This is in the section written by Lt R W Butcher. (pp186-195)

An earlier section, written by Capt Horridge (pp169- 185) does not mention him being killed in this action ( it does mention Yapp and others. It does , hoever mention thta he was shot in the arm on 4th June. He is not in the picture of the bttn officers 'when stationed in Egypt, 1915 (p173) although this includes Yapp and others, including Capt E G Wrigley who was reported shot in the foot in the same advance as Frizelle.

There is no obit for him in the annual, and he is not mentioned in the year end list of casualties.

Regards

Adam

Mark

Some further info for you, including a pic.

Taken from - Our Heroes: Supplement to Irish Life, September , 24th, 1915.

Second Lieutenant Edwin S Frizelle, 5th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers, was kiled in action at the Dardenelles on Tuesday, 3rd August. Lieut Frizelle was the son of Mr William G Frizelle, Drumreagh, Alliance Avenue, Belfast. He was educated at the Antrim Road Baptist School. He had a most distinguished career in the Queen's University, having been a scholar and exhibitioner right through his Arts course. Mr Frizelle had intended studying for the medical profession, but upon the outbreak of war he volunteered for activer service, and receivedhis commision in the Lancashire Fusiliers in August last. About two months ago he was wounded and sent to the base hospital at Alexandria, but returned to the front and had been in the trenches and firing line for some weeks previous to the action in which he was killed.

His name may well be listed in the Queen's University War Memorial as well, I will check tomorrow for you.

Regards, Tommy.

I wonder if any of our Northern Irish Pals have any info, perhaps a photograph, about this chap:

FRIZELLE, EDWIN SAMUEL

Mark,

Tommy is correct he is listed on Queen's University war memorial. Image attached.

Stuarty

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your replies. I now have a photo and additional details to put on the Bury Virtual War Memorial. Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. It had gone off my 'Ten Most Recent Posts' listing and I nearly missed it. William Yapp was one of the four old boys of Bury Grammar school (where I teach) who died at Gallipoli, three of them with 5th LF.