Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SHELL SHOCKED, a silent film with sound! Canada 1919.

Canadawwi

I've been looking into this story, and thought I'd share the early results of my research. In April 1919 a silent film called "Shell Shocked" premiered in Calgary, Alberta. The film was written by Sgt. Joe Atherton, a Canadian first World War veteran. He was also the lead actor. What was different about this film was that he (with others) appeared at the screening of the film and lip-synced the voices to give the illusion of sound. I don't think he was the first to try this technique, however, I would like to mention the film on this forum, as otherwise, it appears the film has been lost to history.

The articles below were reviews of the film that were published during its brief run. I have attempted to find out more about the writer/actor, and my notes follow the transcripts.

Many films from the silent film era were lost or destroyed. I can find no trace of this film. Perhaps other members can add more to this story.

Calgary Herald, April 23, 1919, pg. 12:

AMUSEMENTS

DOUBLE HEADLINE BILL AT REGENT

A programme which is sure to be of exceptional interest to all Calgarians is being shown at the Regent for the last times today and tomorrow - featuring both the latest Anita Stewart feature, "A Midnight Romance," and also the Canadian film, "Shell Shocked."

Many attempts have been made in a moving picture world to secure a truly living speaking picture, and it has been left for Sergeant Joe Atherton, C.E.F., of Calgary, to introduce this new and startling feature. The actual words, with all their tenseness, vehemence, and varying degrees of modulation are rendered by the elocutionist who follows the story, and the audience is thrilled as never before in the hitherto "Silent Drama."

Sergeant Atherton, who acts the role of the "shell-shocked" soldier in the picture, personally appears and renders the words of the story as they emanate from his lips on the screen. The Regent management are giving 50 per cent of the proceeds during the showing of this picture, to the G.W.V.A.*

(This article is accompanied by an advertisement for the movie, captioned "Sgt. Joe Atherton, In His Truly Living, Speaking Picture "Shell Shocked").

*Great War Veterans Association

Calgary Herald, April 23, 1919, pg. 13:

"SHELL SHOCKED" REAL PHOTOPLAY SENSATION

"Shell Shocked," the unique, moving picture drama, written and acted by Sergt. Joe J. Atherton, which is being shown at the Regent four days, having commenced Monday, is a heart-rending little playette. As the lips of the actor in the picture move, the voice and exact words he uses are spoken by the sergeant himself.

The shell-shocked soldier gets off the train in Calgary, a pathetic, limping figure. His wife had not received his telegram telling of his arrival and the muddled brain of the returned veteran believes his wife is untrue to him. The story ends happily, but not without first pointing out a strong moral to the Calgary relatives and friends of the returned men. Shell-shocked men are not responsible for all their hallucinations, and the least we can do is to bear with them.

The return of a local battalion is of especial interest, the picture being very clear and true. Those familiar with the city will rejoice at recognizing familiar places, as all the scenes are in the city.

Sergt. Atherton is to be congratulated on his unusual, interesting and instructive offering.

The original newspaper pages may be viewed here:

Original Movie Review #1

Original Movie Review #2

A look into the Canadian online attestations points to John Joseph Atherton, 160088, born Salford, Lancashire, England, as most likely to be the actor in question. His wife lived on 925 3rd Av. West in Calgary. Born in 1872, he volunteered for service with Calgary's 82nd Battalion on September 16, 1915. He was 43 years old at the time he signed his attestation. He had previous experience with the 103rd Calgary Rifles. The other two Canadian soldiers sharing the same name are do not appear to have a Calgary connection. These are (i) Joseph Atherton, 210054, enlisted with the 98th Battalion in Welland, Ontario; and (ii) Joseph Atherton, 931042, enlisted in Fernie, British Columbia, in the 225th Battalion.

J. J. Atherton - original military attestation

Another Calgarian who had the same next of kin address as Sgt. Atherton was Captain William Joseph Atherton who was born in 1892. He died during his service with the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles on August 26th, 1918 and is buried in Achicourt Road Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. He listed Mrs. J. J. Atherton as his mother, at 925 3rd Av. NW. It seems possible that he may have been Sgt. J. J. Atherton's son based on the above and with the age difference. I have put his photograph on his record which may be viewed - here. If he was his son, there is yet another story to discover - did the loss of his son inspire the movie? Was this the start of a film or screenwriting career for Sgt. Atherton? I cannot find a trace of his film work at a later date. Or was it his only film?

• 1 month later...

What an incredibly interesting article and link...thanks for posting this. I've been studying shell shock for many years now and never came across this.

Thanks again.