Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dickebusch Camp - Chateau Segard

Steve_McGarry

I have a thread runnig in units and formations .. thought it best to put this in here - question is Chateau Sergard still standing ? and where was Dickebusch Camp in relation to the village ...I will be in Ypres this coming tuesday so would like to get some pics of the area.. Thanks in advance

Here's New Dickebusch Camp

post-671-1178370735.jpg

Many thanks .. interestily there is a Surrey camp just down the road .. Any idea of the date ? I have married this piccy up with the modern google map of dikkebus so thanks to you will be able to see the site of the camp. still looking for Chateau Sergard it doesn't show on this map .. thanks again this is a great help

Steve,

Sorry, I can't send you a map. But I hope this will help.

On leaving Ypres through the Lille Gate, after 800 meters there is the "Kemmelseweg", the road to Kemmel. On the right (left is Komenseweg.) Right after turning right you cross the railroad.

You continue in the Kemmelseweg, and approx. 800 meters from where it began on the right side is where Swan Chateau was. Now a residential area "de Witte Huizen" (White houses).

You continue, and after 2km from the beginning of the Kemmelseweg, on the right side, is where Chateau Ségard was. Now it's a farm, some distance from the road. But at the road side there are two original columns of the castle, broken off, one with a little statue of the virgin.

A little past where the Chateau was, there is a roundabout now. If you arrive there you are ... too far. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

Aurel

Steve,

Just found a map.

Chateau Ségard and the crossroads where now there is a roundabout in the bottom left corner.

Aurel

post-92-1178387301.jpg

Many thank Aurel, I will take a look on Tuesday ... Do you still have the trowel we gave you on a visit to Yorkshire trench way back in 03 !!!! a great visit ..

what can I say .... many thanks I should be able to spot those !!.. I will post transcripts of the letters on my return

• 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • DavidOwen changed the title to Dickebusch Camp - Chateau Segard