Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

211 Seige Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

Paul Byrne

Hi Kevin,

Thanks very much for your reply. I have used Ancestry in the past but not yet searched for Ernest's records. I'll get back on there and check out the information.

Much obliged for your help....

Best Regards, Dave Boden

• 3 months later...
My paternal grandfather Gnr. DOUGLAS MacGEACHIN FISHER Regimental Number 95712, served with 211 SIEGE BATTERY, ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY in World War 1 ,dying of his wounds at home on 8th of November 1918. (see msg. from Sept. 2012)

Was his next of kin, his wife issued with a Memorial Plaque and the commemorative scroll from King George V? I hold my paternal grandfathers medals, but have never seen the above plaque. (My paternal grandmother also died before I was born.) If I purchase a replacement please advise if the soldier’s name, rank and number was inscribed on the rim of the plaque similar to the medals?

would he also have been entitled to the Silver War Service Badge?

Many thanks for your help on this matter particularly in this year when I expect you will be getting a significant number of WW1 enquiries.

Hi Douglas.I have left a reply in the chat room for you but just to confirm. Plaques and scrolls were issued to the next of kin but really did not come into effect until 1919 and into the1930's.in order to receive them the next of kin had to complete Army form W.5080 quote from the form:

“In order that I may be enabled to dispose of the plaque and scroll in commemoration of the soldier named overleaf in accordance with the wishes of His Majesty the King, I have to request that the requisite information regarding the soldier's relatives now living may be furnished on the form overleaf in strict accordance with the instructions printed thereon.

The declaration thereon should be signed in your own handwriting and the form should be returned to me when certified by a Minister or Magistrate.”

The plaque do show the name of the serviceman but unfortunately are not replaceable as records no longer exist!

Silver Badges were issued to honorably discharged servicemen,so if your grandfather was still serving when he died he would not have received one.

As you know your grandmother was the next of kin and so the trail must start there,Good luck

next-of-kin-memorial-plaque-350.jpg

Hello Dan,

Many thanks for the information. I had somehow suspected that that would be the answer. Interesting enough neither the MOD medals office or the National Archive could give an answer.

As we know this is the centenary of the outbreak of WW1 and I am attending a Drumhead Service at Edinburgh Castle on Saturday 10th of August, so I wanted to ensure that the details about my paternal grandfather were correct.

Douglas

Hello All especially to dan99 --many thanks for the information and help on my post of 30. July.

D

• 5 months later...

HI, Just found this thread. My family member Gunner Frank Owen Romans served in 211 Siege Battery.

He enlisted on 8 December 1915 and was discharged on 12 April 1918. His service number was 107210 and curiously he was discharged under para 392 (xvii) Para 2 (a) (1) which I understand to be that he had served 21 years. Seeing as he was 36 at discharge it would suggest he had enlisted at 15 or so - and as we have a photograph of a young lad in a buglers uniform perhaps as a bugler.

If anyone has access to a copy of Two Eleven and could see whether he is mentioned and whether there are any pictures of the full battery we would be very grateful - and of course anher information!!

Alastaw,

After attesting on the 8th dec. 1915 Gnr. Romans would have gone back to his normal occupation until being mobilised and sent a travel warrant to report to the Citadel, Plymouth, around the 18th July 1916. After about a couple of weeks it is likely he was posted to a regional company for further training.

It would seem he was discharged under KR 392 (xvi), with sub paragraphs, which is the normal procedure for discharge of men no longer fit for military service.

What information do you hold that places him in the 211th Siege Battery?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Gnr Romans Silver Badge Record certified by the O/IC RGA records at Dover shows him as having served in 211 Sge Btty and having served Overseas for 6 months

Alastair

• 1 month later...

hi guys I have a medal to gnr Alfred john barnwell also of the 211th date of death 07/05/17 ?is there any photos or mention of him thanks guys

douglynn: Under the list of those killed Barnwell is listed as "Alfred J. Barnwell, Gunner; killed May 7th, 1917; buried in Liévin Communal Cemetery Extension.

On Page 21 it states: On May 7th there was a severe "strafe", and Gunner Barnwell, the air sentry, who had been but a short time with us in the Battery, was killed. [this occurred at Liévin.]

Unfortunately he is not in either of the group photos as he joined after the battery went overseas.

Dick Flory

• 4 months later...

I have just discovered that my grandmother's brother, Gnr 152837 Alfred Fellows, was in 211. He joined up on 15 Dec 15 but was not mobilised until 17. He was posted to the battery in early November 17 and stayed with them until September 18 when he went home with dysentery. Fascinating to read the above threads, must think about getting the book.

Rob

• 2 months later...

I have been helping someone research a boxed WWII Defence Medal to a local school teacher, named George Westaway Laity. It now appears that he served as 128263 Sjt. with 211 Siege Battery. His Teacher's Registration Card shows war service 1915-1918.

Steve

Steve,

He initially enlisted with the Cornwall RGA TF and would have been given a four digit number. On posting to 211 SB, on formation, he was transferred and given his "regular" number of 128263.

He is listed on a casualty sheet (FMP) when he was wounded at the start of 1918.

Kevin

Kevin, thanks for that, even a simple Defence Medal can turn into an interesting story!
Steve

Steve,

He initially enlisted with the Cornwall RGA TF and would have been given a four digit number. On posting to 211 SB, on formation, he was transferred and given his "regular" number of 128263.

He is listed on a casualty sheet (FMP) when he was wounded at the start of 1918.

Kevin

Cpl G W Laity from a group photo of 211 Siege Battery, RGA taken at Aldershot 27 October 1916.

post-765-0-57243700-1444237725_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone, this is my first post so apologies if I should have started a new topic. I recently began collecting medals and was bought the victory medal of a Gnr Robert Marr, 95634. He served with the 211 from enlistment in Feb 1916 and was killed in action on the 5/10/1918.

I was hoping that anyone with a copy of the Two Eleven could shed any light on Roberts time with the RGA including how he was killed (I believe the 211 lost 18 men between september and november 1918 and Robert was one of these), and if possible let me know if there are any photographs.

Huge thanks in advance

Peter

Peter,

Extract from the book and attached photo.

“In the course of the day (5.10.18) the enemy paid particular attention to this section. At fairly long intervals a heavy shell preached the position from the North and caused some of our greatest casualties. At midday, just when the detachments had finished their rounds, one of these fell close to the bivvy, killing Bob Marr, who had been the layer of A gun from the day when the Battery first left England.....”

Rgds Paul

post-9366-0-56064000-1445001934_thumb.jp

Thank you Paul,

Thats really more than I had hoped for. I assume the image is from the group shot taken before they left England in 16 that has been mentioned earlier in this thread?

I will have to try to get access to a copy of the 211 to learn more about their movements.

Once again thank you very much for your help!

Peter

• 1 year later...

Hello All ---

I found out through this site details about my paternal grandfather's war service. However realised recently I  did not know what type of  artillery pieces  211 had --- 6"howitzers?   Can anybody through some light on this matter.

Thanks

Douglas aka Blackbob

2 hours ago, blackbob said:

Hello All ---

I found out through this site details about my paternal grandfather's war service. However realised recently I  did not know what type of  artillery pieces  211 had --- 6"howitzers?   Can anybody through some light on this matter.

Thanks

Douglas aka Blackbob

Post #4 (Back in 2006) says they had 4 x 6" Hows.- 26 cwts.

• 1 year later...

My grandfather, Christopher Brown Hynd was, I believe, a gunner in the 211. I have been unable to obtain a copy of "Two Eleven Being the History of 211 Siege Battery R.G.A. On the Western Front", and I would be very grateful if anyone with a copy could let me know if he is mentioned. He survived the war, but was wounded at some stage.

Many thanks. :-)

Les

Welcome Les to the forum,

There is no reference to any HYND in said book.

Can I just check if you thought 211b was his battery because of that numbering on his Medal Index Card? Then I'm afraid that is just referencing the Medal Roll and page where he is listed in volumes held at the National Archives (now online) and NOT his battery served with. His entry simply records the dreaded 'Base Details' which is going to make it very difficult to know in which battery he served unless you hold additional information or perhaps have a photograph of him in uniform which may show trade badges eg signaller.

I can only suggest you see if the main library in the area he came from has a surviving AVL (Absent Voters List) from 1918 which may show his battery if you are lucky, or local newspaper archives as you indicate he was wounded.

Rgds Paul

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/9/2018 at 13:18, ororkep said:

Welcome Les to the forum,

There is no reference to any HYND in said book.

Can I just check if you thought 211b was his battery because of that numbering on his Medal Index Card? Then I'm afraid that is just referencing the Medal Roll and page where he is listed in volumes held at the National Archives (now online) and NOT his battery served with. His entry simply records the dreaded 'Base Details' which is going to make it very difficult to know in which battery he served unless you hold additional information or perhaps have a photograph of him in uniform which may show trade badges eg signaller.

I can only suggest you see if the main library in the area he came from has a surviving AVL (Absent Voters List) from 1918 which may show his battery if you are lucky, or local newspaper archives as you indicate he was wounded.

Rgds Paul

Paul, Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply and for this useful information. I will need to check out where we got our information about 211b although I suspect it may have been his Medal Index Card. :-(

Regards, Les