Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Sidney Woodrow RFC

stevenbecker

Mates,

Do you have anything on the death or service of this officer.

He transfered from 1 Sqn AFC AIF and served in 54 Sqn RFC but meet his death in a fling accident Sept 1916 near Curdworth Warwickshire.

Thanks

Cheers

S.B

Only a snippet.

London Gazette 16-9-1916

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Mil. Wing.—The undermentioned appts. are made: —

Flying Officers.—

23rd Aug. 1916.

Lt. S. Woodrow, Australian F.C.

Steve.

Steve

Lt Sydney Woodrow from Buangor, Victoria, was flying Sopwith 1½ Strutter 7772 of No 54 Sqn RFC when he was killed in an accident on 23 September 1916.

I can't find mention of another crew member in the Strutter.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

Thankx Mates,

Sorry its still open to find how he died I'll have to check in other areas.

Cheers

S.B

Steve

I'm not sure if this is any help, info taken from

R.F.C. Casulties and Honours During the War of 1914-17 published August 1917.

'Lt Sidney Woodrow ascended in a bi-plane on Sept 23rd, and was lost to view above a bank of clouds. Shortly afterwards the machine reappeared,making a nose-spin earthwards and it crashed to the ground. Lt Sidney Woodrow was killed instantaneously. It is estimated that he fell from a height of 8,000 feet. he was 35 years of age,came from Sydney, and started flying in July [1916]. He was quite competent.'

Regards Doug.

Thanks Mate,

Thats a great help as I know now how the man died.

Is there any way we can find where he died?

I know he was buried near Curdworth but do you know where the airfield was he was flying from (54 Sqn base) and where he fell to the earth.

Thanks again as all these little peices fit together.

Cheers

S.B

• 14 years later...

Just googled Lieutenant Sidney Woodrow as walking through Curdworth Parish church and spotted his grave. Wonder if he was flying out of castle Bromwich where they made and tested spitfires in WW2?

No. 54 Squadron was formed at Castle Bromwich on 5 May 1916. Like many others formed at the same time, was tasked with Home Defence duties flying BE2Cs and Avro 504s. Four months later, however, it re-equipped with Sopwith Pups, being the first Royal Flying Corps Squadron to operate the Pup. It moved to France as a day fighter squadron in December 1916. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._54_Squadron_RAF

The private aerodrome at Castle Bromwich was taken over by the RFC in WW1, and was the same airfield where assembled Spitfires were tested in WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Bromwich

Lt Sidney Woodrow photo attached  was a great rarity a native Australian who learnt to fly in Australia. His grave lies outside the church door one of five RFC personnel all killed in the area flying out of Castle Brom. In the picture his is the cwgc stone visible at the rear. Even nicer next time you are there go into the church, not only is there a wooden plaque commemorating six men all killed in the area ( Sixth Lt Croft was returned to parents home South cadbury) but there is an amazing meorial to Lt Woodrow fashioned out of a four bladed wooden propeelor into the form of a cross with tinplate plaque and Australian expeditionary force rising sun cap badge welded on.

110.jpg

70.JPG

Edited by salientguide

• spof changed the title to Lt Sidney Woodrow RFC