Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr 219623 Frank Fairbank RFA - help with war service please

Sue S

Good afternoon, I am helping a friend to research his dad's war service. All the usual avenues - service, pension, SWB, newspapers etc. have failed to reveal anything of interest and I was wondering whether his service number might give a clue to when he enlisted. He was Frank Fairbank, a gunner in the RFA with the number219623. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Sue

Other more informed members will no doubt know more that me. My notes suggest the number was issued early to mid February 1917.

• Admin
17 hours ago, Sue S said:

He was Frank Fairbank, a gunner in the RFA with the number219623.

His age and marital status might help e.g.219331 Lovatt (150 Brigade RFA) is in the medical records on FMP admitted 7th April 1918 shown as aged 19 with one year's service and nine months in the field.

219621 Sears (Repton) is above Fairbank in the RFA Medal Rolls he was awarded the Military Medal (January 1919) whilst serving with D (newspaper) or B (RFA awards database on FMP) Battery 50th Brigade RFA 9th Division.  I cannot say whether Gnr. Fairbanks was with him in that Brigade.

219624 Lockwood shown as 1104 Battery RFA was admitted to hospital in 1919 it appears he was serving in Egypt (not that  unusual my grandfather served in the RFA in France and was posted to Egypt post war). Though why Lockwood is not on the Medal Roll I don't know unless he was posted there after the Armistice and qualifying period.

219627 Cassell (age 31) admitted to hospital May 1918 shown as 15/12 service in the command   accords with @jay dubaya  date of February 1917

Only other ranks who received honours and awards are mentioned in the 50th Brigade war diary https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352511

(It also appears some of the soldiers recruited around the same time went to the MG Corps (Heavy Branch) and did not serve in France with the RFA hence accounting for some of the gaps in the Rolls).

Thanks Ken. There is a lot to consider and I may well get back to you with questions if that is okay. Frank was born in 1897 and was single. Regards Sue

• Admin

14 hours ago, Sue S said:

Frank was born in 1897 and was single.

Have you considered the Absent Voters List if it has survived?  It may or may not show his unit.

Is Frank Fairbank the farmer's son from Barkisland?

He. would have three routes into the Army either as a regular soldier (check 1921 Census).  This route was not for the Yorkshire Fairbank as he was  back at home working on the farm.

A Derby or Group Scheme attestation, this seems most likely  for our Yorkshire man. Only attested men could appeal to the Local Tribunal and if he had been conscripted he would have been mobilised at eighteen years and three months which I place as 1916.  

February 1917 accords with the 'manpower crisis' and the introduction of the Military Service (Review of Exceptions) Act which became law in April 1917 and combed out men, especially single men born 1895 -1898, from agriculture and other trades.  He would have been posted to the Reserve Brigade of the RFA  and after training been posted to an active service unit. Interestingly (well for us anoraks) the very last entry in the 50th Brigade RFA war diary refers to the 'demobilisation of Derby men'.

Generally it's often best to sort out who he was, where he was from etc before considering military service which for most was just a short, albeit memorable and often defining,  interlude in their life.  

We may not be able to pin down his unit though @David Porter may be able to, but we can at least do a broad brush account of his service. 

• kenf48 changed the title to Gnr 219623 Frank Fairbank RFA - help with war service please

As Jay suggested his number was issued in mid February 1917 at No. 1 Reserve Brigade RFA, South Camp, Ripon. Also known as No. 1 (TF) Artillery Training School, this unit was reduced in September 1917 with most men moving to other training establishments at Bettisfield Park or Catterick. Only 62nd Reserve Battery, formed at that time, remained as a remount training unit. Finding where he served overseas is not going to be easy without further evidence coming to light.

Thank you all so much for the information. Exceptional knowledge. and reasoning.

Yes, he is the farmer's son. I have checked the 1921 census and he is back at home.  I have used Absent Voter lists with varying degrees of success in the past. It is definitely worth a try and I will look into where they might be held.

Frank's son realises the difficulty in researching his dad's war service, he has been trying for some time.  But within less than 24 hours he has has learned when he dad joined , under what possible circumstances he enlisted and where, he enlisted  as well as a rough idea of when he may have gone to the Front. He and his family are delighted. Thank you.

If I find any further clues then I will post again and will certainly follow the avenues suggested. Kind regards Sue